Dale wrote:

> This is a option I haven't thought of.  The mv command is a good
> thought.  Next time I have a lot of these to do, I'll try it.  It just
> may work.  Plus, tab completion would be a nice bonus.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Well, I ran into a slight problem.  This isn't much of a problem with
Linux but I'm not sure how this would work on windoze tho.  The problem,
if it is one, is the file extension.  Let's say I have a mp4 file that
is the older original file that I intend to replace.  If the file I
intend to put in its place is a .mkv file, mv uses the .mp4 extension
because all it cares about is the name of the file, not what it is or
its content.  So, I end up with a .mkv file that has a .mp4 extension.
It works here on Linux but not sure about windoze and such.

I looked at the man page and I don't see a way to tell it to retain the
extension.  I see something about suffix but I don't think that is
related to this.  If I just backspace and change the extension, it
basically moves the file and I end up with both the old and new file.  I
wish I could write code and create a tool for this.  :/

Is there a way to work around this problem?  It works great except for
losing the file extension.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)