On Tuesday 14 Feb 2006 11:56, Duncan wrote:
> Guy Harrison posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>
> excerpted below,  on Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:26:16 +0000:
> >>
> >> with startbar you mean kicker?
> >
> > Not sure. I've never thought to wonder what it is actually called!
> > The drop down menu which holds all the apps along with "most used
> > Applications", "All Applications", "Actions" sections in it.
>
> OK, the whole set of panels, however many you may run, and whatever you
> run on them, is "kicker".  The specific button you are referring to,
> with the K on it, that contains the menu with all those entries, is the
> "KMenu".  KMenu is of course just one button out of all sorts of
> buttons, applets, and additional extension panels, that is possible to
> put in kicker.  As it happens, the KMenu is one of several there by
> default.

Understood.

> >> it really sounds like something ate your configs. If we are still
> >> talking about kicker, its config is in .kde/share/config/ called
> >> kickerrc.
> >
> > Well this really is nuts - they're back! I was certain all the KDE
> > apps had vanished when I first started posting various places on
> > friday. Yesterday I was scratching my head thinking I'd lost my
> > memory when the unused kde apps were back. Today, I return from work
> > (having accessed via ssh again) and not only are they all back but so
> > are the file associations. The most bizarre is rxvt - it has regained
> > its arguments in kmenuedit. At least the kde apps were either there
> > or not whereas rxvt has been "there a bit".
>
> Well, you /did/ say you were looking for an "automatic" way to get it
> back.  It just turned out more "automatic" than you expected!  =8^)  Of
> course, the down side to that is that because it came back on its own,
> you really can't be sure what caused it to disappear in the first
> place. =8^(

Yeah! It seemed complicated enough, especially with me not knowing the
terminology, so I hadn't even bothered to mention that across that time
the machine has both been powered up & powered off without either
seemingly having an effect either way. In addition I fire up X manually
and neither quitting it nor leaving it running seemed to be relevant. The
apps just came back as & when they felt like it.

> > Anyway, can you confirm it is kicker I'm describing or not please?
> > While it's working I'd like to understand what the settings should be
> > lest it happen again.
>
> Yes, it is, or rather, the KMenu is just one of the kicker applets.

Cheers. If I can trouble you with a further question, within kickerrc
[Kmenu] where do I go next to find its entries?

> As for everything regaining all the arguments and file associations,
> that's not entirely surprising, since KDE normally stores those as
> attributes of the menu items in the KMenu.  When you lost access to the
> menu, KDE lost access to all its file associations and the like as
> well. Whatever restored the menu therefore restored the file
> associations, since they are stored in the same place.

Understood.

TIA
Guy