On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 11:29 AM Christopher Schultz <
ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Kaushal,
>
> On 8/7/23 22:23, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have gone through
> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-10.0-doc/ssl-howto.html.
> > Is there a way to enable two way SSL (mutual) in Apache Tomcat 10 Version
> > 10.0.27?
> >
> > Please guide me.
> >
> > Thanks in Advance.
>
> I see you have "gone through" the SSL Howto, but could you be specific
> about what you have actually done? For example, what does your
> <Connector> in server.xml look like, what does your web.xml look like,
> and what files do you have on the disk?
>
> -chris

Hi Chris,

Apologies for the delay in replying. Thanks in advance. I am trying to
enable Mutual two way SSL using tomcat 10.0.27 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux
release 8.8 (Ootpa). Currently I am encountering the below issue.

20-Aug-2023 06:40:25.183 SEVERE [main]
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.handleSubClassException Failed to
initialize component [Connector[HTTP/1.1-10443]]
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Protocol handler initialization
failed

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No SSLHostConfig element was
found with the hostName [_default_] to match the defaultSSLHostConfigName
for the connector [https-openssl-nio-10443]

#cat /etc/redhat-release

*Red Hat Enterprise Linux release 8.8 (Ootpa)*
# /opt/tomcat10/bin/version.sh
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/tomcat10
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /opt/tomcat10
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/tomcat10/temp
Using JRE_HOME:        /usr
Using CLASSPATH:
/opt/tomcat10/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/tomcat10/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Using CATALINA_OPTS:
Server version: Apache Tomcat/10.0.27
Server built:   Oct 3 2022 14:18:31 UTC
Server number:  10.0.27.0
OS Name:        Linux
OS Version:     4.18.0-477.15.1.el8_8.x86_64
Architecture:   amd64
JVM Version:    1.8.0_382-b05
JVM Vendor:     Red Hat, Inc.
#

#*cat catalina.out*
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.753 WARNING [main]
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin Match
[Server/Service/Connector] failed to set property [clientAuth] to [want]
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.756 WARNING [main]
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin Match
[Server/Service/Connector] failed to set property [sslProtocol] to [TLS]
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.756 WARNING [main]
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin Match
[Server/Service/Connector] failed to set property [keystoreFile] to
[/opt/tomcat10/ssl/keystore.jks]
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.756 WARNING [main]
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin Match
[Server/Service/Connector] failed to set property [keystorePass] to [apigee]
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.757 WARNING [main]
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin Match
[Server/Service/Connector] failed to set property [truststoreFile] to
[/opt/tomcat10/ssl/clienttrustore.jks]
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.757 WARNING [main]
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin Match
[Server/Service/Connector] failed to set property [truststorePass] to
[apigee]
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.809 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Server version name:
  Apache Tomcat/10.0.27
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.809 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Server built:
 Oct 3 2022 14:18:31 UTC
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.809 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Server version
number: 10.0.27.0
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.809 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log OS Name:
  Linux
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.810 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log OS Version:
 4.18.0-477.15.1.el8_8.x86_64
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.810 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Architecture:
 amd64
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.810 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Java Home:
  /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.382.b05-2.el8.x86_64/jre
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.810 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log JVM Version:
  1.8.0_382-b05
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.810 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log JVM Vendor:
 Red Hat, Inc.
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.810 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log CATALINA_BASE:
  /opt/tomcat10
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.810 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log CATALINA_HOME:
  /opt/tomcat10
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.811 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument:
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/tomcat10/conf/logging.properties
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.811 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.811 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Djdk.tls.ephemeralDHKeySize=2048
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.811 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=org.apache.catalina.webresources
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.811 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Dorg.apache.catalina.security.SecurityListener.UMASK=0027
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.811 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Dignore.endorsed.dirs=
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.811 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Dcatalina.base=/opt/tomcat10
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.811 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Dcatalina.home=/opt/tomcat10
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.811 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Djava.io.tmpdir=/opt/tomcat10/temp
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.816 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent Loaded Apache
Tomcat Native library [1.2.35] using APR version [1.6.3].
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.817 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent APR
capabilities: IPv6 [true], sendfile [true], accept filters [false], random
[true], UDS [true].
20-Aug-2023 06:40:24.819 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.initializeSSL OpenSSL
successfully initialized [OpenSSL 1.1.1k  FIPS 25 Mar 2021]
20-Aug-2023 06:40:25.161 INFO [main]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init Initializing ProtocolHandler
["http-nio-8080"]
20-Aug-2023 06:40:25.181 INFO [main]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init Initializing ProtocolHandler
["https-openssl-nio-10443"]
20-Aug-2023 06:40:25.183 SEVERE [main]
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.handleSubClassException Failed to
initialize component [Connector[HTTP/1.1-10443]]
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Protocol handler initialization
failed
at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.initInternal(Connector.java:1055)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.init(LifecycleBase.java:136)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initInternal(StandardService.java:556)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.init(LifecycleBase.java:136)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initInternal(StandardServer.java:1045)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.init(LifecycleBase.java:136)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:747)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:769)
at
at
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.load(Bootstrap.java:305)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:475)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No SSLHostConfig element was
found with the hostName [_default_] to match the defaultSSLHostConfigName
for the connector [https-openssl-nio-10443]
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractJsseEndpoint.initialiseSsl(AbstractJsseEndpoint.java:76)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint.bind(NioEndpoint.java:206)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint.bindWithCleanup(AbstractEndpoint.java:1192)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint.init(AbstractEndpoint.java:1205)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init(AbstractProtocol.java:583)
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Protocol.init(AbstractHttp11Protocol.java:79)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.initInternal(Connector.java:1052)
... 13 more
20-Aug-2023 06:40:25.184 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load Server initialization in [567]
milliseconds
20-Aug-2023 06:40:25.213 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal Starting service
[Catalina]
20-Aug-2023 06:40:25.213 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.startInternal Starting Servlet
engine: [Apache Tomcat/10.0.27]
20-Aug-2023 06:40:25.222 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deploying web
application directory [/opt/tomcat10/webapps/docs]
20-Aug-2023 06:40:25.489 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment of web
application directory [/opt/tomcat10/webapps/docs] has finished in [267] ms
20-Aug-2023 06:40:25.490 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deploying web
application directory [/opt/tomcat10/webapps/examples]
20-Aug-2023 06:40:25.677 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment of web
application directory [/opt/tomcat10/webapps/examples] has finished in
[186] ms
20-Aug-2023 06:40:25.677 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deploying web
application directory [/opt/tomcat10/webapps/host-manager]
20-Aug-2023 06:40:25.696 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment of web
application directory [/opt/tomcat10/webapps/host-manager] has finished in
[19] ms
20-Aug-2023 06:40:25.696 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deploying web
application directory [/opt/tomcat10/webapps/ROOT]
20-Aug-2023 06:40:25.707 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment of web
application directory [/opt/tomcat10/webapps/ROOT] has finished in [11] ms
20-Aug-2023 06:40:25.707 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deploying web
application directory [/opt/tomcat10/webapps/manager]
20-Aug-2023 06:40:25.722 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment of web
application directory [/opt/tomcat10/webapps/manager] has finished in [15]
ms
20-Aug-2023 06:40:25.726 INFO [main]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler
["http-nio-8080"]
20-Aug-2023 06:40:25.745 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start Server startup in [561]
milliseconds

*cat /opt/tomcat10/conf/server.xml*

 <Connector port="10443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
                clientAuth="want" sslProtocol="TLS"
                keystoreFile="/opt/tomcat10/ssl/keystore.jks"
                keystorePass="apigee"
                truststoreFile="/opt/tomcat10/ssl/clienttrustore.jks"
                truststorePass="apigee" />

I am attaching the server.xml for your reference. Please comment. Thanks in
advance.

Best Regards,

Kaushal
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--
  contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
  The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
  (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
  the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

  limitations under the License.
-->
<!-- Note:  A "Server" is not itself a "Container", so you may not
     define subcomponents such as "Valves" at this level.
     Documentation at /docs/config/server.html
 -->
<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener" />
  <!-- Security listener. Documentation at /docs/config/listeners.html
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityListener" />
  -->
  <!-- APR library loader. Documentation at /docs/apr.html -->
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener" SSLEngine="on" />
  <!-- Prevent memory leaks due to use of particular java/javax APIs-->
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener" />
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener" />
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.ThreadLocalLeakPreventionListener" />

  <!-- Global JNDI resources
       Documentation at /docs/jndi-resources-howto.html
  -->
  <GlobalNamingResources>
    <!-- Editable user database that can also be used by
         UserDatabaseRealm to authenticate users
    -->
              type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
              pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" />
  </GlobalNamingResources>

  <!-- A "Service" is a collection of one or more "Connectors" that share
       a single "Container" Note:  A "Service" is not itself a "Container",
       so you may not define subcomponents such as "Valves" at this level.
       Documentation at /docs/config/service.html
   -->
  <Service name="Catalina">

    <!--The connectors can use a shared executor, you can define one or more named thread pools-->
    <!--
    <Executor name="tomcatThreadPool" namePrefix="catalina-exec-"
        maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="4"/>
    -->

    <!-- A "Connector" represents an endpoint by which requests are received
         and responses are returned. Documentation at :
         HTTP Connector: /docs/config/http.html
         AJP  Connector: /docs/config/ajp.html
         Define a non-SSL/TLS HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080
    -->
    <Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               redirectPort="8443" />
    <!-- A "Connector" using the shared thread pool-->
    <!--
    <Connector executor="tomcatThreadPool"
               port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               redirectPort="8443" />
    -->
    <!-- Define an SSL/TLS HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 with HTTP/2
         This connector uses the NIO implementation. The default
         SSLImplementation will depend on the presence of the APR/native
         library and the useOpenSSL attribute of the AprLifecycleListener.
         Either JSSE or OpenSSL style configuration may be used regardless of
         the SSLImplementation selected. JSSE style configuration is used below.
    -->
   <!--
    <Connector port="10443" protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
	    maxThreads="150" SSLEnabled="true" scheme="https" secure="true" defaultSSLHostConfigName="microservices">
	    <UpgradeProtocol className="org.apache.coyote.http2.Http2Protocol" />
	    <SSLHostConfig hostName="microservices" protocols="TLSv1.2" certificateVerification="required">
            <Certificate
                certificateFile="/opt/tomcat10/ssl/keystore.jks"
		certificateKeyPassword="apigee"
		type="RSA"
            />
        </SSLHostConfig>
</Connector>
    -->

    <Connector port="10443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
		clientAuth="want" sslProtocol="TLS"
		keystoreFile="/opt/tomcat10/ssl/keystore.jks"
		keystorePass="apigee"
		truststoreFile="/opt/tomcat10/ssl/clienttrustore.jks"
		truststorePass="apigee" />
    <!--
    <Connector protocol="AJP/1.3"
               address="::1"
               port="8009"
               redirectPort="8443" />
    -->

    <!-- An Engine represents the entry point (within Catalina) that processes
         every request.  The Engine implementation for Tomcat stand alone
         analyzes the HTTP headers included with the request, and passes them
         on to the appropriate Host (virtual host).
         Documentation at /docs/config/engine.html -->

    <!-- You should set jvmRoute to support load-balancing via AJP ie :
    <Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost" jvmRoute="jvm1">
    -->

      <!--For clustering, please take a look at documentation at:
          /docs/cluster-howto.html  (simple how to)
          /docs/config/cluster.html (reference documentation) -->
      <!--
      <Cluster className="org.apache.catalina.ha.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"/>
      -->

      <!-- Use the LockOutRealm to prevent attempts to guess user passwords
           via a brute-force attack -->
      <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.LockOutRealm">
        <!-- This Realm uses the UserDatabase configured in the global JNDI
             resources under the key "UserDatabase".  Any edits
             that are performed against this UserDatabase are immediately
             available for use by the Realm.  -->
               resourceName="UserDatabase"/>
      </Realm>

      <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
            unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">

        <!-- SingleSignOn valve, share authentication between web applications
             Documentation at: /docs/config/valve.html -->
        <!--
        <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn" />
        -->

        <!-- Access log processes all example.
             Documentation at: /docs/config/valve.html
             Note: The pattern used is equivalent to using pattern="common" -->
        <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve" directory="logs"
               prefix="localhost_access_log" suffix=".txt"
               pattern="%h %l %u %t &quot;%r&quot; %s %b" />

      </Host>
    </Engine>
  </Service>
</Server>