On Wednesday, August 18, 2021 7:43:48 PM CEST Karl Pielorz wrote:
> --On 18 August 2021 16:40 +0200 "J. Roeleveld via Devel"
>
> <devel@cyrus.topicbox.com> wrote:
> > Not certain, but before I configure Cyrus to do it on a schedule itself,
> > I had  the following in my crontab:
> > /bin/su -s /bin/sh -c "/usr/sbin/squatter -v -r -i user" cyrus
>
> Ok, I might test if that actually rebuilds the directories etc.

There are other commands that can help fixing the rest of the metadata.

> >> Anyone know if it's more tolerant if the files are missing - rather than
> >> the whole directory?
> >
> > I don't think I ever had cyrus fail to start due to missing files, I
> > always had  it happily rebuild it on startup.
> > Only exception to this was when the format changed, but it was
> > well-documented  on how to convert the format.
>
> It didn't fail to start - it started just fine, but every mailbox that was
> opened was displayed by the client as "Not available" - because whilst
> Cyrus could get to the mail messages spool hierarchy and files, none of the
> squat containing directories on the other partition existed, except "spool".

Squatter isn't necessary for the mailboxes to be visible. Sounds like the rest
isn't accessible. Did you replace the metadata partition that you configured?
If that is not writable, it can explain the missing mailboxes/emails.

> I'll try running a few tests on a smaller system - see if I can figure it
> out...

I would definitely try " reconstruct " if mail clients don't see anything.
>From the man-page:

RECONSTRUCT(8)

NAME
       reconstruct - Cyrus IMAP documentation