Apparently, though unproven, at 19:05 on Monday 25 October 2010, Neil Bothwick
did opine thusly:

> On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 19:55:53 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> > Not what you asked for, but my advise is to upgrade to a newer version
> > of Workstation :P  7.1.2 is the current version (and it's in the
> > "vmware" overlay.)
>
> $100+tax is a lot to pay to upgrade something you only use sporadically.

This is also not the kind of solution you wanted, but I got fed up with the
eternal bullshit of dealing with vmware. All that nonsense with aany-any not
actually building with a kernel more recent than $X months where X is always
kinda large.....

Installed VirtualBox. Build/get new appliance if necessary. All issues sorted.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com