>  > One hostile reaction to them would, I’m guessing, be that guideline number 
> 1 is too weak, and that the burden of quality would continue to rest entirely 
> on committer reviewers. I suppose my reply there would be that anyone who 
> continually spams the project with patches they do not fully understand wound 
> incur a pretty heavy reputational penalty and the problem would more or less 
> sort itself out.

Yeah I think in practice that person would stop getting reviews pretty quickly

> To my eye, 2 and 3 are redundant. I’m all about KISS here. 

Understanding a patch is a bit different than having experience working on the 
same area over time.


On Thu, Sep 24, 2026, at 5:56 PM, Patrick McFadin wrote:
> To my eye, 2 and 3 are redundant. I’m all about KISS here. 
> 
> Patrick
> 
> > On Sep 24, 2026, at 5:40 PM, Caleb Rackliffe <[email protected]> 
> > wrote:
> > Blake, I’d support those 3 guidelines.
> > 
> > One hostile reaction to them would, I’m guessing, be that guideline number 
> > 1 is too weak, and that the burden of quality would continue to rest 
> > entirely on committer reviewers. I suppose my reply there would be that 
> > anyone who continually spams the project with patches they do not fully 
> > understand wound incur a pretty heavy reputational penalty and the problem 
> > would more or less sort itself out.
> > 
> > 
> >> On Sep 24, 2026, at 6:07 PM, Benedict Elliott Smith <[email protected]> 
> >> wrote:
> >> 
> >> For the record Josh, I am including pre-3.0. I was involved in customer 
> >> support escalations for 1.2, 2.0 and 2.1: the software was shoddy, to put 
> >> it mildly. 8099 was a symptom, not the disease.
> >> 
> >> The project had a culture of doing stuff without sufficient care or 
> >> consideration. This is by no means a simple matter of needing more testing 
> >> or less timeline pressure, nor is it easy to define a "bar" to ensure it 
> >> does not regress. If we had simple metrics, we would have settled it a 
> >> long time ago.
> >> 
> >> You can still see customer scars crop up on forum discussions periodically.
> >> 
> >> 
> >> On 2026/09/24 19:01:02 Josh McKenzie wrote:
> >>>> Apache Cassandra was fundamentally undeployable for four years between 
> >>>> Nov 2015 - 2019.
> >>> CASSANDRA-8099 was a maximal manifestation of a specific approach to 
> >>> engineering and calendar constraints we've seen time and again on the 
> >>> project; I don't want us to conflate things here. That was a herculean 
> >>> monolithic body of work performed in inhuman conditions (in vim!) that 
> >>> was ultimately so invasive, all the unit tests in the code-base were 
> >>> commented out and Jake and I spent a grueling 1.5-2 months hand-rewriting 
> >>> basically all the unit tests in that code-base to get things to even 
> >>> build and run, much less pass.
> >>> Massive blast radius changes that are un-sustainably complex, 
> >>> under-tested, where we don't property, fuzz, check coverage, check 
> >>> complexity, or A/B compare against a known good system (i.e. pre/post) 
> >>> correctness testing are going to destabilize the database at any time 
> >>> under any regime of tooling. We certainly could speed-run our way back 
> >>> into destabilization with LLM's as they are a force multiplier for both 
> >>> the good and the bad of one's engineering practices, but that's a 
> >>> solvable problem by better defining what our bars of quality are 
> >>> (Definition of Done anyone?) and holding ourselves accountable to 
> >>> delivering at that bar.
> >>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026, at 2:40 PM, David Capwell via dev wrote:
> >>>>> if you really want to pursue it I would ask that we do it offline to 
> >>>>> avoid polluting an already busy conversation
> >>>> People are directly responding saying that they feel discrimination 
> >>>> currently and that the policy tries to codify that discrimination, so I 
> >>>> feel its 100% on topic. This thread has presented 0 evidence that LLM 
> >>>> usage has lowered the quality of contributions merged and has so far 
> >>>> been vibes and feeling; I have yet to see any evidence to justify such 
> >>>> discrimination so I will keep pushing back until such evidence is 
> >>>> presented so we can have a informed debate.
> >>>>> namely how we handle shallow and localised bug fixes. I would be happy 
> >>>>> adding a clear entry to the “Permitted” section for this. No doubt 
> >>>>> there are many refinements needed to the Restricted text as well, that 
> >>>>> might also capture some of your concerns.
> >>>> I will not sign off on cherry picking areas where "safe" to use a tool; 
> >>>> so no it does not capture my concerns.
> >>>>> I don't know if everyone remembers, but ten years ago Cassandra was 
> >>>>> full of serious correctness and stability issues. Despite developing 
> >>>>> it, I would not have run it myself or recommend that anyone use it. We 
> >>>>> have dug ourselves out of that hole, but it took years of discipline 
> >>>>> and effort, and we're still (deservedly) recovering our reputation.
> >>>>> Let's use this new technology to improve the quality of our 
> >>>>> contributions, not squander our hard-earned gains in the name of speed. 
> >>>>> It will be hard to recover our reputation a second time.
> >>>> I do recall the 3.x line and put in a significant amount of effort to 
> >>>> harden it. There were behaviors I noticed after joining Cassandra that I 
> >>>> feel directly contributed to 3.0 and the decade of catch up; behaviors 
> >>>> that still linger in parts of the community today.
> >>>> As I look on trunk and look at committed code and trace back to PRs and 
> >>>> JIRA I see the following:
> >>>> • large patches approved without comments
> >>>> • 0 evidence that tests were run
> >>>> I then look at our CI and see tests failing for months. As you start to 
> >>>> triage you start to see some of them show real issues; yet they linger 
> >>>> for months not being addressed... when CI is unstable it takes a lot of 
> >>>> effort to triage "did my patch break the test", and I have seen time and 
> >>>> time again people do not put in that effort, and shrug off as "its just 
> >>>> a flakey test"; then our CI failure rate grows.
> >>>> Non of this has anything to do with LLMs but LLMs running in this 
> >>>> environment is far more dangerous as there are not checks in place to 
> >>>> "hold the bar". I am all for raising the bar universally; expecting both 
> >>>> humans and LLMs to match that bar.
> >>>>> `I’d support something that boils down to roughly this:
> >>>>> 1.) 2 committers must understand an LLM-assisted change before it 
> >>>>> commits. (Perhaps separately we can explore the question of why we 
> >>>>> haven’t added any new committers to the core project for about a year. 
> >>>>> I’m also still not entirely sure if it’s acceptable within our 
> >>>>> guidelines for a committer to +1 a patch after delegating review.)
> >>>>> 2.) Patch authors must demonstrate enough understanding to discuss 
> >>>>> their own patch, whether or not parts of it are generated by an LLM.
> >>>>> 3.) The “Assisted-by” tag should be used to indicate any non-trivial 
> >>>>> LLM usage in the generation of a patch, just like we have used 
> >>>>> Co-authored-by historically.
> >>>>> 4.) Comments and other things that aren't the actual code (but could 
> >>>>> sow confusion) should be held to the same standard we'd expect from a 
> >>>>> human writer. If we don’t yet agree on that standard, we can formalize 
> >>>>> enough of it to guide both humans and LLMs.
> >>> `
> >>>> I can get behind this proposal but i would tweak it as 1/2 i don't think 
> >>>> really need to special case LLM usage
> >>>> 1. 2 committers must understand the change before it commits.
> >>>> 2. Patch authors must demonstrate enough understanding to discuss their 
> >>>> own patch
> >>>> Nothing about those 2 need to be scoped to LLM usage and honestly 
> >>>> matches most PMCs I have talked to understanding of our bar (as Benedict 
> >>>> pointed out, the actual wording could be interpreted to allow rubber 
> >>>> stamping from committer)
> >>>> As for 3 I am cool with this. ASF recommends the same (it says 
> >>>> `Generated-by` but that discount's the human's effort) as its useful for 
> >>>> audits and tooling. Having `Assisted-by` tag should not imply anything 
> >>>> about the committed patch as it should have gone through the same bar we 
> >>>> all expect; its just for tools auditing.
> >>>>> On Sep 24, 2026, at 10:37 AM, Aleksey Yeshchenko via dev 
> >>>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>>>> Meant "doing away with", sorry. Non-native speaker with a headache 
> >>>>> here. Thanks Caleb for spotting.
> >>>>>> On 24 Sep 2026, at 17:35, Aleksey Yeshchenko via dev 
> >>>>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>>>>> P.S. I assume it's obvious from the text above that I don't believe 
> >>>>>> that getting away with human code review is a viable option.
> >>>>>> On 24 Sep 2026, at 17:37, Štefan Miklošovič <[email protected]> 
> >>>>>> wrote:
> >>>>>> Good call on checkerframework, we even have a patch for it. Work of
> >>>>>> Jacek Lewandowski. We might just drive it to completion. Using AI for
> >>>>>> finishing it would be quite ironic.
> >>>>>> (1) https://github.com/apache/cassandra/pull/2370
> >>>>>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 6:19 PM Jon Haddad <[email protected]> 
> >>>>>> wrote:
> >>>>>>> There are some really good points being brought up about stability of 
> >>>>>>> the codebase, maintainability, quality of reviews, correctness bugs, 
> >>>>>>> and I agree with all of them.  I think it would be helpful to take a 
> >>>>>>> step back and consider how those bugs got there in the first place, 
> >>>>>>> how they were fixed, and what we could do to further advance the 
> >>>>>>> codebase so they don't creep back.  LLMs can be used either with very 
> >>>>>>> tight guardrails, or in what's effectively YOLO mode, and there's a 
> >>>>>>> big difference in the quality of the results you get.
> >>>>>>> One thing to keep in mind, a lot of the initial code in C* was added 
> >>>>>>> without comprehensive testing.  I hope we can all agree that it's a 
> >>>>>>> lot easier to break code that doesn't have high quality tests.  
> >>>>>>> During the code freeze, a lot of people people spent several years 
> >>>>>>> relentlessly finding and fixing bugs. This was probably a pretty 
> >>>>>>> frustrating time for anyone who was focused on fixing other people's 
> >>>>>>> bugs when they wanted to build features.  I think we should recognize 
> >>>>>>> the effort here and appreciate the foundation that the project stands 
> >>>>>>> on now. I can understand how anyone involved with this effort would 
> >>>>>>> be apprehensive about seeing years of their life swept away by an 
> >>>>>>> agent that was driven by goal seeking to remove all the tests that it 
> >>>>>>> broke instead of fixing them.
> >>>>>>> When I picked up the work to improve cursor compaction, the first 
> >>>>>>> thing I asked myself was how can I make sure I don't break this?  How 
> >>>>>>> do I even know it works properly?  There were some tricky parts to 
> >>>>>>> the code, and I really didn't want to come in and immediately break 
> >>>>>>> stuff.  That's why I started with an entire patch dedicated to adding 
> >>>>>>> test infra to it.  90% of the patch was tests, and in my other cursor 
> >>>>>>> patches, it remains *at least* 80% of my patches.  It was a *lot* 
> >>>>>>> faster to add almost 10K lines of tests that handled a byte for byte 
> >>>>>>> differential testing paired with harry to find over 30 bugs that 
> >>>>>>> caused cursor to corrupt results.  Range tombstones alone were at 
> >>>>>>> least a dozen bugs, but I also found issues with static columns, 
> >>>>>>> reverse ordering, etc.  Randomizing schemas and data in burn tests to 
> >>>>>>> generate different shapes of data, to ensure they all result in the 
> >>>>>>> same output at the end. JMH tests to ensure there weren't performance 
> >>>>>>> regressions, hours of profiling. These were all a *lot* easier to do 
> >>>>>>> with the LLM helping me out.  In the process I've found bugs that 
> >>>>>>> have been lingering in the codebase for years.
> >>>>>>> That's a long story, but hopefully we all agree that having 
> >>>>>>> comprehensive tests is a great way to ensure that both humans and 
> >>>>>>> LLMs don't break things that are working.
> >>>>>>> The lesson: we need to keep improving our testing.  Everything that 
> >>>>>>> we touch, should be left in a better state than how we found it with 
> >>>>>>> regard to test coverage.
> >>>>>>> Test coverage isn't everything though, there's always little subtle 
> >>>>>>> bugs that don't get found in testing, that can slip in despite our 
> >>>>>>> best efforts.  It's debatable if humans will be as good as agents for 
> >>>>>>> coding in the long term, for spotting small defects.  I sincerely 
> >>>>>>> doubt it.  For the time being though, we still have people involved. 
> >>>>>>> It's probably a good time to start using more static analysis tools 
> >>>>>>> to identify problematic code and to add this to CI.  Dmitry had a 
> >>>>>>> suggestion recently for checkerframework to detect leaking contexts, 
> >>>>>>> a problem he spotted when reviewing my branch.  It would be great to 
> >>>>>>> have that integrated into our CI and dev workflow so we can simply 
> >>>>>>> avoid an entire class of bugs.
> >>>>>>> There's also PMD, which is excellent for finding code that can be 
> >>>>>>> hard to understand.  I *highly* suggest you all run PMD to analyze 
> >>>>>>> for cognitive complexity and high npath scores.  This was made 
> >>>>>>> popular by the folks at Sonar and I've found it to be an excellent 
> >>>>>>> feedback mechanism for structuring code.  The default max they set is 
> >>>>>>> 15, which is the point where it starts to become difficult to verify 
> >>>>>>> something works without making a massive investment.  We've got areas 
> >>>>>>> in the codebase that are in the hundreds, and some parts even higher. 
> >>>>>>>  These have been contributed by humans, and are all high risk points 
> >>>>>>> for both humans and agents to start messing around with.  They're 
> >>>>>>> also in some fairly critical areas that are very likely to break, so 
> >>>>>>> I understand why people would not want an agent anywhere near it.
> >>>>>>> Unfortunately, it's not an easy problem to address.  There's so many 
> >>>>>>> places where the code is structured in a way that has so many 
> >>>>>>> branches, so many conditions, that it's effectively impossible for a 
> >>>>>>> human to understand, creating a fear of messing around in it.  
> >>>>>>> There's plenty of areas that deserve extreme scrutiny, and we should 
> >>>>>>> be careful of what we add, whether it's human or agent.
> >>>>>>> The codebase today requires a high degree of internal knowledge to 
> >>>>>>> navigate.  There's land mines everywhere. We should be looking to 
> >>>>>>> make conscious improvements by moving the code forward, so it's 
> >>>>>>> easier to make changes to small, well tested components with minimal 
> >>>>>>> side effects.  Not making it harder for people to use the tools that 
> >>>>>>> aid in that process.
> >>>>>>> Here's what we could do to achieve the underlying goal of not 
> >>>>>>> breaking the DB:
> >>>>>>> Add cognitive complexlity and npath via PMD as a feedback mechanism.
> >>>>>>> Code that's hard to understand is hard to review.  It's also hard to 
> >>>>>>> test. Let's break down the complex code so more people can 
> >>>>>>> contribute, safely.
> >>>>>>> Add checkerframework to our tooling,
> >>>>>>> Properly annotate the codebase for it and reduce the surface area 
> >>>>>>> that things can break.  Less brittle codebase = we can move faster.
> >>>>>>> Use jacoco to find areas of the codebase with poor testing.
> >>>>>>> Let's improve the test coverage there, LLMs are great for this.  We 
> >>>>>>> have a ton of static tests, these can become more dynamic, 
> >>>>>>> parameterized, and leverage harry.
> >>>>>>> Refactor parts of the codebase that have high cognitive complexlity 
> >>>>>>> and NPath scores.
> >>>>>>> This should be lowered over time to meet some high watermark, say 25 
> >>>>>>> maximum, although I'd prefer 15 which is where the Sonar folks 
> >>>>>>> settled.
> >>>>>>> Move forward moving the codebase to a more modular structure
> >>>>>>> We've talked about Gradle on and off - but it can really be a huge 
> >>>>>>> help with incremental, modular builds. This is pretty easy to do with 
> >>>>>>> an agent and we could have it done in a couple days.
> >>>>>>> Enforce boundaries with ArchUnit
> >>>>>>> If we want to enforce certain code boundaries, this is the way to do 
> >>>>>>> it. Should not be part of manual review.
> >>>>>>> Add LLM review for all incoming PRs before a human
> >>>>>>> The goal here is to automate the initial part of the review process 
> >>>>>>> that reviewers should spot, and raise the bar for the initial 
> >>>>>>> contribution.  When the code gets reviewed by a human, it should 
> >>>>>>> already have passed a large variety of initial checks.  This should 
> >>>>>>> shorten the review cycle and result in higher quality patches.  I've 
> >>>>>>> had Claude reviewing all my PRs in my personal projects for a while 
> >>>>>>> now and it consistently gives great feedback that I almost always 
> >>>>>>> incorporate.
> >>>>>>> In my ideal world, we'd also auto-format all code
> >>>>>>> Consistent formatting throughout the codebase would be amazing, but 
> >>>>>>> that's just one man's dream.
> >>>>>>> Hopefully there's at least a couple things in this list we could move 
> >>>>>>> forward with in the short term, as it'll help improve the code 
> >>>>>>> quality regardless of how it's created.
> >>>>>>> Jon
> >>>>>>> https://checkerframework.org/manual/#aliasing-leaking-contexts
> >>>>>>> https://www.sonarsource.com/docs/CognitiveComplexity.pdf
> >>>>>>> https://pmd.github.io/pmd/pmd_rules_java_design.html
> >>>>>>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 7:38 AM C. Scott Andreas 
> >>>>>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>>>>>>> From Benedict:
> >>>>>>>> “I don't know if everyone remembers, but ten years ago Cassandra was 
> >>>>>>>> full of serious correctness and stability issues. Despite developing 
> >>>>>>>> it, I would not have run it myself or recommend that anyone use it. 
> >>>>>>>> We have dug ourselves out of that hole, but it took years of 
> >>>>>>>> discipline and effort, and we're still (deservedly) recovering our 
> >>>>>>>> reputation.”
> >>>>>>>> Expanding on this point for those who may not have been active in 
> >>>>>>>> the project at this time —
> >>>>>>>> Apache Cassandra was fundamentally undeployable for four years 
> >>>>>>>> between Nov 2015 - 2019. The database literally lost data if you ran 
> >>>>>>>> a read-only SELECT query ordered descending (C-14513, C-14515). If 
> >>>>>>>> you haven’t read these tickets before, please take a moment to do so.
> >>>>>>>> It took years of careful work via property-based testing, fuzzing, 
> >>>>>>>> and deterministic simulation to restore Cassandra’s status as a 
> >>>>>>>> usable system of record. Once 14513 and 14515 were identified, 
> >>>>>>>> nearly 30 additional critical data loss and incorrect response bugs 
> >>>>>>>> were identified.
> >>>>>>>> It is essential for the project’s future that we don’t regress to 
> >>>>>>>> this state chasing AI-generated features motivated by fear. The fact 
> >>>>>>>> that examples cited in this thread which boast shiny features but 
> >>>>>>>> have critical shortcomings unknown to their author supports this 
> >>>>>>>> argument.
> >>>>>>>> The most common path for large corpuses of AI-generated software is 
> >>>>>>>> elation and reveling in a feature matrix, followed by abandonment.
> >>>>>>>> I endorse this point:
> >>>>>>>> “Let's use this new technology to improve the quality of our 
> >>>>>>>> contributions, not squander our hard-earned gains in the name of 
> >>>>>>>> speed. It will be hard to recover our reputation a second time.”
> >>>>>>>> Patrick, I don’t want your note regarding a TCM issue to go 
> >>>>>>>> unaddressed. Please file a Jira ticket and the patch if you like. I 
> >>>>>>>> can’t comment on the patch as I haven’t seen it, but together we 
> >>>>>>>> will solve the problem.
> >>>>>>>> – Scott
> >>>>>>>>> On Sep 24, 2026, at 4:01 AM, Benedict Elliott Smith 
> >>>>>>>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>>>>>>>> Hi Patrick,
> >>>>>>>>> As I mentioned in my reply to David, I would be happy to create a 
> >>>>>>>>> carve out for shallow and localised bug fixes in the "Permitted" 
> >>>>>>>>> section. Would this alleviate some of your concerns regarding your 
> >>>>>>>>> ability to contribute to the project?
> >>>>>>>>> I appreciate your pointing out Ferrosa's Accord implementation 
> >>>>>>>>> however, as it is a *great* example of the problems we're leaping 
> >>>>>>>>> into. I took a look, and within about 30s found that the protocol 
> >>>>>>>>> is fundamentally incorrect, having failed to address 
> >>>>>>>>> CASSANDRA-18365. This is despite claiming to be tested with Jepsen 
> >>>>>>>>> that should in principle find this fault. I followed up by using 
> >>>>>>>>> Claude to interrogate the implementation further, and immediately 
> >>>>>>>>> found other serious correctness issues.
> >>>>>>>>> I use LLMs daily now to help facilitate Accord development, and 
> >>>>>>>>> while they are powerful they are NOT able to author the code 
> >>>>>>>>> themselves, even when building upon a strong human-authored 
> >>>>>>>>> foundation.
> >>>>>>>>> I don't know if everyone remembers, but ten years ago Cassandra was 
> >>>>>>>>> full of serious correctness and stability issues. Despite 
> >>>>>>>>> developing it, I would not have run it myself or recommend that 
> >>>>>>>>> anyone use it. We have dug ourselves out of that hole, but it took 
> >>>>>>>>> years of discipline and effort, and we're still (deservedly) 
> >>>>>>>>> recovering our reputation.
> >>>>>>>>> Let's use this new technology to improve the quality of our 
> >>>>>>>>> contributions, not squander our hard-earned gains in the name of 
> >>>>>>>>> speed. It will be hard to recover our reputation a second time.
> >>>>>>>>>> On 2026/09/23 19:16:17 Patrick McFadin wrote:
> >>>>>>>>>> I was waiting for this moment to hit our project and I'm glad 
> >>>>>>>>>> we're here. I
> >>>>>>>>>> am deeply concerned for our project and its future, as we have 
> >>>>>>>>>> increasingly
> >>>>>>>>>> made it difficult to contribute. I had hoped that this new era of
> >>>>>>>>>> software tools powered by AI would expand the project's reach and 
> >>>>>>>>>> bring
> >>>>>>>>>> more diverse thoughts and ideas. This policy proposal is the exact 
> >>>>>>>>>> opposite
> >>>>>>>>>> of what we need. We have been sitting on a Cassandra 6 release 
> >>>>>>>>>> alpha for
> >>>>>>>>>> months. We need to accelerate and embrace new ways of being or be 
> >>>>>>>>>> left
> >>>>>>>>>> behind. As I read that policy, my first and gut level reactions:
> >>>>>>>>>> - It comes across as elitist and class protectionism. Committer 
> >>>>>>>>>> should not
> >>>>>>>>>> be special but this proposal makes that designation even more 
> >>>>>>>>>> sacred.
> >>>>>>>>>> - It signals that our project is so fragile that only a few people 
> >>>>>>>>>> "Really
> >>>>>>>>>> understand it" That's some SQLite vibes right there.
> >>>>>>>>>> - Trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist
> >>>>>>>>>> Sadly, i think this policy change would also exclude a lot of 
> >>>>>>>>>> comitters.
> >>>>>>>>>> We aren't alone in this moment. The Linux project just went through
> >>>>>>>>>> this. You can find the thread with a simple Google, but similar 
> >>>>>>>>>> hard
> >>>>>>>>>> feelings were being expressed "AI is going to ruin our project!", 
> >>>>>>>>>> "The
> >>>>>>>>>> unwashed masses are going to contribute terrible code!", "We have 
> >>>>>>>>>> to
> >>>>>>>>>> protect our precious status as Linux maintainers!"  Linus being 
> >>>>>>>>>> Linus, was
> >>>>>>>>>> deeply invloved and they adopted a super simple statement that 
> >>>>>>>>>> covers all
> >>>>>>>>>> bases. Human or Human using AI. “You are expected to understand 
> >>>>>>>>>> and to be
> >>>>>>>>>> able to defend everything you submit.”  Love that.
> >>>>>>>>>> In the larger picture, I'll restate. I'm worried for our project. 
> >>>>>>>>>> In late
> >>>>>>>>>> 2025(Opus 4.5 IYKYK), early 2026, AI coding LLMs turned a real 
> >>>>>>>>>> corner and
> >>>>>>>>>> in the hands of somebody that knows how to build software, this 
> >>>>>>>>>> tool is
> >>>>>>>>>> like jet fuel. Here's some examples of new projects being hyper 
> >>>>>>>>>> fueled by
> >>>>>>>>>> AI coding tools.
> >>>>>>>>>> Apache Iggy - Complete rust replacement of kafka. Crazy fast 
> >>>>>>>>>> velocity
> >>>>>>>>>> Turso - Rust re-write of SQLite
> >>>>>>>>>> Bun - Rust re-write of itself from Zig.
> >>>>>>>>>> Think this couldn't happen to us? Already has:
> >>>>>>>>>> https://github.com/ferrosadb/ferrosa. Ben is using it to power his 
> >>>>>>>>>> own
> >>>>>>>>>> startup, but it was him alone using a ton of local AI coding 
> >>>>>>>>>> agents. He
> >>>>>>>>>> even implemented Accord. Yeah...
> >>>>>>>>>> The cracks are already starting to show. There is a black market 
> >>>>>>>>>> economy of
> >>>>>>>>>> Cassandra patches happening now. Not going to name names or call 
> >>>>>>>>>> people
> >>>>>>>>>> out,  but there are fixes and optimizations living in branches 
> >>>>>>>>>> outside of
> >>>>>>>>>> the Cassandra project. Why? I'll use myself as an example. I fixed 
> >>>>>>>>>> a nasty
> >>>>>>>>>> bug I ran into with TCM a few weeks ago. Wrote the tests. It 
> >>>>>>>>>> passes CI and
> >>>>>>>>>> lives in my personal branch. I'm sitting here really wondering if 
> >>>>>>>>>> I want to
> >>>>>>>>>> go through the ritual humiliation of being roasted for using AI to 
> >>>>>>>>>> fix it.
> >>>>>>>>>> Me. I am worried about contrinuting code the Cassandra. What the 
> >>>>>>>>>> hell does
> >>>>>>>>>> that say?
> >>>>>>>>>> I have my CQLite project that I've been doing a release around 
> >>>>>>>>>> once a
> >>>>>>>>>> month. I would love to donate that to the Cassandra project but I 
> >>>>>>>>>> wouldn't
> >>>>>>>>>> if it essentially killed any progress.
> >>>>>>>>>> My larger counter proposal would be to:
> >>>>>>>>>> - Adopt the “You are expected to understand and to be able to 
> >>>>>>>>>> defend
> >>>>>>>>>> everything you submit.” approach the Linux project has adopted.
> >>>>>>>>>> - Loosen up the contributor process and our worry on trunk. Let 
> >>>>>>>>>> 1000
> >>>>>>>>>> flowers bloom and bring it in.
> >>>>>>>>>> - And finally, to give some people more peace of mind and open 
> >>>>>>>>>> more doors,
> >>>>>>>>>> adopt what other projects have done and provide more pluggability. 
> >>>>>>>>>> Let new
> >>>>>>>>>> ideas have an easy place to connect.
> >>>>>>>>>> We are at a fork in the road. What are we going to do? And then I 
> >>>>>>>>>> have to
> >>>>>>>>>> ask myself, what am I going to do as a contributor?
> >>>>>>>>>> Patrick
> >>>>>>>>>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 6:16 AM Blake Eggleston 
> >>>>>>>>>> <[email protected]>
> >>>>>>>>>> wrote:
> >>>>>>>>>>> I’m not necessarily opposed to having a policy, but so far we 
> >>>>>>>>>>> have some
> >>>>>>>>>>> specific proposals addressing a problem statement that’s very 
> >>>>>>>>>>> nebulous.
> >>>>>>>>>>> What is the community failing to do on its own that we’re trying 
> >>>>>>>>>>> to correct
> >>>>>>>>>>> with policy? What outcomes are we trying to create or prevent? 
> >>>>>>>>>>> Having some
> >>>>>>>>>>> examples and specific problems to discuss would help focus the 
> >>>>>>>>>>> conversation.
> >>>>>>>>>>>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2026, at 4:34 AM, Shailaja Koppu via dev wrote:
> >>>>>>>>>>> Benedict,
> >>>>>>>>>>> Thanks for clarifying. My concern still remains. This criteria 
> >>>>>>>>>>> would be
> >>>>>>>>>>> difficult to define and apply consistently. What counts as 
> >>>>>>>>>>> “similar” scope
> >>>>>>>>>>> or area, “mostly correct,” or sufficiently independent work? More
> >>>>>>>>>>> importantly, how do we prevent such vague criteria from creating 
> >>>>>>>>>>> an
> >>>>>>>>>>> informal hierarchy where some contributors work is routinely 
> >>>>>>>>>>> accepted while
> >>>>>>>>>>> others is routinely rejected?
> >>>>>>>>>>> If the intent is to limit AI-assisted code changes to Cassandra
> >>>>>>>>>>> contributors, or to contributors who have previously worked in 
> >>>>>>>>>>> that
> >>>>>>>>>>> component without AI, that would at least be clear and 
> >>>>>>>>>>> enforceable.
> >>>>>>>>>>>> On Sep 23, 2026, at 12:01 PM, Benedict Elliott Smith <
> >>>>>>>>>>> [email protected]> wrote:
> >>>>>>>>>>>> Core code changes
> >>>>>>>>>>>> Chris: Do you object to the first or second line you quote? 
> >>>>>>>>>>>> Because the
> >>>>>>>>>>> first line is effectively motivation for the second line, and can 
> >>>>>>>>>>> be
> >>>>>>>>>>> removed (or more clearly combined). If it’s the second line, then 
> >>>>>>>>>>> I do not
> >>>>>>>>>>> think this is an unreasonable expectation, and we can get into a 
> >>>>>>>>>>> proper
> >>>>>>>>>>> debate about it.
> >>>>>>>>>>>> Shailaja, since you only snipped the first sentence, your 
> >>>>>>>>>>>> concerns might
> >>>>>>>>>>> also be mostly answered by this clarification? “Minimal 
> >>>>>>>>>>> third-party
> >>>>>>>>>>> guidance” implies you have some concerns about the second line, 
> >>>>>>>>>>> but all of
> >>>>>>>>>>> our policies have some ambiguity because legalese is even worse. 
> >>>>>>>>>>> I don’t
> >>>>>>>>>>> think the ambiguity here would be challenging to navigate though 
> >>>>>>>>>>> we can
> >>>>>>>>>>> certainly refine it. This specific snippet is meant to convey an
> >>>>>>>>>>> expectation that a contributor has autonomously produced patches 
> >>>>>>>>>>> of similar
> >>>>>>>>>>> scope that were mostly correct, so that they have demonstrated 
> >>>>>>>>>>> the level of
> >>>>>>>>>>> understanding necessary to guide another party to a successful 
> >>>>>>>>>>> patch (i.e.
> >>>>>>>>>>> an LLM in this case).
> >>>>>>>>>>>> On 2026/09/23 10:54:16 Benedict Elliott Smith wrote:
> >>>>>>>>>>>>> Thanks everyone for your input so far. I’ll respond in brief to 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>> the
> >>>>>>>>>>> main themes, in (mostly) separate emails so they can each have 
> >>>>>>>>>>> their own
> >>>>>>>>>>> debate chain.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>> Should we have a policy (Blake/Josh*/Jon/Dinesh)
> >>>>>>>>>>>>> I think we would all agree that LLMs represent the biggest 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>> change to
> >>>>>>>>>>> this community (and software more generally) since its inception, 
> >>>>>>>>>>> and we
> >>>>>>>>>>> all now have enough experience with the technology to have formed 
> >>>>>>>>>>> opinions
> >>>>>>>>>>> about how it is best managed. We also evidently have not all 
> >>>>>>>>>>> arrived at the
> >>>>>>>>>>> same conclusions. In this situation, it would be an abdication of 
> >>>>>>>>>>> our
> >>>>>>>>>>> responsibilities as a management committee to not agree *some* 
> >>>>>>>>>>> policy.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>> I intend to conduct straw polls as the discussion evolves, so 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>> if you
> >>>>>>>>>>> prefer an alternative policy - or modifications to this policy - 
> >>>>>>>>>>> I would
> >>>>>>>>>>> encourage you to make those alternative proposals.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>> *Veto/Consensus (Josh)
> >>>>>>>>>>>>> It was fair to call out my poor use of language on this topic, 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>> so let
> >>>>>>>>>>> me rephrase a little. The community is built on consensus, and 
> >>>>>>>>>>> work should
> >>>>>>>>>>> not be merged when there are outstanding concerns to address. The 
> >>>>>>>>>>> explicit
> >>>>>>>>>>> -1 should only be used rarely, because the prior expectation 
> >>>>>>>>>>> should prevent
> >>>>>>>>>>> it ever being needed. I (and others) have outstanding concerns on 
> >>>>>>>>>>> LLM
> >>>>>>>>>>> generated work that can only be addressed through this process 
> >>>>>>>>>>> right here,
> >>>>>>>>>>> so to merge such work while maintaining the community’s consensus 
> >>>>>>>>>>> we must
> >>>>>>>>>>> agree some policy.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>> On 2026/09/23 09:58:27 Shailaja Koppu via dev wrote:
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>> I am strongly -1 on this
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Core code changes made by LLM may only be proposed by 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>> contributors
> >>>>>>>>>>> with demonstrated expertise
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>> That creates a new, subjective privileged class of 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>> contributors and
> >>>>>>>>>>> turns a tool choice into an eligibility test. Who decides whether 
> >>>>>>>>>>> expertise
> >>>>>>>>>>> has been “demonstrated,” what counts as “minimal third-party 
> >>>>>>>>>>> guidance,” and
> >>>>>>>>>>> how could those judgments be applied consistently or fairly?
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Apache already has a better model, anyone may contribute, 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>> trust and
> >>>>>>>>>>> additional repository privileges are earned transparently over 
> >>>>>>>>>>> time. The
> >>>>>>>>>>> ASF describes its communities as flat, and says that newcomer 
> >>>>>>>>>>> ideas have as
> >>>>>>>>>>> much input as those from original creators. We should not add a 
> >>>>>>>>>>> separate,
> >>>>>>>>>>> informal hierarchy in which certain people may use common 
> >>>>>>>>>>> development tools
> >>>>>>>>>>> while others may not.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On Sep 23, 2026, at 6:33 AM, Chris Lohfink 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> <[email protected]>
> >>>>>>>>>>> wrote:
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Core code changes made by LLM may only be proposed by 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> contributors
> >>>>>>>>>>> with demonstrated expertise
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Must have produced similar patches in size, scope and area
> >>>>>>>>>>> unassisted and with minimal third-party guidance
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I really don't like this one or its wording. Definitely too 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "the
> >>>>>>>>>>> peasants are getting uppity lets build a wall". Lets not let a 
> >>>>>>>>>>> subjective
> >>>>>>>>>>> thing like demonstrated expertise (who decides that?) be if it's 
> >>>>>>>>>>> ok or not.
> >>>>>>>>>>> Hold the same standards for code quality and process for it all. 
> >>>>>>>>>>> I don't
> >>>>>>>>>>> want this to be: only people on the storage team in Apple can use 
> >>>>>>>>>>> AI.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chris
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 12:16 AM <[email protected] 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> <mailto:
> >>>>>>>>>>> [email protected]>> wrote:
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I agree with Stefan and think this is both a reasonable and
> >>>>>>>>>>> thoughtful proposal.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Here are some things I like about it:
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> – It outlines areas where LLM usage is unambiguously useful 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> to the
> >>>>>>>>>>> project’s developers and users.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> – It defines a spectrum of recommendations and cautions.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> – The only prohibited areas are extremely narrow and say 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> nothing
> >>>>>>>>>>> about code at all.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Some in this thread are responding as if this proposal seeks 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> to
> >>>>>>>>>>> prohibit or sharply limit use of LLMs. In fact, it’s one of the 
> >>>>>>>>>>> most open
> >>>>>>>>>>> and welcoming I’ve seen for an OSS project of our size where many 
> >>>>>>>>>>> are
> >>>>>>>>>>> adopting policies that simply ban them entirely. I’ve re-appended 
> >>>>>>>>>>> the
> >>>>>>>>>>> proposal below my message as it seems to have been lost in 
> >>>>>>>>>>> threaded
> >>>>>>>>>>> replies, and would encourage folks to give it a second read.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Some brief thoughts based on my own use of LLMs:
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> – I find them fantastically useful for reviewing and 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> identifying
> >>>>>>>>>>> problems that have slipped through review - primarily via Alex 
> >>>>>>>>>>> Petrov’s
> >>>>>>>>>>> /deep-review skill, which I have running in a VM in a loop 
> >>>>>>>>>>> executing over
> >>>>>>>>>>> every new commit in the project as of a few days ago. I will be 
> >>>>>>>>>>> posting a
> >>>>>>>>>>> few hand-authored Jira tickets based on findings that appear 
> >>>>>>>>>>> legitimate to
> >>>>>>>>>>> me. For now, the loop is posting them as issue drafts for my own 
> >>>>>>>>>>> review on
> >>>>>>>>>>> my personal fork which you can find here:
> >>>>>>>>>>> https://github.com/cscotta/cassandra/issues?q=is%3Aissue%20state%3Aopen%20label%3Abug
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> – They’re great for enabling use of model checkers and formal
> >>>>>>>>>>> methods where such work would have previously been prohibitively 
> >>>>>>>>>>> expensive,
> >>>>>>>>>>> such as Blake’s work on a TLA+ proof of aspects of Mutation 
> >>>>>>>>>>> Tracking and
> >>>>>>>>>>> Benedict/Fedor’s work on a machine-checkable proof of the Accord 
> >>>>>>>>>>> protocol
> >>>>>>>>>>> in Lean.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> – They are stunning for allowing me to experiment with ideas 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> that
> >>>>>>>>>>> would have otherwise been a summer internship’s scope of work. 
> >>>>>>>>>>> Some
> >>>>>>>>>>> examples include an io_uring prototype, exploring the impact of
> >>>>>>>>>>> page-aligned compressed chunk sizes, an API shim bridging the 3.x 
> >>>>>>>>>>> and 4.x
> >>>>>>>>>>> Java Drivers, and potential enhancements to Zstandard.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> – And they shine when given grunt-work that is critical to 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the
> >>>>>>>>>>> project but a miserable labor for humans, such as triaging, 
> >>>>>>>>>>> reproducing,
> >>>>>>>>>>> and root-causing flaky tests, which David Capwell now has running 
> >>>>>>>>>>> in a loop
> >>>>>>>>>>> to help us improve CI stability in the project.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I never thought I’d be so positive on what’s possible via 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> language
> >>>>>>>>>>> models a year ago. At the same time, I also agree that they 
> >>>>>>>>>>> present
> >>>>>>>>>>> challenges and risks that can be managed through thoughtful 
> >>>>>>>>>>> discussion and
> >>>>>>>>>>> policy. Some of the concerns that I think are important to guard 
> >>>>>>>>>>> against
> >>>>>>>>>>> include:
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> – Asymmetry of effort between author and reviewers: As
> >>>>>>>>>>> token-generating machines, LLMs can generate diffs of 
> >>>>>>>>>>> extraordinary size
> >>>>>>>>>>> very rapidly. /deep-review is great for chewing through diffs and
> >>>>>>>>>>> identifying defects. But it should be used by the contributor 
> >>>>>>>>>>> themselves to
> >>>>>>>>>>> identify issues – not to replace the role of the reviewer with 
> >>>>>>>>>>> more
> >>>>>>>>>>> electricity. The role of the reviewers extends beyond identifying 
> >>>>>>>>>>> and
> >>>>>>>>>>> highlighting defects. It encompasses architecture, harmony with 
> >>>>>>>>>>> the
> >>>>>>>>>>> existing codebase, thinking ahead to future evolution of the 
> >>>>>>>>>>> project, and
> >>>>>>>>>>> replicates context on the project as new code is committed. These 
> >>>>>>>>>>> functions
> >>>>>>>>>>> cannot be automated away.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> – Hesitancy of authors to engage manually with code they have
> >>>>>>>>>>> generated: This is not specific to Cassandra, but it is a 
> >>>>>>>>>>> behavior that I
> >>>>>>>>>>> have seen in several “highly-electric” projects. There’s a 
> >>>>>>>>>>> bimodal tendency
> >>>>>>>>>>> toward code that is entirely generated or entirely human-authored 
> >>>>>>>>>>> - but it
> >>>>>>>>>>> is rare for someone to prepare an AI-authored patch to take an 
> >>>>>>>>>>> offramp and
> >>>>>>>>>>> spend a significant amount of time refining the work by hand in 
> >>>>>>>>>>> an IDE.
> >>>>>>>>>>> This hesitancy toward human participation in authorship of 
> >>>>>>>>>>> LLM-generated
> >>>>>>>>>>> code is very concerning to me.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> – Harmony with the existing codebase: Due to the 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> tunnel-vision of
> >>>>>>>>>>> context windows, LLMs are generally unaware of conventions and 
> >>>>>>>>>>> norms
> >>>>>>>>>>> present in codebases and very frequently reinvent concepts in a 
> >>>>>>>>>>> generation
> >>>>>>>>>>> turn to suit a goal without view of the project’s overall 
> >>>>>>>>>>> architecture.
> >>>>>>>>>>> This results in a profusion of messy and duplicated concepts that 
> >>>>>>>>>>> gradually
> >>>>>>>>>>> sprawl about a codebase.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Again, none of these are grounds for prohibition of usage of
> >>>>>>>>>>> language models in developing the project. They’re just problems 
> >>>>>>>>>>> we need to
> >>>>>>>>>>> bear in mind and guard against – and I think the proposal is 
> >>>>>>>>>>> designed to do
> >>>>>>>>>>> just that.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I’m thrilled by the potential of LLMs to improve Apache 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cassandra
> >>>>>>>>>>> and we already see it happening through a vast number of issues 
> >>>>>>>>>>> that are
> >>>>>>>>>>> being reported and fixed. But there’s also danger in taking ATVs 
> >>>>>>>>>>> down a
> >>>>>>>>>>> hiking trail full of people.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Regarding the prohibition on prose, I’ll simply say: I 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> recently
> >>>>>>>>>>> found myself in a scenario where I found a Claude-authored 
> >>>>>>>>>>> document so
> >>>>>>>>>>> inscrutable that I piped it back into a model, directed it to 
> >>>>>>>>>>> rewrite it in
> >>>>>>>>>>> ASD-STE100, read it myself, and responded based on the 
> >>>>>>>>>>> summarization. As a
> >>>>>>>>>>> humanities grad, this is probably the worst language crime I have
> >>>>>>>>>>> committed. But it was in response to language that was itself so
> >>>>>>>>>>> idiosyncratic that it was unreadable to me in its original form. 
> >>>>>>>>>>> I hope
> >>>>>>>>>>> this never happens in the Apache Cassandra project.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I’ll close with a quote from an excellent article written by 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Colin
> >>>>>>>>>>> Breck, an engineer who works on large-scale data systems:
> >>>>>>>>>>> https://blog.colinbreck.com/i-dont-want-to-read-what-you-didnt-write/
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Colin wrote:
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I don’t want to live in a world where you use AI to 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> summarize
> >>>>>>>>>>> something important into unreadable text, and then I use AI in an 
> >>>>>>>>>>> attempt
> >>>>>>>>>>> to decipher it. I want to hear you, imperfections and all. I want 
> >>>>>>>>>>> your
> >>>>>>>>>>> interpretation of aesthetics, beauty, quality, relationship, 
> >>>>>>>>>>> time. I want
> >>>>>>>>>>> to know how you feel. I want you to cut through and tell me what 
> >>>>>>>>>>> really
> >>>>>>>>>>> matters.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Intentional writing will likely become more valuable. 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> People who
> >>>>>>>>>>> write, and write to think, to think deeply and carefully, or to 
> >>>>>>>>>>> create, to
> >>>>>>>>>>> share, or to capture something important without explicitly 
> >>>>>>>>>>> expressing it
> >>>>>>>>>>> will continue to write and produce original work. The people who 
> >>>>>>>>>>> never were
> >>>>>>>>>>> writers will use AI to produce lots of text.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I hope that our culture can remain one of intentional 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> writing and
> >>>>>>>>>>> intentional engineering. I enjoy reading the voice of the author 
> >>>>>>>>>>> in
> >>>>>>>>>>> comments, code, and tickets in Cassandra – the different ways we 
> >>>>>>>>>>> use
> >>>>>>>>>>> language based on where we grew up and how we learned English, the
> >>>>>>>>>>> translated idioms from our various backgrounds, and terse 
> >>>>>>>>>>> comments that
> >>>>>>>>>>> recognize the difference between code whose function is obvious 
> >>>>>>>>>>> and what
> >>>>>>>>>>> warrants genuine exposition. When I read code in Cassandra, it’s 
> >>>>>>>>>>> a delight
> >>>>>>>>>>> to recognize the author based on their writing style before 
> >>>>>>>>>>> flipping on
> >>>>>>>>>>> `git annotate` to reveal the origin.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I’d encourage folks to re-read the original proposal below. 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> It is
> >>>>>>>>>>> very permissive. The guidance strikes me not just as reasonable, 
> >>>>>>>>>>> but
> >>>>>>>>>>> genuinely important to maintaining the health of the project.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> – Scott
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> =====
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Encouraged:
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Reviewing and otherwise validating human-authored patches 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> before
> >>>>>>>>>>> submission
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Debugging, diagnosing etc
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Permitted:
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Generating or modifying tests, scripts, tooling or any 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> other
> >>>>>>>>>>> non-user facing changes
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Minor changes to human-authored patches that are carefully
> >>>>>>>>>>> reviewed by the author
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Restricted:
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Core code changes made by LLM may only be proposed by 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> contributors
> >>>>>>>>>>> with demonstrated expertise
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Must have produced similar patches in size, scope and area
> >>>>>>>>>>> unassisted and with minimal third-party guidance
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Core code changes made by LLM require an additional 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> reviewer
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - LLM review is not a substitute for human review, and must 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> be used
> >>>>>>>>>>> only to augment a complete and independent human understanding of 
> >>>>>>>>>>> the patch.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Prohibited:
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - All public prose must be human authored. This includes 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> inline
> >>>>>>>>>>> comments, docs, posts to Jira etc.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> All LLM generated changes MUST be disclosed:
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Outlined to any reviewer;
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Summarised in the commit message;
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Large blocks or files must be individually marked with 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> some agreed
> >>>>>>>>>>> message like "created by <some AI>"
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> =====
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On Sep 22, 2026, at 9:13 PM, Dinesh Joshi <[email protected]
> >>>>>>>>>>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On Tue, Sep 22, 2026 at 3:28 AM Benedict 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> <[email protected]
> >>>>>>>>>>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Restricted:
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Core code changes made by LLM may only be proposed by
> >>>>>>>>>>> contributors with demonstrated expertise
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Must have produced similar patches in size, scope and 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> area
> >>>>>>>>>>> unassisted and with minimal third-party guidance
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I am -1 on this. This sounds like gate keeping attempt. It 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> narrowly
> >>>>>>>>>>> limits the pool to a few people on the project that have 
> >>>>>>>>>>> historically
> >>>>>>>>>>> contributed to certain parts of the codebase. This policy will 
> >>>>>>>>>>> prohibit
> >>>>>>>>>>> skilled software engineers with domain expertise from proposing 
> >>>>>>>>>>> LLM
> >>>>>>>>>>> assisted changes simply because they have not contributed to the 
> >>>>>>>>>>> project.
> >>>>>>>>>>> This is unrealistic and a net negative for the project to attract 
> >>>>>>>>>>> talent
> >>>>>>>>>>> and grow our community.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Core code changes made by LLM require an additional 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> reviewer
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Can you be more precise what is this in addition to? How 
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> many total
> >>>>>>>>>>> reviewers do you expect and what is the purpose of additional 
> >>>>>>>>>>> reviewer? and
> >>>>>>>>>>> why?
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Taking a step back - what are you trying to solve here?
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dinesh
> 
> 

Reply via email to