Guys,

I feel we're digressing again.

Lets keep the focus on the main thing: (my quote but this how I feel about the
project since it began back in the day)

                "To create, maintain and develop the best open source community
Chess Database tool in the world!"

If we can somehow agree with some or all that sentence then at least we have a
starting point.

I believe whole heartedly that everyone in this group wants his project(s) to
go forward in order for this to happen we must first of all come to a consensus
on how primary we organize our efforts.

On this note I'd like to introduce and submit for consideration some commercial
processes/structure to this community.

Steps:

Structure:

We need to establish a clear structure of who does what and how. This included
leads!
However, there needs to be a few leads otherwise it becomes more of single
man's vision opposed to a community one, which in itself generates all sorts of
"challenges".

So ... I propose.

Plan Lead/Team:

Makes the release plan and development plan and monitors development based on
realistic goals and objectives.
Obtains project requirements (this particularly important given how many ideas
we have bouncing around) from the community and leases with build for
feasibility.
There other things in here, but the last 2 sentences encompass the bulk of it...

Technical Lead/Team:

The heart of the project, the developers, the magicians! :)
Coordinating with plan, focusing solely on development & bugs, in charge of
alpha & betas releases.
Final word on technical resource availability.

Service Lead/Team:

Monitoring bugs, submitting queries and "problems" to build.
Assuring pending issues are address before release of further versions (this is
particularly important, in regards to project consistency)

In terms of direction, all 3 "departments" would meet regularly and have a say
so where the project is going, how it's doing, assess the challenges, etc.

N.B.: This is a very HIGH level overview of something that can exist in this
project.

The merger: the way I see it, once we've established the direction and the
team, the merger would just be the next "release" with all the decision made by
all 3 departments addressed.

The bottom line is, we can continue to argue amongst ourselves forever, with
every have they're merits and points of view, but in my eyes I think the "chess
world" and to an extent ourselves would do better to try and set our
differences aside and become "one" :)

I have deliberately not approached the technical challenges that have been
presented, purely because once the "main" issue is addressed everything else
can be resolved.

Final note, it's Monday... and despite my best efforts for some reason the
coffee is flowing through me as it should! So bear this in mind before you hit
me with a stick for proposing such ideas! :)

Best Regards,

This e-mail has been sent from Co-operative Group Limited, an industrial and
provident
society or from one of its subsidiaries which include Somerfield Stores
Limited.  To the
extent that this e-mail relates to the supply of groceries to Co-operative
Group Limited
or Somerfield Stores Limited it is sent subject to the Co-operative Group’s
Standard
Terms of Supply of Groceries (version G040210 accessible at www.crtg.coop).

If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please preserve the
confidentiality of
it and advise the sender immediately of any error in transmission.  Any
disclosure, copying,
distribution or action taken, or omitted to be taken, by an unauthorised
recipient in reliance
upon the contents of this e-mail is prohibited.  Co-operative cannot accept
liability for any
damage which you may sustain as a result of software viruses so please carry
out your own
virus checks before opening an attachment.  In replying to this e-mail you are
granting the
right for that reply to be forwarded to any other individual within the
Co-operative business
and also to be read by others.  Any view expressed by an individual within this
message does
not necessarily reflect the views of Co-operative.  Co-operative reserves the
right to intercept,
monitor and record communications for lawful business purposes.

Co-operative Group Limited, registered in England (No 525R)
Somerfield Stores Limited, registered in England (No 623166)

Registered Office: 1 Angel Square, Manchester, M60 0AG