Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2024-09-04, Frank Steinmetzger <war...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Am Wed, Sep 04, 2024 at 07:09:43PM -0000 schrieb Grant Edwards:
>>> […]
>>> I plugged them in alongside the recently purchased pair. Wouldn't
>>> work. Either pair of SIMMs worked fine by themselves, but the only way
>>> I could get both pairs to work together was to drop the clock speed
>>> down to about a third the speed they were supposed to support.
>> Indeed that was my first thought when Dale mentioned getting another
>> pair. I don’t know if it’s true for all Ryzen chips, but if you use
>> four sticks, they may not work at the maximum speed advertised by
>> AMD (not counting in overlcocking). If you kept the settings to Auto
>> you shouldn’t get problems, but RAM may work slower then.
> Yea, I thought auto should work, but it didn't. I had to manually
> lower the RAM clock speed to get all four to work at the same
> time. The BIOS screens were a bit mind-boggling (very high on
> graphics, dazzle, and flash -- very low on usability). So it's
> possible I didn't really have auto mode correctly enabled.
>
>> OTOH, since you don’t do hard-core gaming or scientific
>> number-crunching, it is unlikely you will notice a difference in
>> your every-day computing.
> In my case I compared an "emerge" that took several minutes, and it
> took significantly longer with the lower RAM clock speed. I decided I
> was better off with fewer GB of faster RAM.

At one point, I looked for a set of four sticks of the memory.  I
couldn't find any.  They only come in sets of two.  I read somewhere
that the mobo expects each pair to be matched.  Thing is, things
change.  My mobo may work different or something or they figured out
some better coding.  The downside, my mobo is a somewhat older tech.

Given the number of components on each stick, it's pretty amazing they
work at all.  I recall our conversation about the number of transistors
on a CPU.  I suspect memory is right up there with it.  32GBs on a stick
is a lot.  I think they have larger sticks too.  That means even more.
Also, mine puts on a fancy light show.  It has LEDs that change colors.
Annoying at times.  Needs a off switch.  LOL

My emerge -e world is still chugging along.  Not a single failure yet.
I started Qbittorrent and it complained about files.  I did run fsck on
the file system tho and it did fix a few things, like it always does.
It always finds something to improve on.  I told QB to force a recheck,
within minutes, it was off to the races again.  It appears to be fixing
any bad files.  Sort of neat that it can do that.

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  With my TV not connected, my monitor situation went weird.  I
guess when I get the new rig back to normal, it will work like it did
before.