harshab054 commented on issue #13297:
URL: https://github.com/apache/maven/issues/13297#issuecomment-5957881799

   Thanks for raising this proposal. I looked through both "apache/maven" and 
"apache/maven-archetype" to understand what would be needed for an 
archetype-based project update workflow.
   
   One prerequisite appears to be tracking the relationship between a generated 
project and the archetype that created it. Currently, "archetype:generate" does 
not persist the originating archetype coordinates/version in the generated 
project, so an automated update workflow would need either persisted metadata 
or explicit baseline information supplied by the user.
   
   For a Copier-like update workflow, I see two main technical pieces:
   
   1. Archetype origin metadata — record the minimum information needed to 
reproduce the original template, while avoiding persistence of credentials, 
tokens, or environment-specific properties.
   2. Template update/merge — generate the original and newer archetype 
versions and merge the template changes with the user's current project, 
surfacing conflicts for manual resolution.
   
   There is also an architectural question about where the update workflow 
should live: as an "archetype:update" goal in "maven-archetype-plugin", or as 
part of Maven 4's existing "mvnup" infrastructure.
   
   I would be interested in maintainer feedback on the preferred architecture 
and metadata approach before starting an implementation. If this direction 
makes sense, I would be happy to investigate/contribute the initial metadata 
groundwork in "apache/maven-archetype".


-- 
This is an automated message from the Apache Git Service.
To respond to the message, please log on to GitHub and use the
URL above to go to the specific comment.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]

For queries about this service, please contact Infrastructure at:
[email protected]

Reply via email to