Dmitry, thanks so much for sharing; I agree its a great talk to listen to.

> On Sep 23, 2026, at 3:03 PM, Dmitry Konstantinov <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> > Think this couldn't happen to us? Already has: 
> > https://github.com/ferrosadb/ferrosa.
> 
> https://github.com/ferrosadb/ferrosa/blob/main/CONTRIBUTING.md#what-we-dont-accept
>  - it is interesting that even there we have: "What We Don't Accept: Code 
> generated by AI tools without human review and understanding. We're happy for 
> contributors to use AI as an assistant, but the contributor must understand 
> and stand behind every line they submit."
> 
> On Wed, 23 Sept 2026 at 22:35, Dmitry Konstantinov <[email protected] 
> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>> An interesting Linux Kernel Report talk has just come out, and it’s quite 
>> relevant to our discussion: https://www.youtube.com/live/3KAcS05H31Y?t=1242s 
>> 
>> On Wed, 23 Sept 2026 at 22:09, Aleksey Yeshchenko via dev 
>> <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>> This day was bound to come *eventually*, but this does need to be settled.
>>> 
>>> I have a lot of opinions on this subject, like everyone else does (and 
>>> their moms). And none of them are fresh and novel. Just as tired as 
>>> everyone else's.
>>> 
>>> That said, I'll try to compose a proper response with some of the less 
>>> tired ones by the end of the week.
>>> 
>>> In the meantime, I am +1 on this proposal, though my preferred option would 
>>> be to adopt Rust's, which is stricter, more or less as is 
>>> (https://forge.rust-lang.org/policies/llm-usage.html).
>>> 
>>> --
>>> AY
>>> 
>>>> On 23 Sep 2026, at 21:39, Caleb Rackliffe <[email protected] 
>>>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>> > My understanding is that we don’t actually require that any reviews are 
>>>> > performed by committers. Only that two committers +1 a patch, confirming 
>>>> > they believe the relevant standards have been met, which could be via   
>>>> > purely non-committer reviews that they each trust to have done the work.
>>>> 
>>>> That's interesting. My understanding of this has always been that 2 
>>>> committers had to have an understanding of the patch, either via 
>>>> authorship or review (aided by AI or not).
>>>> 
>>>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 2:16 PM Patrick McFadin <[email protected] 
>>>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>>> I was waiting for this moment to hit our project and I'm glad we're here. 
>>>>> I am deeply concerned for our project and its future, as we have 
>>>>> increasingly made it difficult to contribute. I had hoped that this new 
>>>>> era of software tools powered by AI would expand the project's reach and 
>>>>> bring more diverse thoughts and ideas. This policy proposal is the exact 
>>>>> opposite of what we need. We have been sitting on a Cassandra 6 release 
>>>>> alpha for months. We need to accelerate and embrace new ways of being or 
>>>>> be left behind. As I read that policy, my first and gut level reactions:
>>>>> 
>>>>>  - It comes across as elitist and class protectionism. Committer should 
>>>>> not be special but this proposal makes that designation even more sacred. 
>>>>>  - It signals that our project is so fragile that only a few people 
>>>>> "Really understand it" That's some SQLite vibes right there. 
>>>>>  - Trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist
>>>>> 
>>>>> Sadly, i think this policy change would also exclude a lot of comitters. 
>>>>> 
>>>>> We aren't alone in this moment. The Linux project just went through this. 
>>>>> You can find the thread with a simple Google, but similar hard feelings 
>>>>> were being expressed "AI is going to ruin our project!", "The unwashed 
>>>>> masses are going to contribute terrible code!", "We have to protect our 
>>>>> precious status as Linux maintainers!"  Linus being Linus, was deeply 
>>>>> invloved and they adopted a super simple statement that covers all bases. 
>>>>> Human or Human using AI. “You are expected to understand and to be able 
>>>>> to defend everything you submit.”  Love that. 
>>>>> 
>>>>> In the larger picture, I'll restate. I'm worried for our project. In late 
>>>>> 2025(Opus 4.5 IYKYK), early 2026, AI coding LLMs turned a real corner and 
>>>>> in the hands of somebody that knows how to build software, this tool is 
>>>>> like jet fuel. Here's some examples of new projects being hyper fueled by 
>>>>> AI coding tools. 
>>>>> 
>>>>> Apache Iggy - Complete rust replacement of kafka. Crazy fast velocity
>>>>> Turso - Rust re-write of SQLite 
>>>>> Bun - Rust re-write of itself from Zig. 
>>>>> 
>>>>> Think this couldn't happen to us? Already has: 
>>>>> https://github.com/ferrosadb/ferrosa. Ben is using it to power his own 
>>>>> startup, but it was him alone using a ton of local AI coding agents. He 
>>>>> even implemented Accord. Yeah...
>>>>> 
>>>>> The cracks are already starting to show. There is a black market economy 
>>>>> of Cassandra patches happening now. Not going to name names or call 
>>>>> people out,  but there are fixes and optimizations living in branches 
>>>>> outside of the Cassandra project. Why? I'll use myself as an example. I 
>>>>> fixed a nasty bug I ran into with TCM a few weeks ago. Wrote the tests. 
>>>>> It passes CI and lives in my personal branch. I'm sitting here really 
>>>>> wondering if I want to go through the ritual humiliation of being roasted 
>>>>> for using AI to fix it. Me. I am worried about contrinuting code the 
>>>>> Cassandra. What the hell does that say? 
>>>>> 
>>>>> I have my CQLite project that I've been doing a release around once a 
>>>>> month. I would love to donate that to the Cassandra project but I 
>>>>> wouldn't if it essentially killed any progress. 
>>>>> 
>>>>> My larger counter proposal would be to:
>>>>>  - Adopt the “You are expected to understand and to be able to defend 
>>>>> everything you submit.” approach the Linux project has adopted. 
>>>>>  - Loosen up the contributor process and our worry on trunk. Let 1000 
>>>>> flowers bloom and bring it in. 
>>>>>  - And finally, to give some people more peace of mind and open more 
>>>>> doors, adopt what other projects have done and provide more pluggability. 
>>>>> Let new ideas have an easy place to connect. 
>>>>> 
>>>>> We are at a fork in the road. What are we going to do? And then I have to 
>>>>> ask myself, what am I going to do as a contributor?
>>>>> 
>>>>> Patrick
>>>>> 
>>>>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 6:16 AM Blake Eggleston <[email protected] 
>>>>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>>>> I’m not necessarily opposed to having a policy, but so far we have some 
>>>>>> specific proposals addressing a problem statement that’s very nebulous. 
>>>>>> What is the community failing to do on its own that we’re trying to 
>>>>>> correct with policy? What outcomes are we trying to create or prevent? 
>>>>>> Having some examples and specific problems to discuss would help focus 
>>>>>> the conversation.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2026, at 4:34 AM, Shailaja Koppu via dev wrote:
>>>>>>> Benedict,
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Thanks for clarifying. My concern still remains. This criteria would be 
>>>>>>> difficult to define and apply consistently. What counts as “similar” 
>>>>>>> scope or area, “mostly correct,” or sufficiently independent work? More 
>>>>>>> importantly, how do we prevent such vague criteria from creating an 
>>>>>>> informal hierarchy where some contributors work is routinely accepted 
>>>>>>> while others is routinely rejected?
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> If the intent is to limit AI-assisted code changes to Cassandra 
>>>>>>> contributors, or to contributors who have previously worked in that 
>>>>>>> component without AI, that would at least be clear and enforceable.
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> > On Sep 23, 2026, at 12:01 PM, Benedict Elliott Smith 
>>>>>>> > <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>>>>> > 
>>>>>>> > Core code changes
>>>>>>> > Chris: Do you object to the first or second line you quote? Because 
>>>>>>> > the first line is effectively motivation for the second line, and can 
>>>>>>> > be removed (or more clearly combined). If it’s the second line, then 
>>>>>>> > I do not think this is an unreasonable expectation, and we can get 
>>>>>>> > into a proper debate about it.
>>>>>>> > 
>>>>>>> > Shailaja, since you only snipped the first sentence, your concerns 
>>>>>>> > might also be mostly answered by this clarification? “Minimal 
>>>>>>> > third-party guidance” implies you have some concerns about the second 
>>>>>>> > line, but all of our policies have some ambiguity because legalese is 
>>>>>>> > even worse. I don’t think the ambiguity here would be challenging to 
>>>>>>> > navigate though we can certainly refine it. This specific snippet is 
>>>>>>> > meant to convey an expectation that a contributor has autonomously 
>>>>>>> > produced patches of similar scope that were mostly correct, so that 
>>>>>>> > they have demonstrated the level of understanding necessary to guide 
>>>>>>> > another party to a successful patch (i.e. an LLM in this case).
>>>>>>> > 
>>>>>>> > 
>>>>>>> > On 2026/09/23 10:54:16 Benedict Elliott Smith wrote:
>>>>>>> >> Thanks everyone for your input so far. I’ll respond in brief to the 
>>>>>>> >> main themes, in (mostly) separate emails so they can each have their 
>>>>>>> >> own debate chain.
>>>>>>> >> 
>>>>>>> >> Should we have a policy (Blake/Josh*/Jon/Dinesh)
>>>>>>> >> I think we would all agree that LLMs represent the biggest change to 
>>>>>>> >> this community (and software more generally) since its inception, 
>>>>>>> >> and we all now have enough experience with the technology to have 
>>>>>>> >> formed opinions about how it is best managed. We also evidently have 
>>>>>>> >> not all arrived at the same conclusions. In this situation, it would 
>>>>>>> >> be an abdication of our responsibilities as a management committee 
>>>>>>> >> to not agree *some* policy.
>>>>>>> >> 
>>>>>>> >> I intend to conduct straw polls as the discussion evolves, so if you 
>>>>>>> >> prefer an alternative policy - or modifications to this policy - I 
>>>>>>> >> would encourage you to make those alternative proposals.
>>>>>>> >> 
>>>>>>> >> *Veto/Consensus (Josh)
>>>>>>> >> It was fair to call out my poor use of language on this topic, so 
>>>>>>> >> let me rephrase a little. The community is built on consensus, and 
>>>>>>> >> work should not be merged when there are outstanding concerns to 
>>>>>>> >> address. The explicit -1 should only be used rarely, because the 
>>>>>>> >> prior expectation should prevent it ever being needed. I (and 
>>>>>>> >> others) have outstanding concerns on LLM generated work that can 
>>>>>>> >> only be addressed through this process right here, so to merge such 
>>>>>>> >> work while maintaining the community’s consensus we must agree some 
>>>>>>> >> policy.
>>>>>>> >> 
>>>>>>> >> 
>>>>>>> >> 
>>>>>>> >> On 2026/09/23 09:58:27 Shailaja Koppu via dev wrote:
>>>>>>> >>> I am strongly -1 on this
>>>>>>> >>> - Core code changes made by LLM may only be proposed by 
>>>>>>> >>> contributors with demonstrated expertise
>>>>>>> >>> That creates a new, subjective privileged class of contributors and 
>>>>>>> >>> turns a tool choice into an eligibility test. Who decides whether 
>>>>>>> >>> expertise has been “demonstrated,” what counts as “minimal 
>>>>>>> >>> third-party guidance,” and how could those judgments be applied 
>>>>>>> >>> consistently or fairly?
>>>>>>> >>> 
>>>>>>> >>> Apache already has a better model, anyone may contribute, trust and 
>>>>>>> >>> additional repository privileges are earned transparently over 
>>>>>>> >>> time. The ASF describes its communities as flat, and says that 
>>>>>>> >>> newcomer ideas have as much input as those from original creators. 
>>>>>>> >>> We should not add a separate, informal hierarchy in which certain 
>>>>>>> >>> people may use common development tools while others may not.
>>>>>>> >>> 
>>>>>>> >>> 
>>>>>>> >>> 
>>>>>>> >>> 
>>>>>>> >>>> On Sep 23, 2026, at 6:33 AM, Chris Lohfink <[email protected] 
>>>>>>> >>>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>>>>> >>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>> - Core code changes made by LLM may only be proposed by 
>>>>>>> >>>> contributors with demonstrated expertise
>>>>>>> >>>>   - Must have produced similar patches in size, scope and area 
>>>>>>> >>>> unassisted and with minimal third-party guidance
>>>>>>> >>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>> I really don't like this one or its wording. Definitely too "the 
>>>>>>> >>>> peasants are getting uppity lets build a wall". Lets not let a 
>>>>>>> >>>> subjective thing like demonstrated expertise (who decides that?) 
>>>>>>> >>>> be if it's ok or not. Hold the same standards for code quality and 
>>>>>>> >>>> process for it all. I don't want this to be: only people on the 
>>>>>>> >>>> storage team in Apple can use AI.
>>>>>>> >>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>> Chris
>>>>>>> >>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 12:16 AM <[email protected] 
>>>>>>> >>>> <mailto:[email protected]> <mailto:[email protected] 
>>>>>>> >>>> <mailto:[email protected]>>> wrote:
>>>>>>> >>>>> I agree with Stefan and think this is both a reasonable and 
>>>>>>> >>>>> thoughtful proposal.
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> Here are some things I like about it:
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> – It outlines areas where LLM usage is unambiguously useful to 
>>>>>>> >>>>> the project’s developers and users.
>>>>>>> >>>>> – It defines a spectrum of recommendations and cautions.
>>>>>>> >>>>> – The only prohibited areas are extremely narrow and say nothing 
>>>>>>> >>>>> about code at all.
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> Some in this thread are responding as if this proposal seeks to 
>>>>>>> >>>>> prohibit or sharply limit use of LLMs. In fact, it’s one of the 
>>>>>>> >>>>> most open and welcoming I’ve seen for an OSS project of our size 
>>>>>>> >>>>> where many are adopting policies that simply ban them entirely. 
>>>>>>> >>>>> I’ve re-appended the proposal below my message as it seems to 
>>>>>>> >>>>> have been lost in threaded replies, and would encourage folks to 
>>>>>>> >>>>> give it a second read.
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> Some brief thoughts based on my own use of LLMs:
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> – I find them fantastically useful for reviewing and identifying 
>>>>>>> >>>>> problems that have slipped through review - primarily via Alex 
>>>>>>> >>>>> Petrov’s /deep-review skill, which I have running in a VM in a 
>>>>>>> >>>>> loop executing over every new commit in the project as of a few 
>>>>>>> >>>>> days ago. I will be posting a few hand-authored Jira tickets 
>>>>>>> >>>>> based on findings that appear legitimate to me. For now, the loop 
>>>>>>> >>>>> is posting them as issue drafts for my own review on my personal 
>>>>>>> >>>>> fork which you can find here: 
>>>>>>> >>>>> https://github.com/cscotta/cassandra/issues?q=is%3Aissue%20state%3Aopen%20label%3Abug
>>>>>>> >>>>> – They’re great for enabling use of model checkers and formal 
>>>>>>> >>>>> methods where such work would have previously been prohibitively 
>>>>>>> >>>>> expensive, such as Blake’s work on a TLA+ proof of aspects of 
>>>>>>> >>>>> Mutation Tracking and Benedict/Fedor’s work on a 
>>>>>>> >>>>> machine-checkable proof of the Accord protocol in Lean.
>>>>>>> >>>>> – They are stunning for allowing me to experiment with ideas that 
>>>>>>> >>>>> would have otherwise been a summer internship’s scope of work. 
>>>>>>> >>>>> Some examples include an io_uring prototype, exploring the impact 
>>>>>>> >>>>> of page-aligned compressed chunk sizes, an API shim bridging the 
>>>>>>> >>>>> 3.x and 4.x Java Drivers, and potential enhancements to Zstandard.
>>>>>>> >>>>> – And they shine when given grunt-work that is critical to the 
>>>>>>> >>>>> project but a miserable labor for humans, such as triaging, 
>>>>>>> >>>>> reproducing, and root-causing flaky tests, which David Capwell 
>>>>>>> >>>>> now has running in a loop to help us improve CI stability in the 
>>>>>>> >>>>> project.
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> I never thought I’d be so positive on what’s possible via 
>>>>>>> >>>>> language models a year ago. At the same time, I also agree that 
>>>>>>> >>>>> they present challenges and risks that can be managed through 
>>>>>>> >>>>> thoughtful discussion and policy. Some of the concerns that I 
>>>>>>> >>>>> think are important to guard against include:
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> – Asymmetry of effort between author and reviewers: As 
>>>>>>> >>>>> token-generating machines, LLMs can generate diffs of 
>>>>>>> >>>>> extraordinary size very rapidly. /deep-review is great for 
>>>>>>> >>>>> chewing through diffs and identifying defects. But it should be 
>>>>>>> >>>>> used by the contributor themselves to identify issues – not to 
>>>>>>> >>>>> replace the role of the reviewer with more electricity. The role 
>>>>>>> >>>>> of the reviewers extends beyond identifying and highlighting 
>>>>>>> >>>>> defects. It encompasses architecture, harmony with the existing 
>>>>>>> >>>>> codebase, thinking ahead to future evolution of the project, and 
>>>>>>> >>>>> replicates context on the project as new code is committed. These 
>>>>>>> >>>>> functions cannot be automated away.
>>>>>>> >>>>> – Hesitancy of authors to engage manually with code they have 
>>>>>>> >>>>> generated: This is not specific to Cassandra, but it is a 
>>>>>>> >>>>> behavior that I have seen in several “highly-electric” projects. 
>>>>>>> >>>>> There’s a bimodal tendency toward code that is entirely generated 
>>>>>>> >>>>> or entirely human-authored - but it is rare for someone to 
>>>>>>> >>>>> prepare an AI-authored patch to take an offramp and spend a 
>>>>>>> >>>>> significant amount of time refining the work by hand in an IDE. 
>>>>>>> >>>>> This hesitancy toward human participation in authorship of 
>>>>>>> >>>>> LLM-generated code is very concerning to me.
>>>>>>> >>>>> – Harmony with the existing codebase: Due to the tunnel-vision of 
>>>>>>> >>>>> context windows, LLMs are generally unaware of conventions and 
>>>>>>> >>>>> norms present in codebases and very frequently reinvent concepts 
>>>>>>> >>>>> in a generation turn to suit a goal without view of the project’s 
>>>>>>> >>>>> overall architecture. This results in a profusion of messy and 
>>>>>>> >>>>> duplicated concepts that gradually sprawl about a codebase.
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> Again, none of these are grounds for prohibition of usage of 
>>>>>>> >>>>> language models in developing the project. They’re just problems 
>>>>>>> >>>>> we need to bear in mind and guard against – and I think the 
>>>>>>> >>>>> proposal is designed to do just that.
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> I’m thrilled by the potential of LLMs to improve Apache Cassandra 
>>>>>>> >>>>> and we already see it happening through a vast number of issues 
>>>>>>> >>>>> that are being reported and fixed. But there’s also danger in 
>>>>>>> >>>>> taking ATVs down a hiking trail full of people.
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> Regarding the prohibition on prose, I’ll simply say: I recently 
>>>>>>> >>>>> found myself in a scenario where I found a Claude-authored 
>>>>>>> >>>>> document so inscrutable that I piped it back into a model, 
>>>>>>> >>>>> directed it to rewrite it in ASD-STE100, read it myself, and 
>>>>>>> >>>>> responded based on the summarization. As a humanities grad, this 
>>>>>>> >>>>> is probably the worst language crime I have committed. But it was 
>>>>>>> >>>>> in response to language that was itself so idiosyncratic that it 
>>>>>>> >>>>> was unreadable to me in its original form. I hope this never 
>>>>>>> >>>>> happens in the Apache Cassandra project.
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> I’ll close with a quote from an excellent article written by 
>>>>>>> >>>>> Colin Breck, an engineer who works on large-scale data systems: 
>>>>>>> >>>>> https://blog.colinbreck.com/i-dont-want-to-read-what-you-didnt-write/
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> Colin wrote:
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> I don’t want to live in a world where you use AI to summarize 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> something important into unreadable text, and then I use AI in 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> an attempt to decipher it. I want to hear you, imperfections and 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> all. I want your interpretation of aesthetics, beauty, quality, 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> relationship, time. I want to know how you feel. I want you to 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> cut through and tell me what really matters.
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> Intentional writing will likely become more valuable. People who 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> write, and write to think, to think deeply and carefully, or to 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> create, to share, or to capture something important without 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> explicitly expressing it will continue to write and produce 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> original work. The people who never were writers will use AI to 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> produce lots of text.
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> I hope that our culture can remain one of intentional writing and 
>>>>>>> >>>>> intentional engineering. I enjoy reading the voice of the author 
>>>>>>> >>>>> in comments, code, and tickets in Cassandra – the different ways 
>>>>>>> >>>>> we use language based on where we grew up and how we learned 
>>>>>>> >>>>> English, the translated idioms from our various backgrounds, and 
>>>>>>> >>>>> terse comments that recognize the difference between code whose 
>>>>>>> >>>>> function is obvious and what warrants genuine exposition. When I 
>>>>>>> >>>>> read code in Cassandra, it’s a delight to recognize the author 
>>>>>>> >>>>> based on their writing style before flipping on `git annotate` to 
>>>>>>> >>>>> reveal the origin.
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> I’d encourage folks to re-read the original proposal below. It is 
>>>>>>> >>>>> very permissive. The guidance strikes me not just as reasonable, 
>>>>>>> >>>>> but genuinely important to maintaining the health of the project.
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> – Scott
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> =====
>>>>>>> >>>>> Encouraged:
>>>>>>> >>>>> - Reviewing and otherwise validating human-authored patches 
>>>>>>> >>>>> before submission
>>>>>>> >>>>> - Debugging, diagnosing etc
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> Permitted:
>>>>>>> >>>>> - Generating or modifying tests, scripts, tooling or any other 
>>>>>>> >>>>> non-user facing changes
>>>>>>> >>>>> - Minor changes to human-authored patches that are carefully 
>>>>>>> >>>>> reviewed by the author
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> Restricted:
>>>>>>> >>>>> - Core code changes made by LLM may only be proposed by 
>>>>>>> >>>>> contributors with demonstrated expertise
>>>>>>> >>>>>   - Must have produced similar patches in size, scope and area 
>>>>>>> >>>>> unassisted and with minimal third-party guidance
>>>>>>> >>>>> - Core code changes made by LLM require an additional reviewer
>>>>>>> >>>>> - LLM review is not a substitute for human review, and must be 
>>>>>>> >>>>> used only to augment a complete and independent human 
>>>>>>> >>>>> understanding of the patch.
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> Prohibited:
>>>>>>> >>>>> - All public prose must be human authored. This includes inline 
>>>>>>> >>>>> comments, docs, posts to Jira etc.
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> All LLM generated changes MUST be disclosed:
>>>>>>> >>>>> - Outlined to any reviewer;
>>>>>>> >>>>> - Summarised in the commit message;
>>>>>>> >>>>> - Large blocks or files must be individually marked with some 
>>>>>>> >>>>> agreed message like "created by <some AI>"
>>>>>>> >>>>> =====
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> On Sep 22, 2026, at 9:13 PM, Dinesh Joshi <[email protected] 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> <mailto:[email protected]> <mailto:[email protected] 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> <mailto:[email protected]>>> wrote:
>>>>>>> >>>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> On Tue, Sep 22, 2026 at 3:28 AM Benedict <[email protected] 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> <mailto:[email protected]> <mailto:[email protected] 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> <mailto:[email protected]>>> wrote:
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> Restricted:
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> - Core code changes made by LLM may only be proposed by 
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> contributors with demonstrated expertise
>>>>>>> >>>>>>>    - Must have produced similar patches in size, scope and area 
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> unassisted and with minimal third-party guidance
>>>>>>> >>>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> I am -1 on this. This sounds like gate keeping attempt. It 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> narrowly limits the pool to a few people on the project that 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> have historically contributed to certain parts of the codebase. 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> This policy will prohibit skilled software engineers with domain 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> expertise from proposing LLM assisted changes simply because 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> they have not contributed to the project. This is unrealistic 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> and a net negative for the project to attract talent and grow 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> our community.
>>>>>>> >>>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> - Core code changes made by LLM require an additional reviewer
>>>>>>> >>>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> Can you be more precise what is this in addition to? How many 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> total reviewers do you expect and what is the purpose of 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> additional reviewer? and why?
>>>>>>> >>>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> Taking a step back - what are you trying to solve here?
>>>>>>> >>>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>>> Dinesh
>>>>>>> >>>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>>>> 
>>>>>>> >>> 
>>>>>>> >>> 
>>>>>>> >> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> --
>> Dmitry Konstantinov
> 
> 
> 
> --
> Dmitry Konstantinov

Reply via email to