viirya commented on PR #2635:
URL: https://github.com/apache/iceberg-rust/pull/2635#issuecomment-6003204680

   Thanks for the follow-up! I checked the spec against Java’s `castDefault`. 
Java does reject non-null defaults for nested types, but the [spec explicitly 
permits a non-null struct default 
`{}`](https://iceberg.apache.org/spec/#default-values), with values supplied by 
each child’s defaults.
   
   I’m keeping `FeatureUnsupported` because that valid case is not implemented 
here. I narrowed the TODO to this specific struct-default behavior, rather than 
suggesting arbitrary complex defaults are valid.
   
   The PR description now calls out the behavior change from potentially 
returning incorrect NULLs to reporting an explicit error. I also addressed the 
three inline suggestions.


-- 
This is an automated message from the Apache Git Service.
To respond to the message, please log on to GitHub and use the
URL above to go to the specific comment.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]

For queries about this service, please contact Infrastructure at:
[email protected]


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to