Michael wrote:
> On Wednesday 4 September 2024 23:07:17 BST Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2024-09-04, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> At one point, I looked for a set of four sticks of the memory.  I
>>> couldn't find any.  They only come in sets of two.  I read somewhere
>>> that the mobo expects each pair to be matched.
>> Yep, that's definitely how it was supposed to work. I fully expected
>> my two (identically spec'ed) sets of two work. All the documentation I
>> could find said it should. It just didn't. :/
>>
>> --
>> Grant
> Often you have to dial down latency and/or increase voltage when you add more
> RAM modules.  It is a disappointment when faster memory has to be slowed down
> because those extra two sticks you bought on ebay at a good price, are of a
> slightly lower spec.
>
> Some MoBos are more tolerant than others.  I have had systems which failed to
> work when the additional RAM modules were not part of a matching kit.  I've
> had others which would work no matter what you threw at them.  High
> performance MoBos which have highly strung specs, tend to require lowering
> frequency/increasing latency when you add more RAM.
>
> Regarding Dale's question, which has already been answered - yes, anything
> the
> bad memory has touched is suspect of corruption.  Without ECC RAM a dodgy
> module can cause a lot of damage before it is discovered.  This is why I
> *always* run memtest86+ overnight whenever I get a new system, or add new
> RAM.
> I've only had one fail over the years, but I'd better be safe than sorry.  ;-)

When I built this rig, I first booted the Gentoo Live boot image and
just played around a bit.  Mostly to let the CPU grease settle in a
bit.  Then I ran memtest through a whole test until it said it passed.
Only then did I start working on the install.  The rig has ran without
issue until I noticed gkrellm temps were stuck.  They wasn't updating as
temps change.  So, I closed gkrellm but then it wouldn't open again.
Ran it in a console and saw the error about missing module or
something.  Then I tried to figure out that problem which lead to seg
fault errors.  Well, that lead to the thread and the discovery of a bad
memory stick.  I check gkrellm often so it was most likely less than a
day.  Could have been only hours.  Knowing I check gkrellm often, it was
likely only a matter of a couple hours or so.  The only reason it might
have went longer, the CPU was mostly idle.  I watch more often when the
CPU is busy, updates etc.

I just hope I can put in all four sticks and it work once the bad set is
replaced.  I miss having 64GBs of memory already.

Oh, QB is redoing a lot of files.  It seems it picked up on some . . .
issues.  :/

Dale

:-)  :-)