On 17/10/2024 18:03, Karen Lewellen wrote:
Others can speak to how available these Raspberry pie things are world wide, how  easy to configure independently, I take it no software is needed to run them?

A Raspberry Pi is a cheap computer the size of a large box of matches. Instead of a hard disk it uses a micro SD card. If fitted with a properly prepared SD card it can perform any type of specialized function. My idea is to prepare a tiny system with emubns and Piper. Such system would be available for download as a disk image so anyone wanting to turn their Raspberry Pi into a Braille 'n Speak synthesizer would just have to write my image on the SD card and insert it into a Pi. No other configuration or special knowledge required.

Still, if your  software speech solution is great quality, can be coded across the board and so forth it might be a feather for a  wide population.

It's unlikely that such "emubns on pi" would be useful to the greater number. There are plenty of synthesizer systems available these days, many embedded in modern operating systems so there is no practical need for a clunky piece of extra hardware just for TTS. I think this "emubns on pi" project might be useful only to a very niche population of sight-deprived people that use a PC with DOS. But this population is certainly having some solution already, like you, so ultimately I may very well be the only user of this contraption that I'm building. Anyway, I will see where this leads and if/when I have a working BNS-on-RPi system I will drop a quick note here.

Mateusz