On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 20:08 +0200, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> Always. I'm not familiar with Nagios (only on lappy and lguest test
> images) so any help is appreciated. I just committed my current draft
> state (not much, but it shows the structure I'm hoping to go with as
> well as the content I want to address in the guide).

Ahh.  I use Nagios 2 and Nagios 3 to monitor Gentoo, Red Hat, NetApp
Filers, Solaris, Cisco switches/routers/firewalls, power distribution
units, etc.

> What I definitely need is some input on monitoring other systems (the
> NRPE plugin, with SSL, and check_ssh) with information about the
> differences between the methods (I suppose NRPE is a somewhat active
> approach whereas check_ssh is more a passive "pull" approach).

Well, those aren't the only options.  In fact, I recommend using
*neither* of them, unless your hosts are on a remote network.

> You're free to edit the guide, even with just some <pre> tags to help
> me with the technical stuff :-)

Sure.  I'll send my edits here first, though.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead