Here's my silo.conf:

# Example of how can be silo.conf set up
partition = 1
root = /dev/sda1
timeout = 300

default = Linux

image = /boot/kernel-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3
        initrd = /boot/initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.bmeyer
        label = Linux2624gr3
        alias = Linux
        append = "video=atyfb:off real_root=/dev/sda1"

The 'initrd' image is one I modified. The original genkernel generated image is
/boot/initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3 and did not seem to have a
/lib/firmware directory, nor did it seem to have any modules, such as the one I
very much need - qla2xxx. I generated the new one via the following method:

zcat -d ../initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3 >
initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.file
cpio -i -d -H newc --no-absolute-filenames <
./initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.file

I then added the following directories:
/lib/firmware
/lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r3/kernel/drivers/base
/lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r3/kernel/drivers/scsi
/lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r3/kernel/drivers/sbus

I also did a 'touch' of all the module names in /etc/modules to try to add
them. But I don't see them getting loaded right.

And created a new initrd via:

find ./ | cpio -Hnewc -o >
/boot/initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.bmeyer.cpio
gzip initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.bmeyer.cpio
mv initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.bmeyer.cpio.gz
initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.bmeyer

The system boots, and I think it now finds the initrd image - my first error
was I had 'initrd' instead of 'initramfs' in silo.conf; however, it is still
not working.
It theoretically loads the modules (though I see no evidence of the qla2xxx
controller being found), starts mdev, and tries to mount /dev/sda1 - at which
point it can't find /dev/sda1 since the qla2xxx controller has not yet been
found and initialized, and crashes. Despite the message about starting a shell,
pressing 'q' or anything else - I can't use STOP+A to get back to the PROM, nor
can I use CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart the system. I have to power-cycle to reboot.

Per #3 - I do seem to have CONFIG_PROM_CONSOLE enabled. I will try that the
next time I build the kernel. Thanks for the tip. Right now I just need to get
the system fully booting. (Then I can rebuild the kernel appropriately.)

Thanks!

Ben