On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Dan Cowsill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Dan Cowsill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Alan McKinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >  >
>  >
>  >
>  > > On Thursday 20 March 2008, Dan Cowsill wrote:
>  >  >  > Right, so I have an external USB hard drive always hooked up to my
>  >  >  > machine.  I've a listing in /etc/fstab to mount it at boot.
>  >  >  > Unfortunately, the drive does not boot because localmount can't find
>  >  >  > /dev/sda1.  Now, after the boot process I can find /dev/sda1 and
>  >  >  > mount the drive just fine, leading me to believe that localmount
>  >  >  > tries to mount the drive without populating /dev with USB devices.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > How could I resolve this?
>  >  >
>  >  >  The canonical way is of course to use udev to run a mount script as
> soon
>  >  >  as the usb drive's device is created. This is hard and requires much
>  >  >  googling.
>  >  >
>  >  >  The hackish, kludgy, totally not recommended method that always works
> is
>  >  >  to put a call to 'mount -a' in /etc/local.d/local.start
>  >  >
>  >  >  :-)
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >  --
>  >  >  Alan McKinnon
>  >  >  alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
>  >  >
>  >  >  --
>  >  >  gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
>  >  >
>  >  >

>  Okay, so I wrote a new rule into rules.d that goes like this:
>
>  KERNEL=="sda", RUN+="/bin/mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /home/dcowsill/usb"
>
>  Now, this works (sort of).  If I were to run udevstart, udev would
>  happily execute mount on the usb drive and all would be well.  If the
>  system is restarted or the device is plugged in, no joy.
>
>  So why is this only executing when I use udevstart?

Good work Dan. I'll save this thread for future reference.

As someone who has used lots of external drives in the past you might
want to do your mount by label or some sort of drive specific UUID and
not by /dev/sda1. What can happen over time is that you'll add a
second drive and because USB or 1394 often do device discovery order
by which drive spins up first two identical drives will come up in
random orders which switches your mounting around strangely.

I've had good luck just mounting by label without using udev but I've
wanted to figure this out. You've given me a nice start. thanks.

Cheers,
Mark