I also had this problem in the past. I ended up having to totally remove
all traces of java from my registry (Download "Advanced Uninstaller" free)
And re-install both x86 and 64 bit versions of Javas's downloader because
I'm running Win7 64 bit.

You may have to do the same, but it's crucial you download the correct
version of Java. There are many versions.

Mike