Am 24.01.2013 00:27, schrieb Silvio Siefke:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 20:48:49 +0100
> Florian Philipp <li...@binarywings.net> wrote:
[...]
>> What kind of workload do we talk about? Properly "niced" and "ioniced"
>> compile jobs? Is the freeze temporary?
>
> If I run a program, depending on the size the System Freeze for
> few seconds. When i start emerge -s, emerge --sync, emerge what ever the
> system freeze. Its ever temporary but its make crazy.

Hmm, the last time I encountered something like this, DMA was
deactivated for the hard disk. That happened because the wrong driver
(generic IDE) took over. What raw throughput do you get?
`dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=4M count=100 iflag=direct`

>> Odd. Maybe GPU related? Again, does the system recover?
>
> No GPU is deactivated. When have more then 10 tabs, system hang.

You mean you have not enabled drm and/or use the generic vesa driver?
Maybe something is trying to use opengl and software emulation slows you
down.

>> Doesn't surprise me. P4 and Atom are both horrible micro architectures.
>> But Atom is also horribly stripped down and has a lower clock frequency.
>
> Oh, okay i know Atom is shit, but P4. Which architecture is recommended
> for?

P4s suffer because their pipeline is very long and poorly utilized. In
fact, they can execute fewer instructions per clock tick than a P3.
Anything newer is a vast improvement, especially Core2 and newer.

Regards,
Florian Philipp