On Thu, Oct 17, 2024 at 06:49:30AM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2024 at 10:46:44AM -0300, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > >
> > > ODP is a lot simpler than NVMe for P2P actually :(
> >
> > What is your thinking there? I'm looking at the latest patches and I
> > would expect dma_iova_init() to accept a phys so it can call
> > pci_p2pdma_map_type() once for the whole transaction. It is a slow
> > operation.
>
> You can't do it for the whole transaction.  Here is my suggestion
> for ODP:
>
> http://git.infradead.org/?p=users/hch/misc.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/dma-split-wip

OK, this looks very promising. I sketched something similar to the
pci-p2pdma changes a while back too.

BTW this:

  iommu: generalize the batched sync after map interface

I am hoping to in a direction of adding a gather to the map, just like
unmap. So eventually instead of open coding iotlb_sync_map() you'd
flush the gather and it would do it.

> For NVMe I need to figure out a way to split bios on a per P2P
> type boundary as we don't have any space to record if something is a bus
> mapped address.

Yeah this came up before :\ Can't precompute the p2p type during bio
creation, splitting based on pgmap would be good enough.

Jason