[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Topics (messages 228 throught 231):

[gentoo-laptop] problems with dma
     228 - edgar Sanchez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     229 - =?iso-8859-1?Q?Marco_M=FCller?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     230 - Luis Ortiz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[gentoo-laptop] Setting up PCMCIA NIC
     231 - Tim Haughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject:
[gentoo-laptop] problems with dma
From:
edgar Sanchez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 17:18:19 +0100
To:
gentoo-laptop@lists.gentoo.org

To:
gentoo-laptop@lists.gentoo.org

hi:
i have an acer 4152lmi laptop,& i cannot activate de dma

hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
Can anybody help me?
thx

Re: [gentoo-laptop] problems with dma
i have an acer 4152lmi laptop,& i cannot activate de dma

hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
Can anybody help me?

I had a similar problem with a debian machine. I solved it by starting some ide driver modules in a different order.

c ya
thancxs macxs

Re: [gentoo-laptop] problems with dma
i have an acer 4152lmi laptop,& i cannot activate de dma

hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
using_dma    =  0 (off)
Can anybody help me?
thx

Make sure you compiled your kernel with DMA Support
  Device Drivers --->
     <*> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
     [*]    PCI IDE chipset support
     [*]        Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
     [*]         Use PCI DMA by default when available
Also know your laptop. There are some other options under "ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL
support" specific to hardware. You may have to select the appropriate so you can
use DMA. For example my laptop is a Compaq Presario r3000 model and the
motherboard is a nVidia nForce3, so I selected in "AMD and nVidia IDE support".

I hope I'm not wrong, and I hope this helps.

--
Luis Ortiz