Cornelia Menzel wrote:

>On 21:25 Tue 17 May      , Rumen Yotov wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>Think that making a link "ln -s /usr/bin/nbsmtp /usr/sbin/sendmail will
>>do the trick (or virtual/mta).
>>HTH. Rumen
>>

>Hello Rumen,
>
>Thank you very much for your help. The problem is that I would have to install
>sendmail.
>
>Regarding the error message, it is clear, that the solution would be pointing
>to my (already installed) mta, which is
>nbsmtp. But I did not find any hint in internet how I can realise that using
>emerge. As emerge is the way to install
>software under Gentoo, I was wondering how other users change options using
>emerge (if there is a way to do that).
>
>The programm needs to be compiled with the following option:
>
>./configure --with-mta=/usr/bin/nbsmtp
>
>Is there a way to do that under Gentoo?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Kind regards,
>Nelly

Hi Nelly,
It all depends on what you wanna do. Generally speaking there are two
main choices for sending a mail.
*First* install your own mail-server (sendmail,qmail,postfix) or
*second* install some minimal server which will forward the mail to a
relayhost/mailhub (your ISP) - ssmtp,nbsmtp etc. Second choice is lot
easier as a start.
Just read the official gentoo-docs about mail, quite all needed info is
there (incl. ssmtp,nbsmtp install, usage).
nbsmtp is in portage so you only have to run: "emerge nbsmtp -pv" then
grop the "p". You're not *required* to install sendmail to have a
working mail setup.
Just sharing my experience here (i'm using qmail).
HTH. Rumen