This is a DISCUSS thread, for the record should we have a VOTE?

Kind Regards,
Brandon

On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 8:57 PM Caleb Rackliffe
<[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Alright, so I guess it's 
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/spaces/CASSANDRA/pages/158863606/Cassandra+Project+Governance
>
> What I would add is a new entry:
>
> 4. Code modifications made solely to existing tests require one non-author +1 
> committer vote.
>
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 7:29 PM Caleb Rackliffe <[email protected]> 
> wrote:
>>
>> It seems like everyone agrees with the basic idea here. The question is 
>> whether we actually need to codify anything/change wikis, etc. If we did, 
>> what would be the best place to do that?
>>
>> I have never +1’d a patch without reviewing it, and I guess I’m curious 
>> about whether I’m alone here 😅
>>
>> > On Sep 24, 2026, at 6:33 PM, Francisco Guerrero <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Sounds reasonable to me. +1
>> >
>> >> On 2026/09/24 23:02:03 Patrick McFadin wrote:
>> >> +1
>> >>
>> >> Patrick
>> >>
>> >>>> On Sep 24, 2026, at 3:29 PM, Josh McKenzie <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >>>
>> >>> 
>> >>>>
>> >>>> but it would be confusing if we introduce requirements that are 
>> >>>> inconsistent with those we already have.
>> >>> Seems like the requirements we already have are confusing to many now, 
>> >>> given some of the chatter on the other thread.
>> >>>
>> >>> I’m +1 to the above relaxations.
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026, at 5:40 PM, Benedict Elliott Smith wrote:
>> >>>> To reiterate, currently there is no requirement for committers to 
>> >>>> review a contribution. The policy is worded quite precisely: at least 
>> >>>> one *contributor* must review a change, and at least two committers 
>> >>>> must approve the change (one of whom may be the author).
>> >>>>
>> >>>> The approval may consist of trust that the contributor's experience is 
>> >>>> appropriate for the patch in question.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> I am open to the thrust of the refinement, but it would be confusing if 
>> >>>> we introduce requirements that are inconsistent with those we already 
>> >>>> have.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> On 2026/09/24 19:44:34 Caleb Rackliffe wrote:
>> >>>>> I'm spinning this out of the other thread we have going right now on 
>> >>>>> LLM
>> >>>>> usage...
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> I'd like to propose that we slightly change the way we deal with 
>> >>>>> incoming
>> >>>>> patches that only touch existing tests.
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> *Current Policy (and please correct me if I've misinterpreted our 
>> >>>>> current
>> >>>>> rules)*
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> Fixes from non-committer contributors that only touch existing tests 
>> >>>>> in an
>> >>>>> effort to stabilize them still require 2 committer reviewers before 
>> >>>>> commit.
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> *Proposed Policy*
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> Fixes of this type from non-committer contributors only require one
>> >>>>> committer review. CI verification of the effectiveness of the fix is 
>> >>>>> still
>> >>>>> required, etc.
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> ...
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> That's it. I'm just looking for ways to make small, reasonable changes 
>> >>>>> that
>> >>>>> might free up committer bandwidth for some of the larger, more
>> >>>>> earth-shaking things happening right now.
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>
>> >>

Reply via email to