Hi all,

I've come across a weird issue. The other day I decided that it's been a while since I've had a good read/write badblocks run through fsck.ext3 on all my partitions.

The problem is with /dev/hdb1 , normally mounted on my Gentoo system as /olddeb since it's a small install of Debian that I keep as a backup.

Robotech / # fsck.ext3 -fccv -C 0 /dev/hdb1
e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
ext2fs_block_iterate: Ext2 file too big while sanity checking the bad blocks inode
Robotech / #

I get the same thing with one -c as well. The partition is unmounted. If I run it without any bad block check I get:

Robotech / # fsck.ext3 -fv -C 0 /dev/hdb1
e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
Pass 2: Checking directory structure Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity Pass 4: Checking reference counts Pass 5: Checking group summary information

   95216 inodes used (19%)
    1854 non-contiguous inodes (1.9%)
         # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 5188/57/0
  636738 blocks used (65%)
       0 bad blocks
       0 large files

   78031 regular files
    7459 directories
    1326 character device files
    4170 block device files
       2 fifos
     364 links
    4217 symbolic links (3987 fast symbolic links)
       2 sockets
--------
   95571 files
Robotech / #

"badblocks -nvs /dev/hdb1" seems to run fine, but I am worried about the "ext2fs_block_iterate: Ext2 file too big while sanity checking the bad blocks inode" message. Any hits I've found about this has other errors occurring as well, usually "DriveReady SeekComplete" errors. As a result, I'm only seeing responses about the other (more serious) errors, no explanation of this specific message. This is the only partition I'm seeing this on, no other error messages at all. Hdb 2,3, and 4 are fine (all ext3).

I remounted /dev/hdb1:
The largest file on it is 71 megabytes. After moving it to another partition, df -h shows:
/dev/hdb1             3.7G  2.4G  1.2G  67% /olddeb

Unmounted and tried again, still getting same message.

Any help is appreciated,
                Paul NM