I didn't say it's too hard, not sure where you got that.  It's just mildly
annoying that we'd have a list of models used on every commit.  I don't see
the value.

On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 11:21 AM Jordan West <[email protected]> wrote:

> I’m not gonna die on the attribution hill past “some kind of attribution /
> acknowledgement of LLM use is important” but I think it’s a bit farfetched
> to say “we have this tool that can write all these amazing tests and code
> but tracking what models are used and writing them down is too hard”.
> Skills that can automate development and review can be easily extended to
> track models being used. But again, it seems like there is enough concern
> for specific attribution that a more general attribution like originally
> proposed would be better. I don’t personally agree with the concerns about
> specific attribution raised so far but see many possible compromises. I
> would encourage us to debate specific language on a proposal (which again
> I’m happy to create).
>
> On testing, a few of you are implying / saying that given LLMs we can
> raise the testing bar higher than it is today. I actually agree with that.
> But it implies almost a need to use LLMs which would in turn make it harder
> for contributors who aren’t at your level of adoption of AI. As someone who
> is relatively far on the AI adoption journey I don’t personally see this as
> a bad thing but it doesn’t feel like our community is ready for that and
> many of the same folks proposing testing can be done better with LLMs are
> the same group advocating to not make the bar higher for contributors or
> have special classes of contributors. Again personally, I like raising the
> testing bar higher but I would encourage us to drive consensus on that
> separately so we can reach some form of consensus here. IMO consensus here
> will require accepting not everyone is at the same stage of AI adoption and
> viewpoints as others might be. If we are trying to get everyone to see AI
> the same and then make a policy i think we will have a hard time.
>
> Jordan
>
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 10:43 Jon Haddad <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I think the main reason is that it's far less effort to create a
>> comprehensive system for testing with an LLM than it is by hand.  For
>> example, with cursor compaction, we have parameterized, differential,
>> fuzzed tests. I was able to go through several iterations and different
>> ideas quite cheaply, in order to arrive where it is now.  Being able to
>> experiment with multiple paths forward is a huge general advantage, and on
>> the side of testing it makes it a no brainer.
>>
>> LLMs also don't complain when they need to make big revisions, or plumb
>> things through that would otherwise be an annoyance.  They don't mind the
>> grunt work, and are damn good at it.  Add a reviewer that runs PMD and
>> Jacoco and tells you where the code is either too complex or untested AND
>> can quickly refactor it, or put together a few hundred lines of test code
>> is remarkable.
>>
>> Jon
>>
>>
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 1:56 PM Dinesh Joshi <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Jordan, thanks for the guiding principles. I think this is a
>>> short-enough prose that I expect contributors to realistic read, digest and
>>> apply.
>>>
>>> One clarification though - why is the bar for LLM generated code higher
>>> than human generated code? Why isn't the bar the same for both? Why does it
>>> have to be a function of the thing that generated the code?
>>>
>>> Realistically, most developers are using LLM assistance is writing
>>> tests. Like Caleb said, the cost of writing tests has fallen to zero. If
>>> anything, I would say that the bar for tests should be higher regardless of
>>> who generated the code.
>>>
>>> An unintended side effect of having a higher test bar for LLM generated
>>> code is that it may incentivize contributors to hide / underplay the use of
>>> LLMs.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 1:04 PM Jordan West <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 12:54 Caleb Rackliffe <[email protected]>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> @Jordan I agree with essentially everything you’ve said here. The only
>>>>> exception is that I wouldn’t want to lower the testing bar (assuming we
>>>>> agree on what that means) for non-LLM-authored patches. The cost of 
>>>>> writing
>>>>> tests has esssntially fallen to zero.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> We’re absolutely aligned on that. If I implied otherwise that was an
>>>> error on my part. My only intent is the bar should be even higher
>>>> for LLM generated code than whatever the bar is for human generated
>>>> code not that we lower the human generated bar we have or agree to in the
>>>> future. Maybe we have to wordsmith that some to be more clear?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On Sep 29, 2026, at 2:30 PM, Jordan West <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> 
>>>>> While I too want to lower the bar for contributors to join us, I am
>>>>> happy to see something like the proposed policy and I don’t think reading 
>>>>> a
>>>>> short document is too much to ask when contributing to our large and
>>>>> critical code base. We’ve had and have much larger barriers to entry than
>>>>> that. One reason I’m excited about AI use in the project is I think it can
>>>>> help us lower more of those.
>>>>>
>>>>> While I agree with the spirit of the proposed policy and some of
>>>>> what’s in it I think as written it will have us back here often to
>>>>> re-discuss this topic for a couple reasons. First, “strongly discouraged”
>>>>> will have different meanings to different community members and as the
>>>>> policy acknowledges it’s unenforceable so this will lead to debates based
>>>>> on the ambiguities in the text. Second, all of us are on various points on
>>>>> a spectrum on where we see AIs abilities today and where we see them 
>>>>> going.
>>>>> The policy is written to be a sort of blend of our current opinions on
>>>>> where it is today so it seems likely we are back here today as our 
>>>>> opinions
>>>>> shift (I know my beliefs change daily to weekly these days in both
>>>>> directions), capabilities change, and new consensus is needed.
>>>>>
>>>>> I propose we do have a document but one more I like of the “motivating
>>>>> and guiding principles section” and that we rely on our other existing
>>>>> policies and assumption of positive intent of contributors. I have 
>>>>> proposed
>>>>> some below. I am sure several here will find these too lenient given what 
>>>>> I
>>>>> presume to be where they fall on the AI adoption spectrum compared to me
>>>>> and I respect that. Some days I am likely right there with you, others I’m
>>>>> more bullish. You’ll find my proposal below does not encourage trying to
>>>>> delineate parts of the codebase that can and cannot be contributed to with
>>>>> an LLM but holds standards regardless. I encourage us to find ways to set
>>>>> the bar for quality when LLMs are used now and in the future vs trying to
>>>>> limit them based on today’s opinions and capabilities that are rapidly
>>>>> changing.
>>>>>
>>>>> Some proposed ideas for some guiding principles with that in mind.
>>>>> It’s likely not a complete list.
>>>>>
>>>>> * LLMs do not change accountability. You are ultimately accountable
>>>>> for code produced or reviewed in your name. Whether hand written or by an
>>>>> LLM. If you own an agentic process performing coding or review tasks you
>>>>> are still responsible and accountable for what it produces or what actions
>>>>> it takes. We as a community are accountable for understanding and being
>>>>> knowledgeable about the software we provide to others. LLMs do not change
>>>>> this.
>>>>>
>>>>> * Humans must be involved in the merging of code either by producing
>>>>> or reviewing code and is subject to the accountability requirement above.
>>>>> Nothing about using LLMs changes existing policies regarding committers
>>>>> required to merge code, vetoes, or other voting procedures.
>>>>>
>>>>> * All LLM use must be attributed to both you and the harness,
>>>>> provider, and model being used. The project makes no specific
>>>>> recommendations or requirements regarding the toolchain used as long as 
>>>>> the
>>>>> user has legal access and provides attribution.
>>>>>
>>>>> * LLM generated code has a higher standard of automated testing than
>>>>> human code, for which we have already adopted an incredibly high standard.
>>>>> Proposed fixes or performance improvements must include runnable
>>>>> demonstrations. Use of LLMs does not absolve the accountable contributor 
>>>>> of
>>>>> existing requirements such as providing a test plan in JIRA. LLM generated
>>>>> code must be automatically linted to meet the projects code standards. LLM
>>>>> generated code is not an excuse to ignore the projects existing policies 
>>>>> on
>>>>> code style.
>>>>>
>>>>> * It is strongly preferred that documentation and comments are not LLM
>>>>> generated. We have found these to be of low quality. However, if done, the
>>>>> aforementioned accountability remains with the contributor. “The LLM wrote
>>>>> it” is not an acceptable dismissal of a review comment in any context. It
>>>>> is recommended that documentation and comments continue to be human 
>>>>> written
>>>>> and optional LLM reviewed or edited with human supervision.
>>>>>
>>>>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 08:57 Caleb Rackliffe <
>>>>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> @Josh I tried to define “directly generated” at the bottom, although
>>>>>> there isn’t a proper footnote/link. I don’t think it matters at this 
>>>>>> point.
>>>>>> There doesn’t appear to be any appetite for something in the middle, i.e.
>>>>>> what I was attempting to do there.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Sep 29, 2026, at 10:00 AM, Josh McKenzie <[email protected]>
>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Some questions that are still unclear to me after reading through
>>>>>> this thread and the PR - and I assume a new contributor would be confused
>>>>>> as well:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Re: what qualifies as "Directly Generated" by an LLM:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>    - If someone generates a full implementation and testing for
>>>>>>    something via an LLM then goes through line by line and cleans things 
>>>>>> up
>>>>>>    and makes changes, does that qualify as Directly Generated or not?
>>>>>>    - If they have fine-tuned a local model to comments in their own
>>>>>>    verbal style, is that strongly discouraged because an LLM generated 
>>>>>> it?
>>>>>>    What if they review it line-by-line? What if they write things by 
>>>>>> hand then
>>>>>>    have an LLM rephrase things and leave the LLM's final directly 
>>>>>> generated
>>>>>>    text in place?
>>>>>>    - What happens if 15% of the comments generated by the LLM are
>>>>>>    concise, clear, and only explain non-obvious "why's" of the code? 
>>>>>> Should a
>>>>>>    contributor go through and rephrase those lines in order to keep them 
>>>>>> from
>>>>>>    being directly generated?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> If I was a contributor looking for a project to start getting
>>>>>> involved with baroque and bespoke rules would be incredibly off-putting 
>>>>>> to
>>>>>> me. Honestly, the set of rules we have and social norms today are
>>>>>> incredibly off-putting to many long-term contributors already who have a
>>>>>> deep vested social and professional interest in the project succeeding. 
>>>>>> Who
>>>>>> still would love to work technically on the project but are driven away 
>>>>>> by
>>>>>> this culture.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> We're trying to hit a middle ground of not being too prescriptive but
>>>>>> not leaving everything open to the interpretation of the reader which is
>>>>>> just breeding more confusion. All in a space where the progress of the
>>>>>> underlying tools is faster than anything I can recall in our field.
>>>>>> Whatever policy we come up with now will probably be slightly outdated 
>>>>>> even
>>>>>> by the time we ratify it unless it's incredibly high level and instead
>>>>>> tries to codify our *values* and trust people to live up to them.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Which I'd argue is exactly what Blake's simple proposal does. It's
>>>>>> durable in the face of change and focuses on what's important to us and 
>>>>>> the
>>>>>> community instead of engaging in pedantry and policing that just ends up
>>>>>> confusing everyone further.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2026, at 4:42 AM, Aleksey Yeshchenko via dev wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> If anyone wants to follow along and/or add comments, we've created
>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/cassandra/pull/5220
>>>>>>
>>>>>> This is now quite qualitatively different from "Rust policy but
>>>>>> without the committer exception for critical sections", I'm afraid.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Watered down beyond what we discussed here and offline, and not what
>>>>>> I and most folks who endorsed a Rust-like policy voted for.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I'll make some edits to restore it to the shape we discussed last
>>>>>> night.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> --
>>>>>> AY
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On 29 Sep 2026, at 00:17, Caleb Rackliffe <[email protected]>
>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> If anyone wants to follow along and/or add comments, we've created
>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/cassandra/pull/5220
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 2:45 PM Aleksey Yeshchenko via dev <
>>>>>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> It is a little confusing to keep track of the proposed diffs to
>>>>>> Rust's policy. I think David is preparing a version with all the changes
>>>>>> applied to it, so there is no ambiguity.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> How would we handle the “Non-critical” part of the experimental
>>>>>> section? The policy exempts rust-lang members from that… does this mean
>>>>>> we’d exempt committers but not non-committers. What’s the Cassandra 
>>>>>> analog
>>>>>> of the non-critical section?
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> The modified proposal removes that paragraph (about exemptions)
>>>>>> altogether, thus treating all C* developers equally and allowing code
>>>>>> generation for non-critical parts only for everyone.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> If you are still confused (which would be understandable - it is
>>>>>> confusing), perhaps wait for David's doc, to make sure we are all on the
>>>>>> same page wrt what's being proposed first.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> --
>>>>>> AY
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On 28 Sep 2026, at 20:16, Blake Eggleston <[email protected]>
>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> This is something I could support as well.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> 2 things:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Our docs tend to be neglected. While ideally our docs would be 100%
>>>>>> human generated, they’re mostly just not generated at the moment. While 
>>>>>> not
>>>>>> ideal, I think relaxing the rust LLM policy as it relates to docs would  
>>>>>> be
>>>>>> a net positive for users, provided they’re human reviewed and edited.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> How would we handle the “Non-critical” part of the experimental
>>>>>> section? The policy exempts rust-lang members from that… does this mean
>>>>>> we’d exempt committers but not non-committers. What’s the Cassandra 
>>>>>> analog
>>>>>> of the non-critical section?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2026, at 12:10 PM, Francisco Guerrero wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I've gone over the the Rust policy. I am in support of the Rust
>>>>>> version with the tweaks proposed by Caleb.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Best,
>>>>>> - Francisco
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On 2026/09/28 18:45:03 Aleksey Yeshchenko via dev wrote:
>>>>>> > Some last minute amends to the suggested policy's TL;DR, with
>>>>>> Caleb's approval:
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > - It’s fine to use LLMs to answer questions, analyze, distill,
>>>>>> refine, check, suggest, review.
>>>>>> > - LLMs work best when used as a tool to write better, not faster.
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > "But not to create." bit is covered in detail by the full policy
>>>>>> and is impossible to summarise well in two words.
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > With other changes as outlined by Caleb in the quoted email, I
>>>>>> would be happy to support this fine-tuned version of Rust's policy.
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > --
>>>>>> > AY
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > > On 28 Sep 2026, at 19:27, Caleb Rackliffe <
>>>>>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>> > >
>>>>>> > > To clarify, I would remove the "Experimental" tag and make that
>>>>>> section apply to all contributors. (In other words, encourage 
>>>>>> attribution,
>>>>>> quality, and human decision-making for all of us.)
>>>>>> > >
>>>>>> > > The spirit of this is really a one line change to the Rust policy:
>>>>>> > >
>>>>>> > > > It’s fine to use LLMs to answer questions, analyze, distill,
>>>>>> refine, check, suggest, review. But not to create.
>>>>>> > >
>>>>>> > > ...becomes...
>>>>>> > >
>>>>>> > > It’s fine to use LLMs to answer questions, analyze, distill,
>>>>>> refine, check, suggest, review. But not to decide.
>>>>>> > >
>>>>>> > >
>>>>>> > >
>>>>>> > > On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 12:54 PM Caleb Rackliffe <
>>>>>> [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>>>> > >> I finally read the Rust and Lucene policy docs in more detail...
>>>>>> > >>
>>>>>> > >>
>>>>>> https://flagged.apple.com:443/proxy?t2=Dx1j3o8bN8&o=aHR0cHM6Ly9mb3JnZS5ydXN0LWxhbmcub3JnL3BvbGljaWVzL2xsbS11c2FnZS5odG1s&emid=10aadc4f-b52a-4662-9281-ce00061a230c&c=11
>>>>>> <https://flagged.apple.com/proxy?t2=Dx1j3o8bN8&o=aHR0cHM6Ly9mb3JnZS5ydXN0LWxhbmcub3JnL3BvbGljaWVzL2xsbS11c2FnZS5odG1s&emid=10aadc4f-b52a-4662-9281-ce00061a230c&c=11>
>>>>>> <
>>>>>> https://flagged.apple.com/proxy?t2=Dx1j3o8bN8&o=aHR0cHM6Ly9mb3JnZS5ydXN0LWxhbmcub3JnL3BvbGljaWVzL2xsbS11c2FnZS5odG1s&emid=10aadc4f-b52a-4662-9281-ce00061a230c&c=11
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > >> https://github.com/apache/lucene/blob/main/AI_POLICY.md
>>>>>> > >>
>>>>>> > >> I think I agree with a lot of what's written in both, and they
>>>>>> overlap quite a lot, especially around communication (docs, issue 
>>>>>> comments,
>>>>>> etc.) that should be primarily human-to-human. Everything useful in the
>>>>>> Lucene policy is already included in the Rust policy though. If we could
>>>>>> take the Rust policy, generalize away the Rust-specific things, simplify
>>>>>> it, and remove the "Experimental" tag (and probably the "non-critical"
>>>>>> qualifier) on the "LLM-created code changes intended of review" section, 
>>>>>> I
>>>>>> think that's something a large majority of us would be able to live with.
>>>>>> > >>
>>>>>> > >> If we can get this right, it's simply clarifying the set of
>>>>>> things contributors (including existing committers) can do to have the 
>>>>>> best
>>>>>> chance at getting engagement from reviewers.
>>>>>> > >>
>>>>>> > >> I don't know how much appetite there is out there for a formal
>>>>>> draft of this, and we already have 3-4 proposals, but I could attempt it 
>>>>>> if
>>>>>> that would be useful...
>>>>>> > >>
>>>>>> > >>
>>>>>> > >> On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 10:50 AM Štefan Miklošovič <
>>>>>> [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>>>> > >>> A clarification from my side, I asked "what is wrong with this"
>>>>>> in my
>>>>>> > >>> latest email:
>>>>>> > >>>
>>>>>> > >>> "For these reasons, it should be expected that the person
>>>>>> producing
>>>>>> > >>> the patch has already demonstrated their expertise and
>>>>>> commitment by
>>>>>> > >>> producing and maintaining similar patches without the use of AI"
>>>>>> > >>>
>>>>>> > >>> It is "almost fine", the part of "similar patches without the
>>>>>> use of
>>>>>> > >>> AI" should not be there. It should stop before that.
>>>>>> > >>>
>>>>>> > >>> Otherwise this is going to exclude people who have a decade of
>>>>>> > >>> experience with Cassandra and contributed countless patches of
>>>>>> various
>>>>>> > >>> size and complexity while according to that exact wording, they
>>>>>> would
>>>>>> > >>> not be eligible to contribute an AI patch. That is silly. I
>>>>>> think this
>>>>>> > >>> is wrong. It does not matter how it was produced. What is
>>>>>> important is
>>>>>> > >>> established trust and if a patch is correct. What does even the
>>>>>> size
>>>>>> > >>> of a patch have in common with that? Expertise and commitment!
>>>>>> Not
>>>>>> > >>> "the series of patches this committer ever produced was not
>>>>>> complex
>>>>>> > >>> enough so we can't take that code in".
>>>>>> > >>>
>>>>>> > >>> Also, who is exactly going to measure that anyway? What are the
>>>>>> > >>> _objective_ criteria who qualifies? Somebody might come and say
>>>>>> "while
>>>>>> > >>> based on my criteria, (because I do not like this person), I do
>>>>>> not
>>>>>> > >>> think that the patches of this person qualify, because ...". We
>>>>>> need
>>>>>> > >>> hard data on whether it can be merged or not, performance
>>>>>> improvement,
>>>>>> > >>> stability ...
>>>>>> > >>>
>>>>>> > >>> I think this particular wording would need to be refined
>>>>>> further.
>>>>>> > >>>
>>>>>> > >>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 4:34 PM Štefan Miklošovič
>>>>>> > >>> <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>> > >>> > Right ... for that reason I don't think we should restrict
>>>>>> anybody to
>>>>>> > >>> > create a PR or anything like that, putting some artificial
>>>>>> constraints
>>>>>> > >>> > people will eventually bypass anyway. We don't have that under
>>>>>> > >>> > control. What we have under control is the review part of
>>>>>> that. A
>>>>>> > >>> > patch not merged will not be released. The review itself is
>>>>>> the
>>>>>> > >>> > "gate".
>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>> > >>> > If a PR, even done by AI, is up to standards, has everything
>>>>>> it should
>>>>>> > >>> > have and it is technically correct, then I can not reject to
>>>>>> merge
>>>>>> > >>> > that only on the basis it was AI-generated. A patch like a
>>>>>> patch. The
>>>>>> > >>> > code speaks. The ultimate gate is if a patch is correct or
>>>>>> not, not
>>>>>> > >>> > how it was produced.
>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>> > >>> > Do I gravitate with my trust more towards established members
>>>>>> of the
>>>>>> > >>> > community? Definitely. The trust is earned over the years.
>>>>>> Implicitly,
>>>>>> > >>> > I am trusting a newcomer less. Sorry but not sorry. If
>>>>>> somebody calls
>>>>>> > >>> > this "gating", I don't think they see the nuances enough.
>>>>>> Yeah, call
>>>>>> > >>> > it a gate if you want ...
>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>> > >>> > That is why I agree with Benedict here, he said:
>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>> > >>> > "For these reasons, it should be expected that the person
>>>>>> producing
>>>>>> > >>> > the patch has already demonstrated their expertise and
>>>>>> commitment by
>>>>>> > >>> > producing and maintaining similar patches without the use of
>>>>>> AI".
>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>> > >>> > What is wrong about this?
>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>> > >>> > Look at this contributor (1). This is an excellent example.
>>>>>> 10 patches
>>>>>> > >>> > in fast cadence three weeks ago. We never heard about this
>>>>>> person
>>>>>> > >>> > before nor after the patches were created. What about hitting
>>>>>> a ML
>>>>>> > >>> > saying "hey, guys, I have a set of patches which scratch my
>>>>>> itches,
>>>>>> > >>> > can you take a look, please?". I don't know ... just be a bit
>>>>>> ...
>>>>>> > >>> > human about all of this? The maintainers are people too. I am
>>>>>> not
>>>>>> > >>> > obliged to take in and cooperate with whoever comes by, dumps
>>>>>> their
>>>>>> > >>> > stuff and then they ... wait. Well, so wait. See where you
>>>>>> got three
>>>>>> > >>> > weeks after? Nowhere.
>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>> > >>> > Caleb put it nicely, we are "only" humans.
>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>> > >>> > (1)
>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/cassandra/pulls?q=is%3Apr+state%3Aopen+author%3Acheeeee
>>>>>> > >>> >
>>>>>> > >>> > On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 2:51 PM Shailaja Koppu via dev
>>>>>> > >>> > <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>> > >>> > >
>>>>>> > >>> > > Hi Stefan,
>>>>>> > >>> > >
>>>>>> > >>> > > From personal side, I completely agree with you. I am
>>>>>> giving potential options only to address concerns like - new contributors
>>>>>> overwhelming the community with AI generated PRs just to show as add-on 
>>>>>> in
>>>>>> their profile and vanish after that, or purely AI opened PRs without
>>>>>> developer review or understanding. But the later can happen with anyone
>>>>>> including committers due to workload/deadlines or misled by AI etc. Also,
>>>>>> someone can copy a AI generated patch line by line skipping comments, 
>>>>>> which
>>>>>> looks like a handwritten code.
>>>>>> > >>> > >
>>>>>> > >>> > >
>>>>>> > >>> > > Thanks,
>>>>>> > >>> > > Shailaja
>>>>>> > >>> > >
>>>>>> > >>> > >
>>>>>> > >>> > >
>>>>>> > >>> > > > On Sep 28, 2026, at 12:23 PM, Štefan Miklošovič <
>>>>>> [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>>>> > >>> > > >
>>>>>> > >>> > > >> - Only Cassandra committers may submit AI-assisted PRs.
>>>>>> This would mean new contributors first write and understand code without 
>>>>>> AI
>>>>>> before becoming committers; or
>>>>>> > >>> > > >> - Contributors may submit AI-assisted changes in a
>>>>>> component/subcomponent only after they have submitted at least one non-AI
>>>>>> PR in that component/subcomponent.
>>>>>> > >>> > > >
>>>>>> > >>> > > > I am not sure if I am missing something but can you all
>>>>>> explain in
>>>>>> > >>> > > > simple terms how is this actually enforceable in practice?
>>>>>> > >>> > > >
>>>>>> > >>> > > > "Only Cassandra committers may submit AI-assisted PRs" -
>>>>>> there is no
>>>>>> > >>> > > > restriction who can create a PR and how. It is not like
>>>>>> we see that a
>>>>>> > >>> > > > PR is created with heavy AI usage, then we check if a
>>>>>> contributor is a
>>>>>> > >>> > > > committer and when they are not we comment on that PR
>>>>>> saying - "hold
>>>>>> > >>> > > > your horses mate, we checked the list and you are not a
>>>>>> committer,
>>>>>> > >>> > > > sorry, we have to close this".
>>>>>> > >>> > > >
>>>>>> > >>> > > > If a PR is crafted "carefuly" then it might look like a
>>>>>> completely
>>>>>> > >>> > > > legitimate piece of work while it is still 100% prompted
>>>>>> and the
>>>>>> > >>> > > > author does not have a clue what they did. I mean ... how
>>>>>> do you make
>>>>>> > >>> > > > the difference between what is "real" and what is
>>>>>> AI-driven 100%? I
>>>>>> > >>> > > > think that even if we "guessed" which one is which, the
>>>>>> possibility to
>>>>>> > >>> > > > see this is being progressively erased as this tech is
>>>>>> evolving and we
>>>>>> > >>> > > > will eventually not have a clue.
>>>>>> > >>> > >
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> >
>>>>>>
>>>>>>

Reply via email to