To clarify, I would remove the "Experimental" tag and make that section
apply to all contributors. (In other words, encourage attribution, quality,
and human decision-making for all of us.)

The spirit of this is really a one line change to the Rust policy:

> It’s fine to use LLMs to answer questions, analyze, distill, refine,
check, suggest, review. But not to *create*.

...becomes...

It’s fine to use LLMs to answer questions, analyze, distill, refine, check,
suggest, review. But not to *decide*.



On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 12:54 PM Caleb Rackliffe <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I finally read the Rust and Lucene policy docs in more detail...
>
> https://forge.rust-lang.org/policies/llm-usage.html
> https://github.com/apache/lucene/blob/main/AI_POLICY.md
>
> I think I agree with a lot of what's written in both, and they overlap
> quite a lot, especially around communication (docs, issue comments, etc.)
> that should be primarily human-to-human. Everything useful in the Lucene
> policy is already included in the Rust policy though. If we could take the
> Rust policy, generalize away the Rust-specific things, simplify it, and
> remove the "Experimental" tag (and probably the "non-critical" qualifier)
> on the "LLM-created code changes intended of review" section, I think
> that's something a large majority of us would be able to live with.
>
> If we can get this right, it's simply clarifying the set of things
> contributors (including existing committers) can do to have the best chance
> at getting engagement from reviewers.
>
> I don't know how much appetite there is out there for a formal draft of
> this, and we already have 3-4 proposals, but I could attempt it if that
> would be useful...
>
>
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 10:50 AM Štefan Miklošovič <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> A clarification from my side, I asked "what is wrong with this" in my
>> latest email:
>>
>> "For these reasons, it should be expected that the person producing
>> the patch has already demonstrated their expertise and commitment by
>> producing and maintaining similar patches without the use of AI"
>>
>> It is "almost fine", the part of "similar patches without the use of
>> AI" should not be there. It should stop before that.
>>
>> Otherwise this is going to exclude people who have a decade of
>> experience with Cassandra and contributed countless patches of various
>> size and complexity while according to that exact wording, they would
>> not be eligible to contribute an AI patch. That is silly. I think this
>> is wrong. It does not matter how it was produced. What is important is
>> established trust and if a patch is correct. What does even the size
>> of a patch have in common with that? Expertise and commitment! Not
>> "the series of patches this committer ever produced was not complex
>> enough so we can't take that code in".
>>
>> Also, who is exactly going to measure that anyway? What are the
>> _objective_ criteria who qualifies? Somebody might come and say "while
>> based on my criteria, (because I do not like this person), I do not
>> think that the patches of this person qualify, because ...". We need
>> hard data on whether it can be merged or not, performance improvement,
>> stability ...
>>
>> I think this particular wording would need to be refined further.
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 4:34 PM Štefan Miklošovič
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Right ... for that reason I don't think we should restrict anybody to
>> > create a PR or anything like that, putting some artificial constraints
>> > people will eventually bypass anyway. We don't have that under
>> > control. What we have under control is the review part of that. A
>> > patch not merged will not be released. The review itself is the
>> > "gate".
>> >
>> > If a PR, even done by AI, is up to standards, has everything it should
>> > have and it is technically correct, then I can not reject to merge
>> > that only on the basis it was AI-generated. A patch like a patch. The
>> > code speaks. The ultimate gate is if a patch is correct or not, not
>> > how it was produced.
>> >
>> > Do I gravitate with my trust more towards established members of the
>> > community? Definitely. The trust is earned over the years. Implicitly,
>> > I am trusting a newcomer less. Sorry but not sorry. If somebody calls
>> > this "gating", I don't think they see the nuances enough. Yeah, call
>> > it a gate if you want ...
>> >
>> > That is why I agree with Benedict here, he said:
>> >
>> > "For these reasons, it should be expected that the person producing
>> > the patch has already demonstrated their expertise and commitment by
>> > producing and maintaining similar patches without the use of AI".
>> >
>> > What is wrong about this?
>> >
>> > Look at this contributor (1). This is an excellent example. 10 patches
>> > in fast cadence three weeks ago. We never heard about this person
>> > before nor after the patches were created. What about hitting a ML
>> > saying "hey, guys, I have a set of patches which scratch my itches,
>> > can you take a look, please?". I don't know ... just be a bit ...
>> > human about all of this? The maintainers are people too. I am not
>> > obliged to take in and cooperate with whoever comes by, dumps their
>> > stuff and then they ... wait. Well, so wait. See where you got three
>> > weeks after? Nowhere.
>> >
>> > Caleb put it nicely, we are "only" humans.
>> >
>> > (1)
>> https://github.com/apache/cassandra/pulls?q=is%3Apr+state%3Aopen+author%3Acheeeee
>> >
>> > On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 2:51 PM Shailaja Koppu via dev
>> > <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > >
>> > > Hi Stefan,
>> > >
>> > > From personal side, I completely agree with you. I am giving
>> potential options only to address concerns like - new contributors
>> overwhelming the community with AI generated PRs just to show as add-on in
>> their profile and vanish after that, or purely AI opened PRs without
>> developer review or understanding. But the later can happen with anyone
>> including committers due to workload/deadlines or misled by AI etc. Also,
>> someone can copy a AI generated patch line by line skipping comments, which
>> looks like a handwritten code.
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > Thanks,
>> > > Shailaja
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > > On Sep 28, 2026, at 12:23 PM, Štefan Miklošovič <
>> [email protected]> wrote:
>> > > >
>> > > >> - Only Cassandra committers may submit AI-assisted PRs. This would
>> mean new contributors first write and understand code without AI before
>> becoming committers; or
>> > > >> - Contributors may submit AI-assisted changes in a
>> component/subcomponent only after they have submitted at least one non-AI
>> PR in that component/subcomponent.
>> > > >
>> > > > I am not sure if I am missing something but can you all explain in
>> > > > simple terms how is this actually enforceable in practice?
>> > > >
>> > > > "Only Cassandra committers may submit AI-assisted PRs" - there is no
>> > > > restriction who can create a PR and how. It is not like we see that
>> a
>> > > > PR is created with heavy AI usage, then we check if a contributor
>> is a
>> > > > committer and when they are not we comment on that PR saying - "hold
>> > > > your horses mate, we checked the list and you are not a committer,
>> > > > sorry, we have to close this".
>> > > >
>> > > > If a PR is crafted "carefuly" then it might look like a completely
>> > > > legitimate piece of work while it is still 100% prompted and the
>> > > > author does not have a clue what they did. I mean ... how do you
>> make
>> > > > the difference between what is "real" and what is AI-driven 100%? I
>> > > > think that even if we "guessed" which one is which, the possibility
>> to
>> > > > see this is being progressively erased as this tech is evolving and
>> we
>> > > > will eventually not have a clue.
>> > >
>>
>

Reply via email to