It seems like everyone agrees with the basic idea here. The question is whether 
we actually need to codify anything/change wikis, etc. If we did, what would be 
the best place to do that?

I have never +1’d a patch without reviewing it, and I guess I’m curious about 
whether I’m alone here 😅

> On Sep 24, 2026, at 6:33 PM, Francisco Guerrero <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Sounds reasonable to me. +1
> 
>> On 2026/09/24 23:02:03 Patrick McFadin wrote:
>> +1
>> 
>> Patrick
>> 
>>>> On Sep 24, 2026, at 3:29 PM, Josh McKenzie <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> but it would be confusing if we introduce requirements that are 
>>>> inconsistent with those we already have.
>>> Seems like the requirements we already have are confusing to many now, 
>>> given some of the chatter on the other thread.
>>> 
>>> I’m +1 to the above relaxations.
>>> 
>>> 
>>>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026, at 5:40 PM, Benedict Elliott Smith wrote:
>>>> To reiterate, currently there is no requirement for committers to review a 
>>>> contribution. The policy is worded quite precisely: at least one 
>>>> *contributor* must review a change, and at least two committers must 
>>>> approve the change (one of whom may be the author).
>>>> 
>>>> The approval may consist of trust that the contributor's experience is 
>>>> appropriate for the patch in question.
>>>> 
>>>> I am open to the thrust of the refinement, but it would be confusing if we 
>>>> introduce requirements that are inconsistent with those we already have.
>>>> 
>>>> On 2026/09/24 19:44:34 Caleb Rackliffe wrote:
>>>>> I'm spinning this out of the other thread we have going right now on LLM
>>>>> usage...
>>>>> 
>>>>> I'd like to propose that we slightly change the way we deal with incoming
>>>>> patches that only touch existing tests.
>>>>> 
>>>>> *Current Policy (and please correct me if I've misinterpreted our current
>>>>> rules)*
>>>>> 
>>>>> Fixes from non-committer contributors that only touch existing tests in an
>>>>> effort to stabilize them still require 2 committer reviewers before 
>>>>> commit.
>>>>> 
>>>>> *Proposed Policy*
>>>>> 
>>>>> Fixes of this type from non-committer contributors only require one
>>>>> committer review. CI verification of the effectiveness of the fix is still
>>>>> required, etc.
>>>>> 
>>>>> ...
>>>>> 
>>>>> That's it. I'm just looking for ways to make small, reasonable changes 
>>>>> that
>>>>> might free up committer bandwidth for some of the larger, more
>>>>> earth-shaking things happening right now.
>>>>> 
>>>> 
>> 

Reply via email to