> What if we break out the discussion on attribution in another thread? It 
> seems like one of the only things most of us agree should happen in some 
> capacity. Vote on that and then leave all the more amorphous stuff in this 
> thread...

Please don't. We can talk about attribution if and when we agree on the crux of 
it first.

>>> As someone who is relatively far on the AI adoption journey
>>> not everyone is at the same stage of AI adoption

AI adoption is not a straight line. There is more than one way to hold an 
agent. I use Pi+Opus *extensively*, just not to generate *production* code. 
This is the case for Benedict as well.

What I'm advocating for is a way of holding it appropriately - in context of 
development of a distributed DBMS like ours, but specifically ours - as someone 
with both plenty of AI use experience, and more C* experience than most folks 
arguing in the opposite direction here.

--
AY

> On 30 Sep 2026, at 19:38, Caleb Rackliffe <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> What if we break out the discussion on attribution in another thread? It 
> seems like one of the only things most of us agree should happen in some 
> capacity. Vote on that and then leave all the more amorphous stuff in this 
> thread...
> 
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 1:29 PM Jon Haddad <[email protected] 
> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>> I didn't say it's too hard, not sure where you got that.  It's just mildly 
>> annoying that we'd have a list of models used on every commit.  I don't see 
>> the value. 
>> 
>> On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 11:21 AM Jordan West <[email protected] 
>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>> I’m not gonna die on the attribution hill past “some kind of attribution / 
>>> acknowledgement of LLM use is important” but I think it’s a bit farfetched 
>>> to say “we have this tool that can write all these amazing tests and code 
>>> but tracking what models are used and writing them down is too hard”. 
>>> Skills that can automate development and review can be easily extended to 
>>> track models being used. But again, it seems like there is enough concern 
>>> for specific attribution that a more general attribution like originally 
>>> proposed would be better. I don’t personally agree with the concerns about 
>>> specific attribution raised so far but see many possible compromises. I 
>>> would encourage us to debate specific language on a proposal (which again 
>>> I’m happy to create). 
>>> 
>>> On testing, a few of you are implying / saying that given LLMs we can raise 
>>> the testing bar higher than it is today. I actually agree with that. But it 
>>> implies almost a need to use LLMs which would in turn make it harder for 
>>> contributors who aren’t at your level of adoption of AI. As someone who is 
>>> relatively far on the AI adoption journey I don’t personally see this as a 
>>> bad thing but it doesn’t feel like our community is ready for that and many 
>>> of the same folks proposing testing can be done better with LLMs are the 
>>> same group advocating to not make the bar higher for contributors or have 
>>> special classes of contributors. Again personally, I like raising the 
>>> testing bar higher but I would encourage us to drive consensus on that 
>>> separately so we can reach some form of consensus here. IMO consensus here 
>>> will require accepting not everyone is at the same stage of AI adoption and 
>>> viewpoints as others might be. If we are trying to get everyone to see AI 
>>> the same and then make a policy i think we will have a hard time. 
>>> 
>>> Jordan 
>>> 
>>> On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 10:43 Jon Haddad <[email protected] 
>>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>> I think the main reason is that it's far less effort to create a 
>>>> comprehensive system for testing with an LLM than it is by hand.  For 
>>>> example, with cursor compaction, we have parameterized, differential, 
>>>> fuzzed tests. I was able to go through several iterations and different 
>>>> ideas quite cheaply, in order to arrive where it is now.  Being able to 
>>>> experiment with multiple paths forward is a huge general advantage, and on 
>>>> the side of testing it makes it a no brainer. 
>>>> 
>>>> LLMs also don't complain when they need to make big revisions, or plumb 
>>>> things through that would otherwise be an annoyance.  They don't mind the 
>>>> grunt work, and are damn good at it.  Add a reviewer that runs PMD and 
>>>> Jacoco and tells you where the code is either too complex or untested AND 
>>>> can quickly refactor it, or put together a few hundred lines of test code 
>>>> is remarkable. 
>>>> 
>>>> Jon
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 1:56 PM Dinesh Joshi <[email protected] 
>>>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>>> Jordan, thanks for the guiding principles. I think this is a short-enough 
>>>>> prose that I expect contributors to realistic read, digest and apply.
>>>>> 
>>>>> One clarification though - why is the bar for LLM generated code higher 
>>>>> than human generated code? Why isn't the bar the same for both? Why does 
>>>>> it have to be a function of the thing that generated the code? 
>>>>> 
>>>>> Realistically, most developers are using LLM assistance is writing tests. 
>>>>> Like Caleb said, the cost of writing tests has fallen to zero. If 
>>>>> anything, I would say that the bar for tests should be higher regardless 
>>>>> of who generated the code.
>>>>> 
>>>>> An unintended side effect of having a higher test bar for LLM generated 
>>>>> code is that it may incentivize contributors to hide / underplay the use 
>>>>> of LLMs.
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 1:04 PM Jordan West <[email protected] 
>>>>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>>>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 12:54 Caleb Rackliffe <[email protected] 
>>>>>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>>>>> @Jordan I agree with essentially everything you’ve said here. The only 
>>>>>>> exception is that I wouldn’t want to lower the testing bar (assuming we 
>>>>>>> agree on what that means) for non-LLM-authored patches. The cost of 
>>>>>>> writing tests has esssntially fallen to zero.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> We’re absolutely aligned on that. If I implied otherwise that was an 
>>>>>> error on my part. My only intent is the bar should be even higher
>>>>>> for LLM generated code than whatever the bar is for human generated code 
>>>>>> not that we lower the human generated bar we have or agree to in the 
>>>>>> future. Maybe we have to wordsmith that some to be more clear? 
>>>>>>  
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> On Sep 29, 2026, at 2:30 PM, Jordan West <[email protected] 
>>>>>>>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> While I too want to lower the bar for contributors to join us, I am 
>>>>>>>> happy to see something like the proposed policy and I don’t think 
>>>>>>>> reading a short document is too much to ask when contributing to our 
>>>>>>>> large and critical code base. We’ve had and have much larger barriers 
>>>>>>>> to entry than that. One reason I’m excited about AI use in the project 
>>>>>>>> is I think it can help us lower more of those. 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> While I agree with the spirit of the proposed policy and some of 
>>>>>>>> what’s in it I think as written it will have us back here often to 
>>>>>>>> re-discuss this topic for a couple reasons. First, “strongly 
>>>>>>>> discouraged” will have different meanings to different community 
>>>>>>>> members and as the policy acknowledges it’s unenforceable so this will 
>>>>>>>> lead to debates based on the ambiguities in the text. Second, all of 
>>>>>>>> us are on various points on a spectrum on where we see AIs abilities 
>>>>>>>> today and where we see them going. The policy is written to be a sort 
>>>>>>>> of blend of our current opinions on where it is today so it seems 
>>>>>>>> likely we are back here today as our opinions shift (I know my beliefs 
>>>>>>>> change daily to weekly these days in both directions), capabilities 
>>>>>>>> change, and new consensus is needed. 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> I propose we do have a document but one more I like of the “motivating 
>>>>>>>> and guiding principles section” and that we rely on our other existing 
>>>>>>>> policies and assumption of positive intent of contributors. I have 
>>>>>>>> proposed some below. I am sure several here will find these too 
>>>>>>>> lenient given what I presume to be where they fall on the AI adoption 
>>>>>>>> spectrum compared to me and I respect that. Some days I am likely 
>>>>>>>> right there with you, others I’m more bullish. You’ll find my proposal 
>>>>>>>> below does not encourage trying to delineate parts of the codebase 
>>>>>>>> that can and cannot be contributed to with an LLM but holds standards 
>>>>>>>> regardless. I encourage us to find ways to set the bar for quality 
>>>>>>>> when LLMs are used now and in the future vs trying to limit them based 
>>>>>>>> on today’s opinions and capabilities that are rapidly changing. 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Some proposed ideas for some guiding principles with that in mind. 
>>>>>>>> It’s likely not a complete list. 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> * LLMs do not change accountability. You are ultimately accountable 
>>>>>>>> for code produced or reviewed in your name. Whether hand written or by 
>>>>>>>> an LLM. If you own an agentic process performing coding or review 
>>>>>>>> tasks you are still responsible and accountable for what it produces 
>>>>>>>> or what actions it takes. We as a community are accountable for 
>>>>>>>> understanding and being knowledgeable about the software we provide to 
>>>>>>>> others. LLMs do not change this. 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> * Humans must be involved in the merging of code either by producing 
>>>>>>>> or reviewing code and is subject to the accountability requirement 
>>>>>>>> above. Nothing about using LLMs changes existing policies regarding 
>>>>>>>> committers required to merge code, vetoes, or other voting procedures. 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> * All LLM use must be attributed to both you and the harness, 
>>>>>>>> provider, and model being used. The project makes no specific 
>>>>>>>> recommendations or requirements regarding the toolchain used as long 
>>>>>>>> as the user has legal access and provides attribution. 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> * LLM generated code has a higher standard of automated testing than 
>>>>>>>> human code, for which we have already adopted an incredibly high 
>>>>>>>> standard. Proposed fixes or performance improvements must include 
>>>>>>>> runnable demonstrations. Use of LLMs does not absolve the accountable 
>>>>>>>> contributor of existing requirements such as providing a test plan in 
>>>>>>>> JIRA. LLM generated code must be automatically linted to meet the 
>>>>>>>> projects code standards. LLM generated code is not an excuse to ignore 
>>>>>>>> the projects existing policies on code style. 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> * It is strongly preferred that documentation and comments are not LLM 
>>>>>>>> generated. We have found these to be of low quality. However, if done, 
>>>>>>>> the aforementioned accountability remains with the contributor. “The 
>>>>>>>> LLM wrote it” is not an acceptable dismissal of a review comment in 
>>>>>>>> any context. It is recommended that documentation and comments 
>>>>>>>> continue to be human written and optional LLM reviewed or edited with 
>>>>>>>> human supervision. 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 08:57 Caleb Rackliffe 
>>>>>>>> <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>> @Josh I tried to define “directly generated” at the bottom, although 
>>>>>>>>> there isn’t a proper footnote/link. I don’t think it matters at this 
>>>>>>>>> point. There doesn’t appear to be any appetite for something in the 
>>>>>>>>> middle, i.e. what I was attempting to do there.
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> On Sep 29, 2026, at 10:00 AM, Josh McKenzie <[email protected] 
>>>>>>>>>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Some questions that are still unclear to me after reading through 
>>>>>>>>>> this thread and the PR - and I assume a new contributor would be 
>>>>>>>>>> confused as well:
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Re: what qualifies as "Directly Generated" by an LLM:
>>>>>>>>>> If someone generates a full implementation and testing for something 
>>>>>>>>>> via an LLM then goes through line by line and cleans things up and 
>>>>>>>>>> makes changes, does that qualify as Directly Generated or not?
>>>>>>>>>> If they have fine-tuned a local model to comments in their own 
>>>>>>>>>> verbal style, is that strongly discouraged because an LLM generated 
>>>>>>>>>> it? What if they review it line-by-line? What if they write things 
>>>>>>>>>> by hand then have an LLM rephrase things and leave the LLM's final 
>>>>>>>>>> directly generated text in place?
>>>>>>>>>> What happens if 15% of the comments generated by the LLM are 
>>>>>>>>>> concise, clear, and only explain non-obvious "why's" of the code? 
>>>>>>>>>> Should a contributor go through and rephrase those lines in order to 
>>>>>>>>>> keep them from being directly generated?
>>>>>>>>>> If I was a contributor looking for a project to start getting 
>>>>>>>>>> involved with baroque and bespoke rules would be incredibly 
>>>>>>>>>> off-putting to me. Honestly, the set of rules we have and social 
>>>>>>>>>> norms today are incredibly off-putting to many long-term 
>>>>>>>>>> contributors already who have a deep vested social and professional 
>>>>>>>>>> interest in the project succeeding. Who still would love to work 
>>>>>>>>>> technically on the project but are driven away by this culture.
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> We're trying to hit a middle ground of not being too prescriptive 
>>>>>>>>>> but not leaving everything open to the interpretation of the reader 
>>>>>>>>>> which is just breeding more confusion. All in a space where the 
>>>>>>>>>> progress of the underlying tools is faster than anything I can 
>>>>>>>>>> recall in our field. Whatever policy we come up with now will 
>>>>>>>>>> probably be slightly outdated even by the time we ratify it unless 
>>>>>>>>>> it's incredibly high level and instead tries to codify our values 
>>>>>>>>>> and trust people to live up to them.
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Which I'd argue is exactly what Blake's simple proposal does. It's 
>>>>>>>>>> durable in the face of change and focuses on what's important to us 
>>>>>>>>>> and the community instead of engaging in pedantry and policing that 
>>>>>>>>>> just ends up confusing everyone further.
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2026, at 4:42 AM, Aleksey Yeshchenko via dev wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>> If anyone wants to follow along and/or add comments, we've created 
>>>>>>>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/cassandra/pull/5220
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> This is now quite qualitatively different from "Rust policy but 
>>>>>>>>>>> without the committer exception for critical sections", I'm afraid.
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> Watered down beyond what we discussed here and offline, and not 
>>>>>>>>>>> what I and most folks who endorsed a Rust-like policy voted for.
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> I'll make some edits to restore it to the shape we discussed last 
>>>>>>>>>>> night.
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>>>>> AY
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> On 29 Sep 2026, at 00:17, Caleb Rackliffe 
>>>>>>>>>>>> <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> If anyone wants to follow along and/or add comments, we've created 
>>>>>>>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/cassandra/pull/5220
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 2:45 PM Aleksey Yeshchenko via dev 
>>>>>>>>>>>> <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>> It is a little confusing to keep track of the proposed diffs to 
>>>>>>>>>>>> Rust's policy. I think David is preparing a version with all the 
>>>>>>>>>>>> changes applied to it, so there is no ambiguity.
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> How would we handle the “Non-critical” part of the experimental 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> section? The policy exempts rust-lang members from that… does 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> this mean we’d exempt committers but not non-committers. What’s 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> the Cassandra analog of the non-critical section?
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> The modified proposal removes that paragraph (about exemptions) 
>>>>>>>>>>>> altogether, thus treating all C* developers equally and allowing 
>>>>>>>>>>>> code generation for non-critical parts only for everyone.
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> If you are still confused (which would be understandable - it is 
>>>>>>>>>>>> confusing), perhaps wait for David's doc, to make sure we are all 
>>>>>>>>>>>> on the same page wrt what's being proposed first.
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>>>>>> AY
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> On 28 Sep 2026, at 20:16, Blake Eggleston <[email protected] 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> This is something I could support as well.
>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2 things:
>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Our docs tend to be neglected. While ideally our docs would be 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> 100% human generated, they’re mostly just not generated at the 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> moment. While not ideal, I think relaxing the rust LLM policy as 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> it relates to docs would  be a net positive for users, provided 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> they’re human reviewed and edited.
>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> How would we handle the “Non-critical” part of the experimental 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> section? The policy exempts rust-lang members from that… does 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> this mean we’d exempt committers but not non-committers. What’s 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> the Cassandra analog of the non-critical section?
>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2026, at 12:10 PM, Francisco Guerrero wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I've gone over the the Rust policy. I am in support of the Rust
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> version with the tweaks proposed by Caleb.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Best,
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Francisco
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On 2026/09/28 18:45:03 Aleksey Yeshchenko via dev wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > Some last minute amends to the suggested policy's TL;DR, with 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > Caleb's approval:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > - It’s fine to use LLMs to answer questions, analyze, distill, 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > refine, check, suggest, review.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > - LLMs work best when used as a tool to write better, not 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > faster.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > "But not to create." bit is covered in detail by the full 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > policy and is impossible to summarise well in two words.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > With other changes as outlined by Caleb in the quoted email, I 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > would be happy to support this fine-tuned version of Rust's 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > policy.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > --
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > AY
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > On 28 Sep 2026, at 19:27, Caleb Rackliffe 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > To clarify, I would remove the "Experimental" tag and make 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > that section apply to all contributors. (In other words, 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > encourage attribution, quality, and human decision-making 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > for all of us.)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > The spirit of this is really a one line change to the Rust 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > policy:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > > It’s fine to use LLMs to answer questions, analyze, 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > > distill, refine, check, suggest, review. But not to create.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > ...becomes...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > It’s fine to use LLMs to answer questions, analyze, distill, 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > refine, check, suggest, review. But not to decide.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 12:54 PM Caleb Rackliffe 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > <mailto:[email protected] 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > <mailto:[email protected]>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> I finally read the Rust and Lucene policy docs in more 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> detail...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> https://flagged.apple.com:443/proxy?t2=Dx1j3o8bN8&o=aHR0cHM6Ly9mb3JnZS5ydXN0LWxhbmcub3JnL3BvbGljaWVzL2xsbS11c2FnZS5odG1s&emid=10aadc4f-b52a-4662-9281-ce00061a230c&c=11
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>  
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> <https://flagged.apple.com/proxy?t2=Dx1j3o8bN8&o=aHR0cHM6Ly9mb3JnZS5ydXN0LWxhbmcub3JnL3BvbGljaWVzL2xsbS11c2FnZS5odG1s&emid=10aadc4f-b52a-4662-9281-ce00061a230c&c=11>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>  
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> <https://flagged.apple.com/proxy?t2=Dx1j3o8bN8&o=aHR0cHM6Ly9mb3JnZS5ydXN0LWxhbmcub3JnL3BvbGljaWVzL2xsbS11c2FnZS5odG1s&emid=10aadc4f-b52a-4662-9281-ce00061a230c&c=11>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> https://github.com/apache/lucene/blob/main/AI_POLICY.md
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> I think I agree with a lot of what's written in both, and 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> they overlap quite a lot, especially around communication 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> (docs, issue comments, etc.) that should be primarily 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> human-to-human. Everything useful in the Lucene policy is 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> already included in the Rust policy though. If we could 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> take the Rust policy, generalize away the Rust-specific 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> things, simplify it, and remove the "Experimental" tag (and 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> probably the "non-critical" qualifier) on the "LLM-created 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> code changes intended of review" section, I think that's 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> something a large majority of us would be able to live with.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> If we can get this right, it's simply clarifying the set of 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> things contributors (including existing committers) can do 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> to have the best chance at getting engagement from 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> reviewers.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> I don't know how much appetite there is out there for a 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> formal draft of this, and we already have 3-4 proposals, 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> but I could attempt it if that would be useful...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 10:50 AM Štefan Miklošovič 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> <mailto:[email protected] 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >> <mailto:[email protected]>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> A clarification from my side, I asked "what is wrong with 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> this" in my
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> latest email:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> "For these reasons, it should be expected that the person 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> producing
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> the patch has already demonstrated their expertise and 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> commitment by
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> producing and maintaining similar patches without the use 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> of AI"
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> It is "almost fine", the part of "similar patches without 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> the use of
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> AI" should not be there. It should stop before that.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> Otherwise this is going to exclude people who have a 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> decade of
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> experience with Cassandra and contributed countless 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> patches of various
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> size and complexity while according to that exact wording, 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> they would
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> not be eligible to contribute an AI patch. That is silly. 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> I think this
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> is wrong. It does not matter how it was produced. What is 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> important is
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> established trust and if a patch is correct. What does 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> even the size
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> of a patch have in common with that? Expertise and 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> commitment! Not
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> "the series of patches this committer ever produced was 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> not complex
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> enough so we can't take that code in".
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> Also, who is exactly going to measure that anyway? What 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> are the
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> _objective_ criteria who qualifies? Somebody might come 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> and say "while
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> based on my criteria, (because I do not like this person), 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> I do not
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> think that the patches of this person qualify, because 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> ...". We need
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> hard data on whether it can be merged or not, performance 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> improvement,
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> stability ...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> I think this particular wording would need to be refined 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> further.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 4:34 PM Štefan Miklošovič
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> <mailto:[email protected] 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> <mailto:[email protected]>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > Right ... for that reason I don't think we should 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > restrict anybody to
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > create a PR or anything like that, putting some 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > artificial constraints
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > people will eventually bypass anyway. We don't have that 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > under
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > control. What we have under control is the review part 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > of that. A
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > patch not merged will not be released. The review itself 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > is the
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > "gate".
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > If a PR, even done by AI, is up to standards, has 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > everything it should
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > have and it is technically correct, then I can not 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > reject to merge
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > that only on the basis it was AI-generated. A patch like 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > a patch. The
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > code speaks. The ultimate gate is if a patch is correct 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > or not, not
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > how it was produced.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > Do I gravitate with my trust more towards established 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > members of the
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > community? Definitely. The trust is earned over the 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > years. Implicitly,
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > I am trusting a newcomer less. Sorry but not sorry. If 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > somebody calls
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > this "gating", I don't think they see the nuances 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > enough. Yeah, call
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > it a gate if you want ...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > That is why I agree with Benedict here, he said:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > "For these reasons, it should be expected that the 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > person producing
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > the patch has already demonstrated their expertise and 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > commitment by
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > producing and maintaining similar patches without the 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > use of AI".
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > What is wrong about this?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > Look at this contributor (1). This is an excellent 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > example. 10 patches
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > in fast cadence three weeks ago. We never heard about 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > this person
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > before nor after the patches were created. What about 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > hitting a ML
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > saying "hey, guys, I have a set of patches which scratch 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > my itches,
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > can you take a look, please?". I don't know ... just be 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > a bit ...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > human about all of this? The maintainers are people too. 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > I am not
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > obliged to take in and cooperate with whoever comes by, 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > dumps their
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > stuff and then they ... wait. Well, so wait. See where 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > you got three
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > weeks after? Nowhere.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > Caleb put it nicely, we are "only" humans.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > (1) 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > https://github.com/apache/cassandra/pulls?q=is%3Apr+state%3Aopen+author%3Acheeeee
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 2:51 PM Shailaja Koppu via dev
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > <[email protected] 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > <mailto:[email protected]> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > <mailto:[email protected] 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > <mailto:[email protected]>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > Hi Stefan,
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > From personal side, I completely agree with you. I am 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > giving potential options only to address concerns like 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > - new contributors overwhelming the community with AI 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > generated PRs just to show as add-on in their profile 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > and vanish after that, or purely AI opened PRs without 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > developer review or understanding. But the later can 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > happen with anyone including committers due to 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > workload/deadlines or misled by AI etc. Also, someone 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > can copy a AI generated patch line by line skipping 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > comments, which looks like a handwritten code.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > Thanks,
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > Shailaja
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > On Sep 28, 2026, at 12:23 PM, Štefan Miklošovič 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > <[email protected] 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > <mailto:[email protected]> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > <mailto:[email protected] 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > <mailto:[email protected]>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > >> - Only Cassandra committers may submit AI-assisted 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > >> PRs. This would mean new contributors first write 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > >> and understand code without AI before becoming 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > >> committers; or
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > >> - Contributors may submit AI-assisted changes in a 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > >> component/subcomponent only after they have 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > >> submitted at least one non-AI PR in that 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > >> component/subcomponent.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > I am not sure if I am missing something but can you 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > all explain in
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > simple terms how is this actually enforceable in 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > practice?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > "Only Cassandra committers may submit AI-assisted 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > PRs" - there is no
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > restriction who can create a PR and how. It is not 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > like we see that a
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > PR is created with heavy AI usage, then we check if 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > a contributor is a
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > committer and when they are not we comment on that 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > PR saying - "hold
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > your horses mate, we checked the list and you are 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > not a committer,
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > sorry, we have to close this".
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > If a PR is crafted "carefuly" then it might look 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > like a completely
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > legitimate piece of work while it is still 100% 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > prompted and the
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > author does not have a clue what they did. I mean 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > ... how do you make
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > the difference between what is "real" and what is 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > AI-driven 100%? I
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > think that even if we "guessed" which one is which, 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > the possibility to
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > see this is being progressively erased as this tech 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > is evolving and we
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > > > will eventually not have a clue.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>> > >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

Reply via email to