> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > (snipped)
>
> Templates seem a bit . . . hackish. Mostly we also need
> documentation writers to be/who are comfortable with working
> with the XML code itself, tags and all.

First of all, we need _documentation_ and _documentation writers, don't we?

> WYSIWYG editors just don't strike me as a good idea for
> working on docs. Plus someone would have to make extensions
> to it every time another feature or three is added to
> GuideXML, like neysx's recent code highlights.

So, the template is the way: any good XML editor with a template
behaves well when the doc doesn't fit template: it just switches to
raw mode ;-)

Afaicr, making extension to 100-200 lines of template is still
far easier than patching a brand-new WYSIWYG editor, too.

> As long as users can use a plain text editor (gedit, leafpad,
> mousepad, bluefish, etc.), all they have to do (besides
> validating it with xmllint before
> committing) is run it through YosWink's repodoc [1], a
> thorough GuideXML QA checker.

How 'bout "Gentoo is about choice"?

> No need for big heavy editors like OOo and lots of extra
> plugins/templates/etc. :)

OOo etc could make editing more productive for those not familiar
with XML odds - just imagine why translation of Gentoo doc is
so slow and weak?

> Still, if this gets off the ground, I'll give it a test
> drive. I'm not big on WYSIWYG, but I'll try it out.

Thank you anyway.

--achumakov