What is so special about Valliyoor?

The breathtaking scenic beauty, the hills of Valliyoor, the temple of Lord
Muruga (also called Lord Karthikeya) which is located in a cave under the
hill. The temples of Muppandal Esakki Amman (a village deity that is very
powerful) as well as Lord Sundara Venkatesa Perumal (Lord Balaji) are other
well-known temples. In recent years, the Mutharamman temple has been
re-constructed by way of suitable modifications. All these shrines are the
pride of Valliyoor. More importantly, this writer was born in Valliyoor !

Mahendragiri Hill that finds mention in Sundara-Kandam is located to the
west of Valliyoor. This was the hill where Sage Parasurama did severe
penance. The Valliyoor lake is called as “Cheevalaperi lake”.Well known
poet-saint Arunagirinathar has written about Valliyoor in Thirupukkazh”.
Keezhakallur Mu. Azhvarapillai (1839-1925) has sung about Valliyoor in his
verses. These verses were published by the temple authorities in the year
1942.

Valliyoor Murugan Temple view

Village lore has it that Sage Agastya had cursed a merchant called Durlaban
in Valliyoor when he refused to part with a few morsels of rice saying that
he can’t give anything in charity, even if it was for Sage Agastya. The
sage cursed that all the rice that couldn’t be of use to someone like him,
be as well converted to stone. This is how the hills were formed.

Between the years 1162-1173, Valliyoor was the capital of Pandiya Kings. It
is located fairly close to Sri Lanka. Invasion of Muslim rulers around B C
1310 appears to have destroyed many valuable historical records. In the
year 1955, electricity connection was given to the temple.

Though Valliyoor is synonymous with Murugan temple, requests have been made
for archaeological survey in the areas in and around Valliyoor. It is
widely believed that Valliyoor palace and fort were destroyed by invaders.

Vallioor Histor, Glory and Splendour           In the entire Tirunelveli
district, Valliyoor has the rare distinction of having the one and only
cave temple of Lord Muruga. A rock named as Pooranagiri was excavated to
build this temple. The temple shape is in the form of “Om”. Lord Muruga
stands in the sanctum sanctorum accompanied by his consorts Valli and
Deivanai.

Note that Lord Muruga has four arms and the idol is a replica of the one in
Tiruchendur. On his right hand are flowers and his left hand is holding
onto his thigh. Next to the sanctum sanctorum is located the artha mandapam
and then the maha mandapam. In the artha mandapam, Lord Arumuga gives
darshan along with Valli – Deivanai. To facilitate circumambulation of the
artha mandapam, the hill has been drilled to set up a cave path till the
sanctum sanctorum of Lord Shiva. In this temple, Lord Shiva is called as –
Jayandeeswarar. The shiva ling faces the west in this temple which is
considered very auspicious.

Opposite Lord Muruga is placed the idol of peacock which is Lord Muruga’s
vehicle (vaganam). The artha mandapam also has the idols of Vinayaka,
Veerabahu and Veera Mahendran. On the right side of the artha mandapam is a
cave. Alongside the entrance of the cave are Vinayaka, sastha (ayyappa) and
Lord Shiva. The Murugan temple has 13th century stone carvings. The temple
also has a specific sanctum sanctorum dedicate to Valli – consort of Lord
Muruga. The maha mandapam has kashi vishwanadhar, visalakshi and shani
bhagwan. There is also Dakshinamurthy (Guru Bhagavan) idol in the temple.

      VALLIYUR MAHARAJA IS KULADEIVAM FOR MANY KERALITES EVEN

K RAJARAM IRS 28125

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/CAL5XZoqa5fzk-JWchcJQtLwLODRWkMYE6%3DrAPdny-_4renLbkA%40mail.gmail.com.

Reply via email to