There is a thermal safety setting in the kernel somewhere ... it used to
do this to me when a cpu heatsink came adrift ... but the cpu had to get
quite hot to trigger it (was on an Intel core2) so it was ok until it
tried to do real work ... instant off.

Try monitoring the temperature.  Also, cpu thermal compound/tape can
lose its effectiveness on older PC's as well as the usual dust puppies
blocking cooling etc.  Also, depending on how it is setup, Linux might
be running just enough hotter than windows to trigger it.

BillK