On Wed, Sep 25, 2024 at 01:53:49PM +0200, Arsen Arsenović wrote

> I suspect your Firefox anecdote happened due to misconfiguration
> (I think network.http.fast-fallback-to-IPv4 dictates the use of this
> algorithm in Firefox).

  I do not recall ever touching it in about:config.  In my current
browser (Pale Moon) that setting is at its default value of "true".

> As a point of reference, I do nothing to disable IPv6 support, and my
> ISP does not provide IPv6 support, yet I have no added latency due to
> IPv6 support being enabled.  I just get the benefits of better LANs and
> internal networks.
>
> There is no reason to disable IPv6 support, as Eli said (especially if
> yo do not know _what_ you're trying to disable, and are just trying to
> blanket-disable a vague concept of IPv6).

  This is *NOT* about a "vague concept".  This is about solving a bug
that makes browsing unbearable.  I'm not the only one.  See archive
https://public-inbox.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/14d2d8af-e7b9-d5e6-06c1-a7f3ad01a...@gmail.com/

> When syncing portage today I saw what the delay is: apparently it
> tries ipv6 twice, fails, then resorts to ipv4 which works fine.
>
> Most of my systems now have ipv6 support removed, and viola! no
> more delays.

  In his case, the delay was only 10 seconds, but a delay nonetheless.
This raises another point, it was not just Firefox that ran into
problems, but rather anything that talked to the internet.

  Back in January, my ISP migrated me from cable to fibre.  I went from
legacy 10 mbits down 1 up, 200 gigabytes/month quota, to "30 mbits
symmetric unlimited" for the same price.  The fibre service does have
IPV6 enabled, and I'll get around to going IPV6 one of these days,
especially if there's a "flag day" shutdown of IPV4.

--
There are 2 types of people
1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data