On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> In your folder are:
> {^ for item in folder ^}
> {{ item }},
> {^ endfor ^}
>
> This would render as "In your folder are: item1,item2,item3,"
>
> Changing some of the carets:
>
> In your folder are:
> {% for item in folder ^}
> {{ item }},
> {^ endfor %}
>
> This would render as "In your folder are:\nitem1,item2,item3,\n"

Fwiw, I had a different solution to this problem once, which I implemented
in a project using jinja to generate configuration files:

    1. Prior to processing the template, replace all blank lines with a
       tag (e.g. "BLANKLINE").

    2. After processing the template, remove all blank lines.

    3. Remove all instances of BLANKLINE, which restores the blank lines
       the author intended.

This works remarkably well, and the output is easy to predict by the
template author. For the case you mentioned above, you would still need to
join the lines, though:

    {% for item in folder %}{{ item }},{% endfor %}

Aron