Jude DaShiell wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Oct 2020, John Covici wrote:
>
>> Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 00:09:16
>> From: John Covici <cov...@ccs.covici.com>
>> To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
>> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user]
>>
>> On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 19:49:54 -0400,
>> Jude DaShiell wrote:

>>> --
>>>
>>> A search through options made no mention of anything connected to
>>> accessibility.  Trying to install a different kernel source has everything
>>> masked.  I'll read up on masking next, but it's looking like I'm going to
>>> have to erase everything back to the get stage3 step again and get a less
>>> current stage3 to get anything installed at all.
>> You don't need to do that, you can unmask anything depending on the
>> reason.  Didn't the autounmask  option fix your problem?
>>
>> You can also use the 5.4.66 stable version.
>> Also, even in 5.8.13 speakup is still in staging and I did a search
>> and found it in  drivers/staging/speakup, so you can certainly try
>> that or whatever version of 5.8 you have.

I'm not sure why you felt wiping the hard drive was needed.  Generally,
you can stop and come back and finish a install at pretty much any point
without losing anything.  It may be helpful to read through the handbook
first and then do the install.  I read the install docs a few times
before I tried to do my first install.  It helps to know how to work
through things without getting frustrated or confused on what to do to
get though a problem.

That said, you;ve learned how some things work so next time should be a
bit easier.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)