I read through the rust policy and all I could think of is how more confusing this could be. We already have people confused on how to contribute and now we’re going to make it worse? And looking over our previous commit history, even the rules we have aren’t behind held up. 

We do not need people to read the US Tax code as a pre-req.

Can we go back to simple please? Blake already nailed it. 

Patrick

On Sep 28, 2026, at 12:45 PM, Aleksey Yeshchenko via dev <[email protected]> wrote:

It is a little confusing to keep track of the proposed diffs to Rust's policy. I think David is preparing a version with all the changes applied to it, so there is no ambiguity.

How would we handle the “Non-critical” part of the experimental section? The policy exempts rust-lang members from that… does this mean we’d exempt committers but not non-committers. What’s the Cassandra analog of the non-critical section?

The modified proposal removes that paragraph (about exemptions) altogether, thus treating all C* developers equally and allowing code generation for non-critical parts only for everyone.

If you are still confused (which would be understandable - it is confusing), perhaps wait for David's doc, to make sure we are all on the same page wrt what's being proposed first.

--
AY

On 28 Sep 2026, at 20:16, Blake Eggleston <[email protected]> wrote:

This is something I could support as well.

2 things:

Our docs tend to be neglected. While ideally our docs would be 100% human generated, they’re mostly just not generated at the moment. While not ideal, I think relaxing the rust LLM policy as it relates to docs would  be a net positive for users, provided they’re human reviewed and edited.

How would we handle the “Non-critical” part of the experimental section? The policy exempts rust-lang members from that… does this mean we’d exempt committers but not non-committers. What’s the Cassandra analog of the non-critical section?

On Mon, Sep 28, 2026, at 12:10 PM, Francisco Guerrero wrote:
I've gone over the the Rust policy. I am in support of the Rust
version with the tweaks proposed by Caleb.

Best,
- Francisco

On 2026/09/28 18:45:03 Aleksey Yeshchenko via dev wrote:
> Some last minute amends to the suggested policy's TL;DR, with Caleb's approval:
> 
> - It’s fine to use LLMs to answer questions, analyze, distill, refine, check, suggest, review.
> - LLMs work best when used as a tool to write better, not faster.
> 
> "But not to create." bit is covered in detail by the full policy and is impossible to summarise well in two words.
> 
> With other changes as outlined by Caleb in the quoted email, I would be happy to support this fine-tuned version of Rust's policy.
> 
> --
> AY
> 
> > On 28 Sep 2026, at 19:27, Caleb Rackliffe <[email protected]> wrote:
> > 
> > To clarify, I would remove the "Experimental" tag and make that section apply to all contributors. (In other words, encourage attribution, quality, and human decision-making for all of us.)
> > 
> > The spirit of this is really a one line change to the Rust policy:
> > 
> > > It’s fine to use LLMs to answer questions, analyze, distill, refine, check, suggest, review. But not to create.
> > 
> > ...becomes...
> > 
> > It’s fine to use LLMs to answer questions, analyze, distill, refine, check, suggest, review. But not to decide.
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 12:54 PM Caleb Rackliffe <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
> >> I finally read the Rust and Lucene policy docs in more detail...
> >> 
> >> 
> >> I think I agree with a lot of what's written in both, and they overlap quite a lot, especially around communication (docs, issue comments, etc.) that should be primarily human-to-human. Everything useful in the Lucene policy is already included in the Rust policy though. If we could take the Rust policy, generalize away the Rust-specific things, simplify it, and remove the "Experimental" tag (and probably the "non-critical" qualifier) on the "LLM-created code changes intended of review" section, I think that's something a large majority of us would be able to live with.
> >> 
> >> If we can get this right, it's simply clarifying the set of things contributors (including existing committers) can do to have the best chance at getting engagement from reviewers.
> >> 
> >> I don't know how much appetite there is out there for a formal draft of this, and we already have 3-4 proposals, but I could attempt it if that would be useful...
> >> 
> >> 
> >> On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 10:50 AM Štefan Miklošovič <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
> >>> A clarification from my side, I asked "what is wrong with this" in my
> >>> latest email:
> >>> 
> >>> "For these reasons, it should be expected that the person producing
> >>> the patch has already demonstrated their expertise and commitment by
> >>> producing and maintaining similar patches without the use of AI"
> >>> 
> >>> It is "almost fine", the part of "similar patches without the use of
> >>> AI" should not be there. It should stop before that.
> >>> 
> >>> Otherwise this is going to exclude people who have a decade of
> >>> experience with Cassandra and contributed countless patches of various
> >>> size and complexity while according to that exact wording, they would
> >>> not be eligible to contribute an AI patch. That is silly. I think this
> >>> is wrong. It does not matter how it was produced. What is important is
> >>> established trust and if a patch is correct. What does even the size
> >>> of a patch have in common with that? Expertise and commitment! Not
> >>> "the series of patches this committer ever produced was not complex
> >>> enough so we can't take that code in".
> >>> 
> >>> Also, who is exactly going to measure that anyway? What are the
> >>> _objective_ criteria who qualifies? Somebody might come and say "while
> >>> based on my criteria, (because I do not like this person), I do not
> >>> think that the patches of this person qualify, because ...". We need
> >>> hard data on whether it can be merged or not, performance improvement,
> >>> stability ...
> >>> 
> >>> I think this particular wording would need to be refined further.
> >>> 
> >>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 4:34 PM Štefan Miklošovič
> >>> <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
> >>> >
> >>> > Right ... for that reason I don't think we should restrict anybody to
> >>> > create a PR or anything like that, putting some artificial constraints
> >>> > people will eventually bypass anyway. We don't have that under
> >>> > control. What we have under control is the review part of that. A
> >>> > patch not merged will not be released. The review itself is the
> >>> > "gate".
> >>> >
> >>> > If a PR, even done by AI, is up to standards, has everything it should
> >>> > have and it is technically correct, then I can not reject to merge
> >>> > that only on the basis it was AI-generated. A patch like a patch. The
> >>> > code speaks. The ultimate gate is if a patch is correct or not, not
> >>> > how it was produced.
> >>> >
> >>> > Do I gravitate with my trust more towards established members of the
> >>> > community? Definitely. The trust is earned over the years. Implicitly,
> >>> > I am trusting a newcomer less. Sorry but not sorry. If somebody calls
> >>> > this "gating", I don't think they see the nuances enough. Yeah, call
> >>> > it a gate if you want ...
> >>> >
> >>> > That is why I agree with Benedict here, he said:
> >>> >
> >>> > "For these reasons, it should be expected that the person producing
> >>> > the patch has already demonstrated their expertise and commitment by
> >>> > producing and maintaining similar patches without the use of AI".
> >>> >
> >>> > What is wrong about this?
> >>> >
> >>> > Look at this contributor (1). This is an excellent example. 10 patches
> >>> > in fast cadence three weeks ago. We never heard about this person
> >>> > before nor after the patches were created. What about hitting a ML
> >>> > saying "hey, guys, I have a set of patches which scratch my itches,
> >>> > can you take a look, please?". I don't know ... just be a bit ...
> >>> > human about all of this? The maintainers are people too. I am not
> >>> > obliged to take in and cooperate with whoever comes by, dumps their
> >>> > stuff and then they ... wait. Well, so wait. See where you got three
> >>> > weeks after? Nowhere.
> >>> >
> >>> > Caleb put it nicely, we are "only" humans.
> >>> >
> >>> >
> >>> > On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 2:51 PM Shailaja Koppu via dev
> >>> > <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
> >>> > >
> >>> > > Hi Stefan,
> >>> > >
> >>> > > From personal side, I completely agree with you. I am giving potential options only to address concerns like - new contributors overwhelming the community with AI generated PRs just to show as add-on in their profile and vanish after that, or purely AI opened PRs without developer review or understanding. But the later can happen with anyone including committers due to workload/deadlines or misled by AI etc. Also, someone can copy a AI generated patch line by line skipping comments, which looks like a handwritten code.
> >>> > >
> >>> > >
> >>> > > Thanks,
> >>> > > Shailaja
> >>> > >
> >>> > >
> >>> > >
> >>> > > > On Sep 28, 2026, at 12:23 PM, Štefan Miklošovič <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
> >>> > > >
> >>> > > >> - Only Cassandra committers may submit AI-assisted PRs. This would mean new contributors first write and understand code without AI before becoming committers; or
> >>> > > >> - Contributors may submit AI-assisted changes in a component/subcomponent only after they have submitted at least one non-AI PR in that component/subcomponent.
> >>> > > >
> >>> > > > I am not sure if I am missing something but can you all explain in
> >>> > > > simple terms how is this actually enforceable in practice?
> >>> > > >
> >>> > > > "Only Cassandra committers may submit AI-assisted PRs" - there is no
> >>> > > > restriction who can create a PR and how. It is not like we see that a
> >>> > > > PR is created with heavy AI usage, then we check if a contributor is a
> >>> > > > committer and when they are not we comment on that PR saying - "hold
> >>> > > > your horses mate, we checked the list and you are not a committer,
> >>> > > > sorry, we have to close this".
> >>> > > >
> >>> > > > If a PR is crafted "carefuly" then it might look like a completely
> >>> > > > legitimate piece of work while it is still 100% prompted and the
> >>> > > > author does not have a clue what they did. I mean ... how do you make
> >>> > > > the difference between what is "real" and what is AI-driven 100%? I
> >>> > > > think that even if we "guessed" which one is which, the possibility to
> >>> > > > see this is being progressively erased as this tech is evolving and we
> >>> > > > will eventually not have a clue.
> >>> > >
> 
> 


Reply via email to