What is so special about Valliyoor?
The breathtaking scenic beauty, the hills of Valliyoor, the temple of Lord
Muruga (also called Lord Karthikeya) which is located in a cave under the
hill. The temples of Muppandal Esakki Amman (a village deity that is very
powerful) as well as Lord Sundara Venkatesa Perumal (Lord Balaji) are other
well-known temples. In recent years, the Mutharamman temple has been
re-constructed by way of suitable modifications. All these shrines are the
pride of Valliyoor. More importantly, this writer was born in Valliyoor !
Mahendragiri Hill that finds mention in Sundara-Kandam is located to the
west of Valliyoor. This was the hill where Sage Parasurama did severe
penance. The Valliyoor lake is called as “Cheevalaperi lake”.Well known
poet-saint Arunagirinathar has written about Valliyoor in Thirupukkazh”.
Keezhakallur Mu. Azhvarapillai (1839-1925) has sung about Valliyoor in his
verses. These verses were published by the temple authorities in the year
1942.
Valliyoor Murugan Temple view
Village lore has it that Sage Agastya had cursed a merchant called Durlaban
in Valliyoor when he refused to part with a few morsels of rice saying that
he can’t give anything in charity, even if it was for Sage Agastya. The
sage cursed that all the rice that couldn’t be of use to someone like him,
be as well converted to stone. This is how the hills were formed.
Between the years 1162-1173, Valliyoor was the capital of Pandiya Kings. It
is located fairly close to Sri Lanka. Invasion of Muslim rulers around B C
1310 appears to have destroyed many valuable historical records. In the
year 1955, electricity connection was given to the temple.
Though Valliyoor is synonymous with Murugan temple, requests have been made
for archaeological survey in the areas in and around Valliyoor. It is
widely believed that Valliyoor palace and fort were destroyed by invaders.
Vallioor Histor, Glory and Splendour In the entire Tirunelveli
district, Valliyoor has the rare distinction of having the one and only
cave temple of Lord Muruga. A rock named as Pooranagiri was excavated to
build this temple. The temple shape is in the form of “Om”. Lord Muruga
stands in the sanctum sanctorum accompanied by his consorts Valli and
Deivanai.
Note that Lord Muruga has four arms and the idol is a replica of the one in
Tiruchendur. On his right hand are flowers and his left hand is holding
onto his thigh. Next to the sanctum sanctorum is located the artha mandapam
and then the maha mandapam. In the artha mandapam, Lord Arumuga gives
darshan along with Valli – Deivanai. To facilitate circumambulation of the
artha mandapam, the hill has been drilled to set up a cave path till the
sanctum sanctorum of Lord Shiva. In this temple, Lord Shiva is called as –
Jayandeeswarar. The shiva ling faces the west in this temple which is
considered very auspicious.
Opposite Lord Muruga is placed the idol of peacock which is Lord Muruga’s
vehicle (vaganam). The artha mandapam also has the idols of Vinayaka,
Veerabahu and Veera Mahendran. On the right side of the artha mandapam is a
cave. Alongside the entrance of the cave are Vinayaka, sastha (ayyappa) and
Lord Shiva. The Murugan temple has 13th century stone carvings. The temple
also has a specific sanctum sanctorum dedicate to Valli – consort of Lord
Muruga. The maha mandapam has kashi vishwanadhar, visalakshi and shani
bhagwan. There is also Dakshinamurthy (Guru Bhagavan) idol in the temple.
VALLIYUR MAHARAJA IS KULADEIVAM FOR MANY KERALITES EVEN
K RAJARAM IRS 28125
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: 'gopala krishnan' via iyer123 <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2025 at 08:31
Subject: [iyer123] LORD MURUGAN TEMPLE –VALLIYUR
To: Iyer <[email protected]>
*LORD MURUGAN TEMPLE –VALLIYUR*
*TIRUNELVELI DISTRICT-TAMILNADU*
Dear Friends,
Today my posting is about the famous Lord Murugan temple at Valliyur *in
between Nagerkovil and Tirunelveli,* in the Tirunelveli District.
The temple is situated upon a small hill and the sanctum of the temple is
rock cut. The information furnished here is *compiled.*
While working at Nagerkovil during 1976’s as selection grade Junior
Engineer in Telecom Department, I was in-charge of telegraph and Trunk
lines from Nagerkovil up to Valliyur.
Hope a divine reading.
*Gopalakrishnan 27-1-2025*
Introduction
This ancient Murugan temple is located at Valliyur, near Nanguneri, not far
from Tirunelveli and Kanyakumari. Valliyoor is located on the
Kashi-Kanyakumari highway, it is at 30 milestones from Tirunelveli and
Nagerkovil. The Valliyoor Murugan temple is located in close proximity to
the Valliyoor railway station. It has been revered by the Tiruppukazh hymns
of *Arunagirinathar.*
The presiding deity here is Subramaniyar, and the sanctum enshrines an
image of *Murugan with his consort Valli*.
The temple has a rock-cut sanctum carved out of a hill and several
mandapams surrounding it. There are also shrines to *Natarajar and
Dakshinamūrti* here. The Saravanapoikai tank is located adjacent to the
hill.
The diamond studded Vel held by Subramaniyar is of great beauty.
Legend
Lord Muruga came to Valliyoor immediately after marrying Valli. References
are indicated in the Skandapuranam. Valli was so much in love with Lord
Muruga that she refused to allow Deivanai in her domain. Deivanai was
almost in tears and it was only sage Agastya who consoled Deivanai and took
her to Valli and explained to her that Deivanai be treated like her sister.
As this place belonged to Valli who seems to have had a dominating nature,
it is not surprising that *women born in Valliyoor are said to be extremely
demanding wives after their marriage. *They are also extra sensitive. Not a
surprise - because it appears Lord Muruga simply pampered Valli!. *Because
Valli liked the place very much, the place got the name Valliyoor.*
Legend has it that Indra and Agastyar worshipped Subramanyar here. Legend
also has it that the Saravanapoikai tank was created when Murugan struck
his spear to the ground, upon being requested by his consort.
History
This temple was first discovered by a Pandya king who came here on a
hunting expedition after visiting the Perumal temple at Tirukkurunkudi and
that the temple was expanded by his descendents.
Valliyur was under the governance of Kulasekhara Pandyan of 13th century,
who fortified the village
Temple and deities
The temple shape is in the form of “Om”. Lord Muruga stands in the sanctum
sanctorum accompanied by his consorts Valli and Deivanai.
Lord Muruga has four arms and the idol is a replica of the one in
Tiruchendur. On his right hand are flowers and his left hand is holding
onto his thigh.
Next to the sanctum sanctorum is located the artha mandapam and then the
maha mandapam. In the artha mandapam, Lord Arumuga gives darshan along with
Valli – Deivanai. To facilitate circumambulation of the artha mandapam, the
hill has been drilled to set up a cave path till the sanctum sanctorum of
Lord Shiva.
In this temple, Lord Shiva is called as – Jayandeeswarar. The shiva ling
faces the west in this temple which is considered very auspicious.
Opposite Lord Muruga is placed the idol of peacock which is Lord Muruga’s
vehicle (vaganam). The artha mandapam also has the idols of *Vinayaka,
Veerabahu and Veera Mahendran.* On the right side of the artha mandapam is
a cave. Alongside the entrance of the cave are *Vinayaka, sastha (ayyappa)
and Lord Shiva*.
The Murugan temple has 13th century stone carvings. The temple also has a
specific sanctum sanctorum dedicate to Valli – consort of Lord Muruga. The
maha mandapam has *kashi vishwanadhar, visalakshi and shani bhagwan. There
is also Dakshinamurthy (Guru Bhagavan) idol in the temple.*
Poojas
Seven worship services are carried out each day.
Pooja Timings
5.30 – 6.00 am – Vishwaroopam
6.30 – 7.00 am – Udayamarthandam
7.30 – 8.00 am – Festival Pooja
8.30 – 9.00 am – Chirukalasanthi
11.00-11.30 am – Ucchikaal pooja
5.30 – 6.00 pm – Sayaaratchai pooja
8.00 – 8.30 pm – Arthachamam pooja
Every day at 7:30 am in the morning, abhishekams are performed for Lord
Muruga. On special occasions like Sasthi, Lord Muruga and his consorts are
decorated with flowers and clothes and a procession is taken in silver
peacock vehicles.
Festivals
Giri pradakshinam is considered to be of importance here as in
Tiruvannamalai, Kunnakkudi and Palani. Skanda Sashti is celebrated with
great splendour here as are the float festival in the month *of Karttikai
and the annual festival in the month of Chittirai.*
*Other festivals celebrated are*-Chitra Vishu (April 14), Chitra Pournami
(May 6), Vasantham (Spring) festival, Adi Amavasya, Pongal, Makara
Sankaranthi, Mahashivarathri. During the celebrated Karttik month, lamps
are lighted in the adjoining hills. The popular soora-samhara festival is
also celebrated with pomp in Valliyoor. Soora-samhara is an important event
during which Lord Muruga decimates all his enemies. (Soora – evil, Samhara
– Kill).
Benefits of visiting the temple
No one has ever returned empty-handed from the Valliyoor Murugan temple.
Childless couples have visited Valliyoor, prayed and have come back to pay
their respects after their wish was fulfilled by Lord Muruga. Valliyoor
Murugan looks at you and says – “Yamirukka Bhayamen” (Why fear when I am
here) and that sums up the power of this shrine which is located amidst
picturesque Mahendragiri hills. Lord Muruga is someone who rushes to your
rescue provided you remember him. So, what are you waiting for?
Offerings and charges
Archana – Rs.1.50 Coconut pooja – Rs.7.75
Abhishekam – Rs.51.00 Kalabam – Rs.100
Kavadi – Rs.10 Paal Kudam – Rs.10
Pooja items
All the pooja items are available at the temple entrance itself. Abhishekams
are performed in the temple for Rs.2/-. If this does not make your heart
melt, nothing else can.
How to reach Valliyoor
Tirunelveli is however the closest important railway station. Valliyoor is
a one hour drive from Tirunelveli. Nagercoil is also located close to
Valliyoor. Valliyoor has a railway station too. Some trains do halt at
Valliyoor (like the Kanyakumari Express). Bus facilities are aplenty to
reach Valliyoor from Nagercoil / Tirunelveli.
Anna danam
Every day, the temple hosts annadanam (free meals) for about 100 people
Administration
The temple is maintained under the Hindu Religious and Charitable
Endowments Department, Government of Tamil Nadu.
Temple Address
The Temple Executive Officer/ Peshkar,
Arulmigu Subramanya Swamy Temple
Valliyoor, Radhapuram, Tirunelveli District
Tamil Nadu– 627 117 India
Tel No : 04637-222888
Sage Agasthia curse.
Village lore has it that Sage Agastya had cursed a merchant called Durlaban
in Valliyoor when he refused to part with a few morsels of rice saying that
he can’t give anything in charity, even if it was for Sage Agastya. The
sage cursed that all the rice that couldn’t be of use to someone like him,
be as well converted to stone. *This is how the hills were formed.*
Saints sung on the temple
Well known poet-saint Arunagirinathar has written about Valliyoor in
Thirupukkazh”. Keezhakallur Mu. Azhvarapillai (1839-1925) has sung about
Valliyoor in his verses. These verses were published by the temple
authorities in the year 1942.
Archeological survey
Archaeological surveys in and around Valliyoor have discovered hidden *Shiva
temples in and around the Nambi river as well as a few sastha temples that
were not maintained so well*. Some of the idols that were found were
supposedly 3000 years old.
Valliyoor
The once tiny hamlet has grown exponentially over the last few years to
become a town. It is famous for the Murugan temple. *Valli is the consort
of Lord Muruga and Oor in Tamil means village. So, Valliyoor = Valli + Oor
; the village of Valli.*
The temples of Muppandal Esakki Amman (a village deity that is very
powerful) as well as Lord Sundara Venkatesa Perumal (Lord Balaji) are other
well-known temples near Vallyur. In recent years, the Mutharamman temple
has been re-constructed by way of suitable modifications. All these shrines
are the pride of Valliyoor.
*Mahendragiri Hill that finds mention in Sundara-Kandam is located to the
west of Valliyoor*. This was the hill where Sage Parasurama did severe
penance. The Valliyoor lake is called as “Cheevalaperi lake”.
In the entire Tirunelveli district, Valliyoor has the rare distinction of
having the one and only cave temple of Lord Muruga. A rock named as
Pooranagiri was excavated to build this temple.
The pond/lake in Valliyoor is breathtakingly beautiful and it is referred
as “Saravana poigai”. Legend has it that Lord Muruga created this pond with
the help of his weapon – the inimitable “vel” when Valli requested him for
the same.
During festive occasions, the Valliyoor Murugan temple has its own charm
and the entire village rallies around the temple to take part in the
festivities. The temple history and other religious books are available in
the temple itself.
--
To go to your groups page on the web, login to your gmail account and then
click on https://groups.google.com/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"iyer123" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to [email protected].
To view this discussion visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/iyer123/1851875159.3078216.1738033230467%40mail.yahoo.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/iyer123/1851875159.3078216.1738033230467%40mail.yahoo.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email
to [email protected].
To view this discussion visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/CAL5XZorTn9VpVmf0ftPr4a60TFcuBr4p8V9ud2ue0ndM5q7ZNw%40mail.gmail.com.