Hi, David et al,

On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 11:39 PM David G. Johnston
<david.g.johns...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 9:17 PM Igor Korot <ikoro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, guys,
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 1:27 PM Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pg...@hjp.at> wrote:
>> >
>> > On 2020-10-19 20:21:05 +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>>
>> > In case this isn't clear:
>> >
>> > It is the server (or more specifically, the foreign data wrapper) which
>> > opens that connection. To the client it looks like it's just accessing a
>> > normal table within the same database.
>>
>> Sorry for resurrecting this old thread...
>

> Then why did you do it?  You couldn't send a new email without copying
> possibly no longer interested people and with better thought out
> self-contained content that simply notes you are somehow using an FDW.
>

>> If an attaching the DB creates new connection which will be cmpletely
>> independent - how the INFORMATION_SCHEMA.table@table_catalog
>> field is handled.
>>
>> Lets say I open connection to the DB (finance) and then attached another DB
>> (finance_2021).
>>
>> So, when I call SELECT table_schema, table_name FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.table
>

> Call this how exactly? There are three information_schema instances that you
> can be talking about, though only the one in the local database is going to
> be called that.  If you are dealing with FDWs you would have to have
> different names involved.
>

>> I will get all tables from (finance) DB only.
>> And to get all tables from (finance_2021) I need to make this catalog current
>> and reissue the query.
>>
>> Am I right?
>

> Do it and find out?  Then if still confused, show what you attempted.  But I
> don't know what this concept of "make the catalog current" you speak of comes
> from.  That isn't a thing that I am aware of.  Where do you see this
> documented?

Making catalog current means switching between DBs.
Remember initially I connected to (finance) DB, which made the (finance) catalog
current.
Then I "opened a second connection" to (finance_2021), which made
that current catalog and so that select would give me all tables from
(finance_2021).

I hope now its clearer.

Thank you.