On Saturday 24 May 2008, Erik Ruotsalainen wrote:
> On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 10:02:50AM +0000, dhk wrote:
> > How can I modify the CFLAGS before emerging a package?  I want to
> > add -g2 to the compile of libxml2 so I can step through their
> > functions.  If I add -g2 to CFLAGS in make.conf it will do it for
> > all packages which is not what I want.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dave
> > --
>
> Same way as with USE flags, I think.
>
> # CFLAGS="-g2" emerge libxml2

This works, but is not recommended.

Portage will not remember those settings in a way that can be
duplicated, so the next time that package gets remerged (especially as
part of a deep update) it will be recompiled without the custom CFLAGS.

This is a serious blunder and non-trivial to detect and fix. It violates
the sacrosanct Law Of No Unexpected Side Effects

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com