Am Samstag, 23. März 2013, 11:59:57 schrieb staticsafe:
> On 3/23/2013 8:17, Sascha Cunz wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I'm glad to see that my mail from yesterday did finally leave the queue
> > of my netqmail install.
> >
> > I'm recently having trouble to send mail to lists.gentoo.org via my
> > netqmail. It says that it is _temporarily_ unable to do a CNAME lookup.
> > But mails stay in queue until they eventually bounce. I have now
> > configured
> > a static smtp route to pigeon.gentoo.org and mails seem to go through.
> >
> > I'm currently using google's DNS in /etc/resolv.conf (But the results from
> > the DNS server of my ISP are the same):
> >
> > I think that the real problem is, that $(dig @8.8.8.8 lists.gentoo.org
> > any) [1] doesn't give me a MX-Record at all. Also, directly asking for a
> > MX-Record doesn't seem to report one[2].
> >
> > I'm not too deep into DNS, so I'm asking for any clues on how to really
> > solve this issue?
> >
> > Sascha
[...]

> In your DNS queries you did "list.gentoo.org", the actual FQDN is
> "lists.gentoo.org"
>
> root@hellhound ~ # dig MX lists.gentoo.org
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> MX lists.gentoo.org
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 6
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;lists.gentoo.org.              IN      MX
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> lists.gentoo.org.       43200   IN      MX      10 lists.gentoo.org.

Oh, I see, you're right of course that was a typo in my testing - and indeed
with the typo fixed I get correct looking MX-Records via dig from both google
and my ISP. However, that makes me just a bit more curious on what's going
wrong here.

I'll remove my smtproute before sending this mail. Just in case it was really
some "temporary" thing for approximately the last two weeks.

Sascha