On 2024-09-26, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> root@Gentoo-1 / # telnet smtp.gmail.com 587
> Trying 142.251.116.108...
> Trying 2607:f8b0:4023:1000::6c...
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Network is unreachable
> root@Gentoo-1 / #
>
> Can't connect. Well, that explains a lot. It can't reach anything to
> log into. It looks like it is trying both IPv4 and v6. So, I used
> ping. It works there.
>
> root@Gentoo-1 / # ping smtp.gmail.com
> PING smtp.gmail.com (142.250.115.108) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from rq-in-f108.1e100.net (142.250.115.108): icmp_seq=1 ttl=53

Those commands are using two different IP addresses.

It's not uncommon that DNS resolvers for heavily used services rotate
through a pool of addresses, but for testing purposes you should pick
a single IP address.

>>> I am connected through a VPN but Seamonkey works fine. I can check and
>>> send email there,
>> Do you mean can send email via Gmail's SMTP server using Seamonkey?
>>
>> How are the SMTP server settings configured in Seamonkey?
>>
>> Is it using Oauth2 or an app password?
>
> I checked, It is using Oauth2. I had to change it a good while back
> but I think SMART could still send emails for a while after that.

Is it using the same port number as msmtp?

>> I just did a quick test, and sending via smtp.gmail.com using an app
>> password worked fine from mutt.  I don't have msmtp set up at the
>> moment.
>
> That is true but why buy one if you can't run it? LOL This is yet
> another reason I want to switch from Gmail. They nothing but nosy
> anyway. I think it is common knowledge that they scan all emails and
> use the info for various things, including ads, which I block by the
> way.

There's nothing wrong with Gmail. The app password feature works
exactly as documented, and is definitely the right way to provide
authentication for "dumb" programs that don't know how to do OAUTH2.