Sam James <[email protected]> writes:

> Sam James <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> "Haelwenn (lanodan) Monnier" <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> [2025-08-04 23:33:15+0100] Sam James:
>>>>This lets us avoid suid in many cases and I can't see a reason to not
>>>>do it. USE=caps generally means "use libcap (or libcap-ng) to have needed
>>>>privileges, rather than suid". sys-libs/libcap is an unconditional 
>>>>dependency
>>>>of important packages anyway like sya-apps/openrc, sys-auth/elogind, and
>>>>sys-apps/systemd.
>>>>
>>>>There is an argument against filecaps/xattr by default, but we *do*
>>>>enable those by default already and we just disable them for stages to
>>>>allow portability and unpacking to exotic filesystems.
>>>>
>>>>Prompted by bug #961054 (which was a problem in another regard or two,
>>>>but nonetheless reminded us about this).
>>>>
>>>>Bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/961054
>>>>Signed-off-by: Sam James <[email protected]>
>>>
>>> I think it's a bit awkward to enable caps to disable suid,
>>
>> See below. There's two issues:
>> 1) filecaps.eclass having strange behaviour where USE=-filecaps means
>> you get suid by default (bug #811105), perhaps even if it's completely
>> wrong
>>
>> 2) Having caps > suid when both are valid, legitimate options for a package.
>>
>>> they are quite different and that means USE=caps can mean granting
>>> additional privileges instead of getting rid of suid.
>>>
>>> And it's not just future, like I'm noticing those two from a quick
>>> grep caps profiles/use.local.desc
>>>
>>> dev-util/bpftool:caps - Use sys-libs/libcap to enable unprivileged run 
>>> support
>>> media-tv/kodi:caps - Use sys-libs/libcap to bind to privileged ports as 
>>> non-root
>>>
>>
>> This is indeed a prickly bit. I'm not really sure what the alternative
>> is.
>>
>> I see a few options:
>> 1) We rename USE=caps in those packages to something else (what?)
>> 2) We abandon USE=caps for the majority of packages and always have
>> USE=suid toggle the other case, and USE=caps becomes for the
>> bpftool/kodi/"more privileges, and if it's off, you get nothing" cases
>
> I should say that making USE=suid do this would likely be unpopular,
> given it's not very future-looking (weird to start introducing a USE
> flag all over the place when users will usually want it *off* and the
> thing the USE flag is named after (suid) is considered on-the-way-out.)

I realise now that the premise is mistaken and my commit message was
wrong: USE=caps doesn't help us avoid suid, it helps us drop privileges
more often in general. It's not the same as USE=filecaps.

See, I know the difference, and I still keep mixing them up! Bad naming
:(

>
>> 3)
>> 3a) We eat it and live with it
>> 3b) We eat it and live with it but disable via package.use for some
>> packages
>>
>> What else?
>>
>>> Instead I think ones like htop should have IUSE=suid, like bubblewrap
>>> does for example.
>>>
>>
>> This is tangential, I think. See the discussion in bug 811105. I think
>> it's reasonable for us to simply not support suid for such cases unless
>> someone files a bug making a compelling argument.
>>
>> (For htop, it wasn't even intentional.)
>>
>>> Best regards
>>
>> sam

Reply via email to