In the VOTE thread, I've just simplified to something like my original
wording. I find it highly unlikely that a committer would commit a test fix
without verifying CI results and taking a quick look at the change itself.
If a change is really as trivial as correcting a typo in a test or
something along those lines, the existing CTR policy seems relevant.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2026 at 11:20 AM Shailaja Koppu via dev <
[email protected]> wrote:

> Is this ‘Commit Then Review’ available for non-committers? If not, can we
> please add CTR or +1 reviewer requirement for non-committers for this case?
>
> Correcting typos, docs, website, and comments etc operate a “Commit Then
> Review” policy
>
>
>
>
> On Sep 25, 2026, at 5:05 PM, Caleb Rackliffe <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> I'll start a VOTE thread...
>
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2026 at 11:03 AM Brandon Williams <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> This is a DISCUSS thread, for the record should we have a VOTE?
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>> Brandon
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 8:57 PM Caleb Rackliffe
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Alright, so I guess it's
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/spaces/CASSANDRA/pages/158863606/Cassandra+Project+Governance
>> >
>> > What I would add is a new entry:
>> >
>> > 4. Code modifications made solely to existing tests require one
>> non-author +1 committer vote.
>> >
>> > On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 7:29 PM Caleb Rackliffe <
>> [email protected]> wrote:
>> >>
>> >> It seems like everyone agrees with the basic idea here. The question
>> is whether we actually need to codify anything/change wikis, etc. If we
>> did, what would be the best place to do that?
>> >>
>> >> I have never +1’d a patch without reviewing it, and I guess I’m
>> curious about whether I’m alone here 😅
>> >>
>> >> > On Sep 24, 2026, at 6:33 PM, Francisco Guerrero <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>> >> >
>> >> > Sounds reasonable to me. +1
>> >> >
>> >> >> On 2026/09/24 23:02:03 Patrick McFadin wrote:
>> >> >> +1
>> >> >>
>> >> >> Patrick
>> >> >>
>> >> >>>> On Sep 24, 2026, at 3:29 PM, Josh McKenzie <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>> >> >>>
>> >> >>> 
>> >> >>>>
>> >> >>>> but it would be confusing if we introduce requirements that are
>> inconsistent with those we already have.
>> >> >>> Seems like the requirements we already have are confusing to many
>> now, given some of the chatter on the other thread.
>> >> >>>
>> >> >>> I’m +1 to the above relaxations.
>> >> >>>
>> >> >>>
>> >> >>>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026, at 5:40 PM, Benedict Elliott Smith wrote:
>> >> >>>> To reiterate, currently there is no requirement for committers to
>> review a contribution. The policy is worded quite precisely: at least one
>> *contributor* must review a change, and at least two committers must
>> approve the change (one of whom may be the author).
>> >> >>>>
>> >> >>>> The approval may consist of trust that the contributor's
>> experience is appropriate for the patch in question.
>> >> >>>>
>> >> >>>> I am open to the thrust of the refinement, but it would be
>> confusing if we introduce requirements that are inconsistent with those we
>> already have.
>> >> >>>>
>> >> >>>> On 2026/09/24 19:44:34 Caleb Rackliffe wrote:
>> >> >>>>> I'm spinning this out of the other thread we have going right
>> now on LLM
>> >> >>>>> usage...
>> >> >>>>>
>> >> >>>>> I'd like to propose that we slightly change the way we deal with
>> incoming
>> >> >>>>> patches that only touch existing tests.
>> >> >>>>>
>> >> >>>>> *Current Policy (and please correct me if I've misinterpreted
>> our current
>> >> >>>>> rules)*
>> >> >>>>>
>> >> >>>>> Fixes from non-committer contributors that only touch existing
>> tests in an
>> >> >>>>> effort to stabilize them still require 2 committer reviewers
>> before commit.
>> >> >>>>>
>> >> >>>>> *Proposed Policy*
>> >> >>>>>
>> >> >>>>> Fixes of this type from non-committer contributors only require
>> one
>> >> >>>>> committer review. CI verification of the effectiveness of the
>> fix is still
>> >> >>>>> required, etc.
>> >> >>>>>
>> >> >>>>> ...
>> >> >>>>>
>> >> >>>>> That's it. I'm just looking for ways to make small, reasonable
>> changes that
>> >> >>>>> might free up committer bandwidth for some of the larger, more
>> >> >>>>> earth-shaking things happening right now.
>> >> >>>>>
>> >> >>>>
>> >> >>
>>
>
>

Reply via email to