Just as an aside. The confusion in this thread reminds me of a todo I had
several months ago when I was trying to clear the backlog in our Github
PRs. I participate in some CNCF projects, and as a feature for each
project, they run a series of health checks. I actually wonder if we are
overdoing things on the simple changes. Seems like an easy report to
generate. I'll take that on as a todo and see if I can create anything
helpful.

Patrick

On Fri, Sep 25, 2026 at 9:27 AM Caleb Rackliffe <[email protected]>
wrote:

> In the VOTE thread, I've just simplified to something like my original
> wording. I find it highly unlikely that a committer would commit a test fix
> without verifying CI results and taking a quick look at the change itself.
> If a change is really as trivial as correcting a typo in a test or
> something along those lines, the existing CTR policy seems relevant.
>
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2026 at 11:20 AM Shailaja Koppu via dev <
> [email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Is this ‘Commit Then Review’ available for non-committers? If not, can we
>> please add CTR or +1 reviewer requirement for non-committers for this case?
>>
>> Correcting typos, docs, website, and comments etc operate a “Commit Then
>> Review” policy
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Sep 25, 2026, at 5:05 PM, Caleb Rackliffe <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I'll start a VOTE thread...
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 25, 2026 at 11:03 AM Brandon Williams <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This is a DISCUSS thread, for the record should we have a VOTE?
>>>
>>> Kind Regards,
>>> Brandon
>>>
>>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 8:57 PM Caleb Rackliffe
>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> >
>>> > Alright, so I guess it's
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/spaces/CASSANDRA/pages/158863606/Cassandra+Project+Governance
>>> >
>>> > What I would add is a new entry:
>>> >
>>> > 4. Code modifications made solely to existing tests require one
>>> non-author +1 committer vote.
>>> >
>>> > On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 7:29 PM Caleb Rackliffe <
>>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>> >>
>>> >> It seems like everyone agrees with the basic idea here. The question
>>> is whether we actually need to codify anything/change wikis, etc. If we
>>> did, what would be the best place to do that?
>>> >>
>>> >> I have never +1’d a patch without reviewing it, and I guess I’m
>>> curious about whether I’m alone here 😅
>>> >>
>>> >> > On Sep 24, 2026, at 6:33 PM, Francisco Guerrero <[email protected]>
>>> wrote:
>>> >> >
>>> >> > Sounds reasonable to me. +1
>>> >> >
>>> >> >> On 2026/09/24 23:02:03 Patrick McFadin wrote:
>>> >> >> +1
>>> >> >>
>>> >> >> Patrick
>>> >> >>
>>> >> >>>> On Sep 24, 2026, at 3:29 PM, Josh McKenzie <[email protected]>
>>> wrote:
>>> >> >>>
>>> >> >>> 
>>> >> >>>>
>>> >> >>>> but it would be confusing if we introduce requirements that are
>>> inconsistent with those we already have.
>>> >> >>> Seems like the requirements we already have are confusing to many
>>> now, given some of the chatter on the other thread.
>>> >> >>>
>>> >> >>> I’m +1 to the above relaxations.
>>> >> >>>
>>> >> >>>
>>> >> >>>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026, at 5:40 PM, Benedict Elliott Smith wrote:
>>> >> >>>> To reiterate, currently there is no requirement for committers
>>> to review a contribution. The policy is worded quite precisely: at least
>>> one *contributor* must review a change, and at least two committers must
>>> approve the change (one of whom may be the author).
>>> >> >>>>
>>> >> >>>> The approval may consist of trust that the contributor's
>>> experience is appropriate for the patch in question.
>>> >> >>>>
>>> >> >>>> I am open to the thrust of the refinement, but it would be
>>> confusing if we introduce requirements that are inconsistent with those we
>>> already have.
>>> >> >>>>
>>> >> >>>> On 2026/09/24 19:44:34 Caleb Rackliffe wrote:
>>> >> >>>>> I'm spinning this out of the other thread we have going right
>>> now on LLM
>>> >> >>>>> usage...
>>> >> >>>>>
>>> >> >>>>> I'd like to propose that we slightly change the way we deal
>>> with incoming
>>> >> >>>>> patches that only touch existing tests.
>>> >> >>>>>
>>> >> >>>>> *Current Policy (and please correct me if I've misinterpreted
>>> our current
>>> >> >>>>> rules)*
>>> >> >>>>>
>>> >> >>>>> Fixes from non-committer contributors that only touch existing
>>> tests in an
>>> >> >>>>> effort to stabilize them still require 2 committer reviewers
>>> before commit.
>>> >> >>>>>
>>> >> >>>>> *Proposed Policy*
>>> >> >>>>>
>>> >> >>>>> Fixes of this type from non-committer contributors only require
>>> one
>>> >> >>>>> committer review. CI verification of the effectiveness of the
>>> fix is still
>>> >> >>>>> required, etc.
>>> >> >>>>>
>>> >> >>>>> ...
>>> >> >>>>>
>>> >> >>>>> That's it. I'm just looking for ways to make small, reasonable
>>> changes that
>>> >> >>>>> might free up committer bandwidth for some of the larger, more
>>> >> >>>>> earth-shaking things happening right now.
>>> >> >>>>>
>>> >> >>>>
>>> >> >>
>>>
>>
>>

Reply via email to