On Thursday 26 September 2024 08:28:47 BST Dale wrote:
> cov...@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Sep 2024 16:43:09 -0400,
> >
> > Dale wrote:

> >> No one here has their system set up to use Gmail for system emails???
> >> Surely there is one person who can share a working config.  I just wish
> >> Google would stop changing things and screwing up our emails.

ssmtp stopped working with a conventional password when Google introduced 2-
Step-Verification for their GMail account.  Consequently, to be able to
continue using ssmtp you need to set up an 'App Password' and use the 16-
character password generated by Google to login:

 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833

It used to be the case you could set up an 'App Password' without having to
provide them with your phone number and other 'none-of-their-business'
personal information, but for some years now they have been asking for more
information to allow you to complete setting up 'App Password' for your Google
account(s) and device(s).

> > I would never use a free Email service to send -- its worth exactly
> > what you pay for!

When the service is offered as being supposedly 'free', you, by providing your
data, is the product.

> Well, I been wanting to switch but can't find one I know I will like
> long term.  I don't want to switch then not like it and have to switch
> again.  Then maybe repeat that a few times.  I was thinking about
> switching to startmail but they started this captcha stuff which makes
> their website unusable for me.  Every time I clicked on something,
> captcha.  Click on something else, captcha.  I stopped using startpage
> completely after reaching out to them and basically, getting little to
> no real help.  Shame really.  Seemed like a good option.

Mass-market services cannot afford providing individual user support.  At best
they may provide some FAQs.  Some may host a forum of sorts for users to offer
support to other users.  Oh, ... hold on!  LOL!

> If you know a email service that isn't to expensive but is secure, not
> secure enough to block me from doing things I need to do tho, I'm open
> to ideas.  I'd like something that is outside the USA if possible.  You
> know, one of those countries that tells folks to go pound sand when they
> want to snoop around.  ;-)

The snooping mostly takes place across borders.  Your government's 3-letter
agencies will ask whichever other hosting country's agencies to share with
them any information they have about you and reciprocate accordingly.  There
is no privacy on the Internet.

That said, if you're interested in limiting opportunistic snooping, something
like this may help:

https://proton.me/mail