On Thursday 5 September 2024 15:34:06 BST Dale wrote:
> Michael wrote:
> > Since I upgraded to KDE Frameworks 6 I have observed some rather unwanted
> > window behaviours.
> >
> > 1. Window Interaction with Gkrellm
> >
> > DESIRED BEHAVIOUR:
> > ==================
> > I have Gkrellm started up by Plasma at login and placed at the top left of
> > the screen.  I can't remember where/how I set this up, but at least it is
> > still respected by KDE 6.  I've always set Gkrellm via its Configuration
> > > General > Properties with:
> >
> > + Set sticky state
> >
> > + Set window type to be a dock or panel
> >
> > This allowed the following interaction with other application windows:
> >
> > - Other windows would launch without overlapping the Gkrellm window.  On
> > an
> > otherwise empty desktop they would be placed on the right of it.
> > - When a window was maximised it did not extend sideways to cover the
> > whole
> > screen beyond the position of the the Grkellm.
> > - When I dragged a window to force it to infringe the boundary of the
> > Gkrellm window, the Gkrellm would overlap the dragged window.
>
> I'm having issues with gkrellm as well.  I tend to put gkrellm on
> desktop 10 on the left side.  I'd like it to be on screen 1 as well.
> When I first login, gkrellm is on desktop 1 and on screen 2.  I have to
> move it every time.

Gkrellm should show up on all desktops, if you select 'Set sticky state'.
However, I understand the position on the desktop is a Plasma setting, not an
application setting.

> Usually I right click on the top bar of a window,
> select More Actions and either Window Settings or Application Settings,
> depending on which I want.  I can then add Properties and set it like I
> want.  It is best to have it like you want it before you start.  It
> already has the settings that way.  I do this for Seamonkey, both
> browser and email, QB and a few other apps.  Thing is, gkrellm doesn't
> have a title bar to right click on.

If you right click on the Gkrellm on the Plasma toolbar you will be access the
same Plasma window decorations as other windows have.  Or, easier, click
Alt+F3 to popup the Plasma window menu on any application.

There is also a Grekllm setting under General > Properties > "Use window type
decorations", but you'll have to restart Gkrellm for any changes to show up if
you select this.

> It works fine on my old rig but not
> on the new rig.  When I had to use the old rig to watch TV, I checked, I
> couldn't find anything that tells gkrellm to be where it is but it comes
> up where I want it each time, apparently without me doing anything at
> all.  New rig, it goes to the wrong place every single time.  It's wrong
> but it is consistent.

Quit Gkrellm, then relaunch it and place it where you want it on the screen.
Hopefully Plasma will store this and survive a logout.  If not, open the
Window decoration Plasma menu of Gkrellm after you reveal it as mentioned
above and add the window 'Position' property.  Apply, then click OK.

NOTE:  I found such window positioning behavior to be particularly bad on X11
as opposed to Wayland, but I understand NVidia is not yet working as well on
Wayland so YMMV.

> I have KDE set to remember what was open and where at logout.  I don't
> know if KDE just isn't remembering where to put gkrellm because it isn't
> really a window or what.  I might add tho, even tho screen 1 is set as
> primary, it still acts like screen 2 is primary for some things.  I
> wonder if that is why gkrellm parks itself on screen 2 instead.  Some
> apps I use open to screen 2 until I set up a rule forcing it to open on
> screen 1.  It should open there by default but it doesn't.  I might add,
> when I plug in a USB stick, the notification thingy pops up on screen 2,
> not screen 1 where it should be.

Hmm ... from what I see here notifications always popup on the primary screen
- assuming you have no task bar on your secondary screen.

Also, if you click to launch an application, but you move your mouse and click
quickly on the wallpaper on another screen, the application will launch on the
screen you placed and clicked your mouse on.

> I mention all this because it might give you a clue on where or how KDE
> is working now.  Clearly gkrellm is unique because I can get everything
> else to work right, even if I have to force it with window/application
> rules.
>
> Oh, when looking at window rules in System Settings, it has a export and
> import feature.  I never saw that before.  Might be new.  It's at the
> top I think.  If you use that tool, may want to back up your settings
> when you get everything done.
>
> Hope that gives you some clue to a fix.  Maybe.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

SystemSettings > Window Management > Window Rules, shows any windows you have
set bespoke settings for.  You can add and modify application window settings
there, or you can do the same Alt+F3, the select More Actions and use the
settings at the bottom of the menu.