On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> We're starting to drift off topic here, but I've always felt that this
> is something that could be improved on.  I'm not saying that any of
> this should just be thrown together, but some of the following might
> be useful:
>
> 1.  Overlay dependencies (depends on a particular package from a
> particular overlay).

In EAPI 5-progress, there's support for atom::repo deps.

> 2.  Overlay package.* (accept one version of one package from a
> particular overlay, mask all packages in an overlay that aren't
> explicitly unmasked, don't apply package.(un)mask from one overlay to
> packages in another unless the mask references that overlay
> specifically, etc).

These things are all supported by portage, through use of atom::repo
in /etc/portage/package.* (or profile with EAPI 5-progress) and
repo-level configurations in $repo/profiles/package.* (which only
apply to packages from that repo).

> 3.  Repository priority (paludis handles this fairly well I think) -
> where you can control which overlays override which other ones.

Portage also supports priority setting in /etc/portage/repos.conf.

> I've never really liked the all-or-nothing design of overlays as they
> currently stand.

These days, they should be much more flexible than they have been in the past.