Hey folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with different values for MAKEOPTS="-jx" on Athlon 64 X2's. The guides usually suggest # of cores/processors plus one. Looking at "man make.conf" doesn't help much, it just says "Suggested settings are between CPUs+1 and 2*CPUs+1". The only thing "man make" mentions about the "-j" option is "If the -j option is given without an argument, make will not limit the number of jobs that can run simultaneously." I've also seen some mentions of -j9 by people with dual core systems elsewhere, indicating it drastically speed up some emerges.

So this leaves me with several possibilities. There's -j3 (current setting), -j5, -j (no limit), -j9, or some other random number. Any suggestions/warnings/links would be appreciated.

Thanks,
        PaulNM