I would also support a version of the Rust policy tweaked as Caleb proposes.

Thanks,
Sam

> On 28 Sep 2026, at 19:45, Aleksey Yeshchenko via dev 
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Some last minute amends to the suggested policy's TL;DR, with Caleb's 
> approval:
> 
> - It’s fine to use LLMs to answer questions, analyze, distill, refine, check, 
> suggest, review.
> - LLMs work best when used as a tool to write better, not faster.
> 
> "But not to create." bit is covered in detail by the full policy and is 
> impossible to summarise well in two words.
> 
> With other changes as outlined by Caleb in the quoted email, I would be happy 
> to support this fine-tuned version of Rust's policy.
> 
> --
> AY
> 
>> On 28 Sep 2026, at 19:27, Caleb Rackliffe <[email protected] 
>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>> 
>> To clarify, I would remove the "Experimental" tag and make that section 
>> apply to all contributors. (In other words, encourage attribution, quality, 
>> and human decision-making for all of us.)
>> 
>> The spirit of this is really a one line change to the Rust policy:
>> 
>> > It’s fine to use LLMs to answer questions, analyze, distill, refine, 
>> > check, suggest, review. But not to create.
>> 
>> ...becomes...
>> 
>> It’s fine to use LLMs to answer questions, analyze, distill, refine, check, 
>> suggest, review. But not to decide.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 12:54 PM Caleb Rackliffe <[email protected] 
>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>> I finally read the Rust and Lucene policy docs in more detail...
>>> 
>>> https://flagged.apple.com:443/proxy?t2=Dx1j3o8bN8&o=aHR0cHM6Ly9mb3JnZS5ydXN0LWxhbmcub3JnL3BvbGljaWVzL2xsbS11c2FnZS5odG1s&emid=10aadc4f-b52a-4662-9281-ce00061a230c&c=11
>>>  
>>> <https://flagged.apple.com/proxy?t2=Dx1j3o8bN8&o=aHR0cHM6Ly9mb3JnZS5ydXN0LWxhbmcub3JnL3BvbGljaWVzL2xsbS11c2FnZS5odG1s&emid=10aadc4f-b52a-4662-9281-ce00061a230c&c=11>
>>> https://github.com/apache/lucene/blob/main/AI_POLICY.md
>>> 
>>> I think I agree with a lot of what's written in both, and they overlap 
>>> quite a lot, especially around communication (docs, issue comments, etc.) 
>>> that should be primarily human-to-human. Everything useful in the Lucene 
>>> policy is already included in the Rust policy though. If we could take the 
>>> Rust policy, generalize away the Rust-specific things, simplify it, and 
>>> remove the "Experimental" tag (and probably the "non-critical" qualifier) 
>>> on the "LLM-created code changes intended of review" section, I think 
>>> that's something a large majority of us would be able to live with.
>>> 
>>> If we can get this right, it's simply clarifying the set of things 
>>> contributors (including existing committers) can do to have the best chance 
>>> at getting engagement from reviewers.
>>> 
>>> I don't know how much appetite there is out there for a formal draft of 
>>> this, and we already have 3-4 proposals, but I could attempt it if that 
>>> would be useful...
>>> 
>>> 
>>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 10:50 AM Štefan Miklošovič <[email protected] 
>>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>> A clarification from my side, I asked "what is wrong with this" in my
>>>> latest email:
>>>> 
>>>> "For these reasons, it should be expected that the person producing
>>>> the patch has already demonstrated their expertise and commitment by
>>>> producing and maintaining similar patches without the use of AI"
>>>> 
>>>> It is "almost fine", the part of "similar patches without the use of
>>>> AI" should not be there. It should stop before that.
>>>> 
>>>> Otherwise this is going to exclude people who have a decade of
>>>> experience with Cassandra and contributed countless patches of various
>>>> size and complexity while according to that exact wording, they would
>>>> not be eligible to contribute an AI patch. That is silly. I think this
>>>> is wrong. It does not matter how it was produced. What is important is
>>>> established trust and if a patch is correct. What does even the size
>>>> of a patch have in common with that? Expertise and commitment! Not
>>>> "the series of patches this committer ever produced was not complex
>>>> enough so we can't take that code in".
>>>> 
>>>> Also, who is exactly going to measure that anyway? What are the
>>>> _objective_ criteria who qualifies? Somebody might come and say "while
>>>> based on my criteria, (because I do not like this person), I do not
>>>> think that the patches of this person qualify, because ...". We need
>>>> hard data on whether it can be merged or not, performance improvement,
>>>> stability ...
>>>> 
>>>> I think this particular wording would need to be refined further.
>>>> 
>>>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 4:34 PM Štefan Miklošovič
>>>> <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>> >
>>>> > Right ... for that reason I don't think we should restrict anybody to
>>>> > create a PR or anything like that, putting some artificial constraints
>>>> > people will eventually bypass anyway. We don't have that under
>>>> > control. What we have under control is the review part of that. A
>>>> > patch not merged will not be released. The review itself is the
>>>> > "gate".
>>>> >
>>>> > If a PR, even done by AI, is up to standards, has everything it should
>>>> > have and it is technically correct, then I can not reject to merge
>>>> > that only on the basis it was AI-generated. A patch like a patch. The
>>>> > code speaks. The ultimate gate is if a patch is correct or not, not
>>>> > how it was produced.
>>>> >
>>>> > Do I gravitate with my trust more towards established members of the
>>>> > community? Definitely. The trust is earned over the years. Implicitly,
>>>> > I am trusting a newcomer less. Sorry but not sorry. If somebody calls
>>>> > this "gating", I don't think they see the nuances enough. Yeah, call
>>>> > it a gate if you want ...
>>>> >
>>>> > That is why I agree with Benedict here, he said:
>>>> >
>>>> > "For these reasons, it should be expected that the person producing
>>>> > the patch has already demonstrated their expertise and commitment by
>>>> > producing and maintaining similar patches without the use of AI".
>>>> >
>>>> > What is wrong about this?
>>>> >
>>>> > Look at this contributor (1). This is an excellent example. 10 patches
>>>> > in fast cadence three weeks ago. We never heard about this person
>>>> > before nor after the patches were created. What about hitting a ML
>>>> > saying "hey, guys, I have a set of patches which scratch my itches,
>>>> > can you take a look, please?". I don't know ... just be a bit ...
>>>> > human about all of this? The maintainers are people too. I am not
>>>> > obliged to take in and cooperate with whoever comes by, dumps their
>>>> > stuff and then they ... wait. Well, so wait. See where you got three
>>>> > weeks after? Nowhere.
>>>> >
>>>> > Caleb put it nicely, we are "only" humans.
>>>> >
>>>> > (1) 
>>>> > https://github.com/apache/cassandra/pulls?q=is%3Apr+state%3Aopen+author%3Acheeeee
>>>> >
>>>> > On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 2:51 PM Shailaja Koppu via dev
>>>> > <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>> > >
>>>> > > Hi Stefan,
>>>> > >
>>>> > > From personal side, I completely agree with you. I am giving potential 
>>>> > > options only to address concerns like - new contributors overwhelming 
>>>> > > the community with AI generated PRs just to show as add-on in their 
>>>> > > profile and vanish after that, or purely AI opened PRs without 
>>>> > > developer review or understanding. But the later can happen with 
>>>> > > anyone including committers due to workload/deadlines or misled by AI 
>>>> > > etc. Also, someone can copy a AI generated patch line by line skipping 
>>>> > > comments, which looks like a handwritten code.
>>>> > >
>>>> > >
>>>> > > Thanks,
>>>> > > Shailaja
>>>> > >
>>>> > >
>>>> > >
>>>> > > > On Sep 28, 2026, at 12:23 PM, Štefan Miklošovič 
>>>> > > > <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>> > > >
>>>> > > >> - Only Cassandra committers may submit AI-assisted PRs. This would 
>>>> > > >> mean new contributors first write and understand code without AI 
>>>> > > >> before becoming committers; or
>>>> > > >> - Contributors may submit AI-assisted changes in a 
>>>> > > >> component/subcomponent only after they have submitted at least one 
>>>> > > >> non-AI PR in that component/subcomponent.
>>>> > > >
>>>> > > > I am not sure if I am missing something but can you all explain in
>>>> > > > simple terms how is this actually enforceable in practice?
>>>> > > >
>>>> > > > "Only Cassandra committers may submit AI-assisted PRs" - there is no
>>>> > > > restriction who can create a PR and how. It is not like we see that a
>>>> > > > PR is created with heavy AI usage, then we check if a contributor is 
>>>> > > > a
>>>> > > > committer and when they are not we comment on that PR saying - "hold
>>>> > > > your horses mate, we checked the list and you are not a committer,
>>>> > > > sorry, we have to close this".
>>>> > > >
>>>> > > > If a PR is crafted "carefuly" then it might look like a completely
>>>> > > > legitimate piece of work while it is still 100% prompted and the
>>>> > > > author does not have a clue what they did. I mean ... how do you make
>>>> > > > the difference between what is "real" and what is AI-driven 100%? I
>>>> > > > think that even if we "guessed" which one is which, the possibility 
>>>> > > > to
>>>> > > > see this is being progressively erased as this tech is evolving and 
>>>> > > > we
>>>> > > > will eventually not have a clue.
>>>> > >

Reply via email to