Am 30.09.26 um 17:43 schrieb James H. H. Lampert via users:
On 9/29/26 11:45 PM, Olaf Kock wrote:
. . .
I'll have to say: I'm in favor of some way of removing the default apps
. . .
We do that every time we update Tomcat on a customer box, before we
even start the new Tomcat. Now understand, this is the procedure for
an IBM Midrange box, in which Tomcat lives entirely in a single
directory, but be that as it may:
I did it a similar way when I was installing my own tomcat - under
ArchLinux it was a first to use the packaged installation, expecting it
to be updated with the regular OS updates, and it is. With the one
caveat that the default webapps are coming with every update and
overwrite my installed app that I've deployed as ROOT.
I'm aware that the manager app is not required, personally I haven't
used it in >15 years, but I had the impression that it is quite popular
in some circles. That's why I've mentioned it, preempting the need for
someone to protest. Given the odds to pick the same name for a custom
app, the odds for ROOT are certainly orders of magnitude above something
called "manager" or even "docs". And tomcat's default ROOT has no real
business value other than providing a home page, no code that anybody
could rely on, and a big chance to conflict with a custom app.
All of this is unnecessary when the proper deployment steps are in
place, and they're well documented in Tomcat's docs.
But it'd help tremendously to do the right thing from the start, not
only after getting hit with disaster for the first time...
And I can tell you: Just using the OS's built-in tomcat, that gets
updated automatically, is quite a nice experience in general. The only
time it wasn't was recently when there was a regression with jsvc...
Olaf
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]