On Wed, 2024-09-25 at 14:41 -0400, Ionen Wolkens wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2024 at 02:05:10PM -0400, Eli Schwartz wrote:
> > Chewi was also trying to see if portage can be convinced to stage the
> > same package twice with different USE flags in the same emerge process
> > in order to solve cyclical USE flag dependencies, but it's not a
> > guarantee...
>
> I see it more as giving us hope of being able to remove whatever
> horrible hack we implement eventually, but I think the horrible
> hack will have to exist in the interim.

Yes, the glib/gobject-introspection conflict was my main test case. It was an
interesting one because it also involved some blockers. I pushed my half baked
idea up to GitHub in the hope that Zac or someone could maybe take it and
actually make it work properly. The results so far have shown that it at least
seems feasible. Once complete, we could get it out the door quite quickly.

As for GNOME, I'm afraid I don't use it, but I do recognise the importance
these packages have even on my KDE system, so I am very grateful for Leio's
hard work.