Perfect, Thank you Mark! 

Thanks for taking this to dev@. Happy to test a patch against my chain whenever 
there's something to try.

Kind regards

Peter


> Am 22.09.2026 um 13:35 schrieb Mark Thomas <[email protected]>:
> 
>> On 21/09/2026 12:55, [email protected] wrote:
>> Hi Mark,
>> I've been away for the weekend. So forgive me my late reply.
>> Answers below
>>>>> Am 17.09.2026 um 16:26 schrieb Mark Thomas <[email protected]>:
>>> 
>>>> On 17/09/2026 12:44, [email protected] wrote:
>>>> Hi Mark,
>>>> before I look into the details I want to note that the existing 
>>>> certificate chain validates with OCSP in JSSE just fine (my other tomcat 
>>>> connector uses JSSE). Is this what you meant with my description? If this 
>>>> is how JSSE works, is there a security issue too?
>>> 
>>> Interesting. Which version of Java and which vendor? I looked at the latest 
>>> OpenJDK code but I didn't run any tests so I might have missed something.
>> JVM Version:    11.0.32+9
>> JVM Vendor:     Eclipse Adoptium
>>>> I agree that it would be best to add revocation info to the intermediate, 
>>>> but this is nothing that can be done in a minute. I doubt that a central 
>>>> OCSP responder will change anything in this case - there is no revocation 
>>>> handling for the intermediate...
>>>> Would a change in this be against an existing CVE? The case of missing AIA 
>>>> within the chain is not an issue of tomcat but of the certificate provider 
>>>> (me), right?
>>> 
>>> If I am reading the Java code correctly and the information I read online 
>>> is accurate (never certain) then yes, I would say this isn;t a Tomcat issue.
>>> 
>> I have started Tomcat with
>>  -Dcom.sun.net.ssl.checkRevocation=true 
>> -Djava.security.properties=/opt/apache-tomcat.base/conf/java.security.ocsp.add
>> with ocsp.enable=true in the properties file.
>> Adding -Djava.security.debug=certpath,ocsp gave the following logs:
>> certpath: anchor.getTrustedCert().getSubjectX500Principal() =
>>           CN=logo Intermediate CA 2025, OU=logo, O=logo, ST=Hessen, C=DE
>> certpath: Executing PKIX certification path validation algorithm.
>> certpath: Checking cert1 - Subject: CN=Test Client Cert, OU=logo, ...
>> certpath: -Using checker7 ... [RevocationChecker]
>> certpath: RevocationChecker.check: checking cert
>>    SN:     1d4eb2a9 aaae4d7e xxxxxx 2c76fd2b
>>    Subject: CN=Test Client Cert, ...
>>    Issuer:  CN=logo Intermediate CA 2025, ...
>> certpath: connecting to OCSP service at: http://ocsp.fritz.box:8889
>> certpath: OCSP response status: SUCCESSFUL
>> certpath: Status of certificate (with serial number 389xxxx486...) is: GOOD
>> certpath: OCSP response is signed by an Authorized Responder
>> certpath: -checker7 validation succeeded
>> certpath: Cert path validation succeeded. (PKIX validation algorithm)
>> There was only this one OCSP request to the leaf.
>> Note: the java truststore contains the full chain, otherwise Tomcat can't 
>> serve the complete server-cert chain, so removing the intermediate isn't an 
>> option here.
> 
> That is the difference. Including the intermediate cert in the trust store 
> means that cert is treated as a trust anchor by JSSE so no OCSP validation is 
> performed.
> 
> The Tomcat Native OCSP checks only terminate for a root CA. That could be 
> changed to terminate for any certificate in the trust store. I'll start a 
> discussion about that on the dev@ list.
> 
> Mark
> 
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to